Posts: 121 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
As far as I know there are some Wimax trials on both side of the big ditch, and plans to roll out country /state wide this spring. In some parts of NL Wimax is available, and I understand Sprint is rolling out on the Eastcoast of the US.

1. Can somebody provide an update of the WIMAX availability in the USA?
2. What would be the advantage for an NIT with WiMAX compared with an ITT/bluetooth linked to a mobile phone with UMTS or another 3G connection?

Hope somebody can give some info on this?

Thanks, Abel.

Last edited by AbelMN; 2008-03-30 at 07:31. Reason: Typo

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by OppositeOfIgnorance View Post
that sucks
It is what it is, and for cellular data access, it doesn't "suck".

so is wi-fi here to stay?
802.11N is picking up steam. No, Wifi isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Originally Posted by debudebu View Post
so nobody has even a guess as to how much sprint's wimax will cost?
Somewhere in the $40-$80 range. There are a couple announcements from early 2007 hinting at something like $55. This may or may not have changed.

Originally Posted by AbelMN View Post
2. What would be the advantage for an ITT with WiMAX compared with an ITT/bluetooth linked to a mobile phone with UMTS or another 3G connection?
It should be fairly obvious. No need for a cellphone/only need to carry one device, no Bluetooth-imposed speed limits, potentially better access terms than 3g, etc.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-03-29 at 17:20.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
that sucks
so is wi-fi here to stay?

and how far off do u think the ACTUAL n810 successor is? (hopefully with sdhc)
does not the current firmware support sdhc, or have i missed something?

Originally Posted by tso View Post
does not the current firmware support sdhc, or have i missed something?
He means fullsize SD (as opposed to Mini or MicroSD).

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
WiMAX has nothing to do with Wifi. It is basically a cellular data service. So, pretty much, no.
Disagree.

Both are wireless broadband, and that is all what counts for the consumer market.

WiMAX in Europe is provided by Internet providers, although cellular providers may (did/will) join.

Of course there are fundamental technical differences between WiMAX (G3 and up to 50 km) and Wifi. WiMax should be an improvement, but currently there are still concerns on interference, range, and the centralised concept. We 'll see.

Regarding the technical differences: both alligators and crocodiles are ugly animals and both with $ and € you can buy a beer; ain't that true !

Abel.

Last edited by AbelMN; 2008-03-29 at 17:55. Reason: typing on a N800 is a sport.

Disagree
Fine, but you're replying to my post out of context. OppositeOfIgnorance's question was to whether WiMAX would be replacing Wifi at the consumer level (i.e. for home and business wireless LAN access), which is obviously does not.

Both are wireless Broadband, and that is all what is counts for the market.
Erm, not really. In a general sense, yeah, technical specifics tend to not to be important the market, but they really accomplish two different things. Wifi is a consumer-level short-range wireless LAN standard that has also been tasked to provide semi-fixed access at the city and neighborhood range (potentially as an ISP of sorts), while WiMAX is a long-range last-mile and mobile-broadband access standard that wont be used for personal LAN access in-home.

They're two very different things (despite an evidently consumer-confusing similarity in name).

WiMAX in Europe is provided by Internet providers, although cellular providers may join.
Yes, if you see the wikipedia article on WiMAX, it is being offered as a last-mile alternative to things like cable and DSL as well as for cellular data access, but this doesn't make it similar to Wifi.

Of course there are fundamental technical differences between WiMAX and Wifi.
Yes, they serve two different purposes.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
but seriously. It has almost been two years since there was a hardware upgrade( i mean cpu/ram) and we still dont have any changes!
There are no dramatic changes in Nokia phones too. And people love to buy it
My next phone will be a OpenMoko Freerunner. Now I know what I like (Linux, one device to take with me) and what I get (a developer and not a consumer device).

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by slha89 View Post
There are no dramatic changes in Nokia phones too. And people love to buy it
My next phone will be a OpenMoko Freerunner. Now I know what I like (Linux, one device to take with me) and what I get (a developer and not a consumer device).
But we here are talking about mobile computers..... and in this day and age..... it is really hard for me to see any other device having the same hardware for 2 whole years and counting.

Nokia desperately needs a move on.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
it is really hard for me to see any other device having the same hardware for 2 whole years and counting.
It's time to learn how to count. <_<

January 8th, 2007 -> March 29th, 2008 is 447 days or 1 year, 2 months, and 22 days, which is nowhere close to 2 years.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It's time to learn how to count. <_<

January 8th, 2007 -> March 29th, 2008 is 447 days or 1 year, 2 months, and 22 days, which is nowhere close to 2 years.
I mean by the time the n900 is released it will almost be thereabouts!