Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
According to the info theres 3 internal usb ports. Would be nice if when docked with the keyboard we could have one or two on there as well, for using a cd/dvd drive mainly.
That's what the two external ports could be used for. The advantage is that you can use the extra stuff even if you don't plan on attaching the keyboard.

This appears to be a seriously cool product, if they can make it a reality. If it comes to market, and it's priced as they expect - $299 - and it does the job, it will most definitely be at the top of the list to replace my N800...

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
I think I might email the company and ask some of the questions we have or see if someone could visit this forum and answer some.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
And, yet, Nokia manages to sell phones in the US that aren't vetted through carriers as well as selling phones that are vetted through carriers. That would seem to contradict your scenario.
In NL, and AFAIK in EU -where Nokia has a big market penetration of what is it, 60%?- it is very normal to sell cellphones (and smartphones) together with a 1 or 2 year contract. Cheaper cellphones are also sold pre-pay. In Greece this is illegal to sell together, and the iPhone for example must (by law) also be sold seperately in Germany. However, it then costs like 1000 EUR.

Also, the Nokia E71 has alreasy a follow-up. I own an E71 and I love it, but the follow-up also fixes some issues I have with my E71. Such as a slightly better keyboard layout. We're also seeing slide-out keyboards. Don't forget some applications are heavily focussed on keypad usage interaction. To use these on your E71 you need to use a shortcut (shift+number) on small keys while on 99% of phones you just press numbers on a bigger keypad.

Personally I'd love to see the laws change here to end all the stupid ******ed bundling that goes on with cellular contracts. It's just a huge gotcha that needs to be stopped. The thing is, I doubt it'll happen, since the cellular providers know that it's more lucrative to have locked in phones, and feature lockin than it is to have an open network system (like in Germany) where the user is in charge. Of course, given the fact that there's getting to be a bigger and bigger backlash against vendor lockin and a growing cry for user freedom, that could all change.

I agree with ya LR, the more of these little startups that make these awesome devices that actually do what we want them to do and for a low price, I dont think $400 is too much for a seemingly awesome device with the added bonus of a good f*** you to the big corporations while helping a relatively small buisness.

I emailed A.I. and asked a few questions I could think of of the top of my head and here they are.

To: contact@alwaysinnovating.com
Cc:
Subject: Question Touch Book

I have a few questions regarding features that I and other people on a
forum that Im a member of we need some clarification on.

1. When programs are installed, to what memory are the installed, the
microSD?
[AI] The microSD card performs the same function a hard drive does on a standard computer. That's where programs will go by default, but, depending on the app, you may also be able to run it off of a USB thumb drive connected to one of the internal USB parts.

2. How does the cover come off to access the internal USB, and would
it be possible to order an extra cover or two..as there are some
modders that would be interested in integrating a usb card reader into
the cover.
[AI] There's a small latch on the cover you use to disconnect it. Unfortunately, I don't know whether or not we'll be able to sell spare covers, but we'll most likely be able to work something out.

3. Will apps from any other linux distribution be able to be
installed on the touchbook? Something in particular that has been
asked is if a usb gps dongle can be put inside, will there be any
support if there are linux drivers for it and if any navigation
programs are possible.
[AI] Most Linux applications will run on the Touch Book, depending primarily on whether or not the app can run on an ARM processor (most applications don't care what processor they're used with, but some will require ports). In general, if the drivers for an accessory are included in the Linux kernel, you'll be able to use that accessory with your Touch Book.

Anything else anyone can think of that I can ask?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Yes.

1) When will it be available?

2) When can I have one?

3) When will it go on sale?

4) WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN?

Oh, and, when? :-)

Personally, I'd love to see a version with a format like the Pepperpad or Samsung Q1 Ultra (meaning "split thumb keyboards on either side of the screen"). Maybe in 7" screen size. Though, at the price they're asking, maybe I'll buy an extra one to see how hard it is to mod...

Ill bet craves1 could do some awesome things with this. I mainly just want to integrate a usb card reader into the outside edge of the case.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
The thing is, I doubt it'll happen, since the cellular providers know that it's more lucrative to have locked in phones, and feature lockin than it is to have an open network system (like in Germany) where the user is in charge.
Greece, you mean.

That the iPhone was also sold seperate without contract (unlocked) in Germany is entirely cosmetic to comply with law because Vodafone DE wanted to sue T-Mobile DE over this [1]. Say you're a German. If you'd buy the thing with contract you'd be cheaper off than when buying the iPhone without contract and then you don't even have a contract yet! So no German in their right mind bought the iPhone in Germany for 1000 EUR.

Instead, places in Europe where the iPhone is cheaper are: Belgium, Italy, Switzerland, and Greece. There is then also no import tax. Price was something like 450-600 EUR. What Vodafone NL did was a campaign with a 'supersim'. They recommended you'd buy an unlocked iPhone and combine this with their 'supersim' which costed like 13 EUR a month. This would yield you an approx similar experience as T-Mobile NL with some + (full HSDPA speed, far better coverage than T-Mobile NL) and some - (no visual voicemail) when compared. Price would be similar (30 EUR a month at T-Mobile NL for the cheapest package they offer). Both these contracts are for 2 years.

Personally, I prefer 1 year contracts. Although these are a bit more expensive. I also prefer unbranded (better for resale, looks better, no sim lock, paid in advance instead of higher monthly burden) but doing so is simply more expensive than a combination deal with either 1 of the 3 major telcos (Vodafone, T-Mobile, KPN).

[1] http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/iphone-wa...ted-325298.php

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-04-10 at 10:43.

Tags
baby's arm, holding an apple