Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
People were quick to hold onto Nokia's vaguely cited number of 100,000 in the first 5 weeks without any proof (read: Nokia just "said" a number, didn't qualify it at all) and people just accepted it. I don't, I won't.
you want 100.000 sales slips?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
That is a rather telling pattern... Their silence is truly deafening...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
you want 100.000 sales slips?
Do you want to ask another puerile question?

No. I want sales figures, not the word of some anonymous figure within their corporation. I want the corporation to announce it, of course.

They won't announce at all how many N900's has been sold, ever.

Because, right now, it's still their most powerful device. We, here, know that it wasn't intended for massive use; so it would be reasonable to us that it sold, let's say, only 1 million compared to the 10 million of the 5800 and N97.

But would you expect the media to be so reasonable? Hell no. They would only quote the lone number and blogs would explode in orgasmic posts about how the top offer from Nokia fails to match the combined sales of the original iPhone, 3G, 3GS, the projected sales of 4; how Nokia's only chance of regaining the top now lies in tatters; etc etc.

I'm with Nokia on this one.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@mrojas: that's a whole lotta apologist talk, mate
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@mrojas: that's a whole lotta apologist talk, mate
Man, it has happened already. Wish I would be exagerating.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
you know: my company doesn't announce how many customers they have for each product. neither do others. why should nokia?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
They won't announce at all how many N900's has been sold, ever.
Why not?

Because, right now, it's still their most powerful device. We, here, know that it wasn't intended for massive use; so it would be reasonable to us that it sold, let's say, only 1 million compared to the 10 million of the 5800 and N97.
Most powerful? Then why not announce your best product's sales? Makes no sense to surround your most powerful offering with no claims of sale numbers, no official marketing outside of the European and recently launched countries and no upgrade path to MeeGo that doesn't require community support. For the "most open" and "most powerful"... there seems to be a lot of mystery around this phone.

I doubt that it's sold 1 million. But it's up to Nokia to prove that wrong. Not the community that supports it.

But would you expect the media to be so reasonable? Hell no. They would only quote the lone number and blogs would explode in orgasmic posts about how the top offer from Nokia fails to match the combined sales of the original iPhone, 3G, 3GS, the projected sales of 4; how Nokia's only chance of regaining the top now lies in tatters; etc etc.
I don't expect reasonable on such a polarizing gadget. I do expect realistic and rational. The silence they're offering is neither. It's a leap of faith that enables many other people to think way too much, or too little without really affirming either.

I'm with Nokia on this one.
Glad you are. I'm not. I can find numbers for the HTC models, I can find sales numbers for even Motorola Droid. I can find numbers for prior Nokia N-series phones. But I can't find one for any Maemo device? There's a part of this experiment that's missing... and I don't quite like it.

Some may, I don't. That's my opinion.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
you know: my company doesn't announce how many customers they have for each product. neither do others. why should nokia?
I guess you're willing to overlook the known fact that they have in the past.

If they had never given a sales number out for any other N-series phone, I wouldn't have ever had that expectation.

But they have. Sure, I could look at their raw numbers but there is no break down. That's been historically done by Nokia themselves.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I doubt that it's sold 1 million.
I don't. Given Nokia's global reach, the fact that the N900 was subsidized in some regions, and the fact that there was a return policy in place leads me to see 1 million as reasonable.

Of course, I'd like to see return numbers alongside that...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
fanboy denial