Originally Posted by madman999 View Post
i guess "always on" internet isn;t the correct term. a better one would be "instant on" internet. naturally, i wouldn;t leave it "always on" because of cost.
Actually, I do leave mine on, and it does not incur much of a cost. MTS charges by traffic at 4.35RUR/MB (~18 US cents) and exceeding 100MB/month with a GPRS connection and a phone/tablet is rather complicated (albeit doable). 100MB comes down to meager $17.70.

my other example of where "always on/instant on" internet would be useful was in the case of being on the run and there being no free wireless connection available.
Yes, that is exactly how I use it.

just my opinion but holding a phone and an n800 in one hand and trying to get connected and use can be little cumbersome especially in a high stress environment like a crowded street with random people passing by.
I never pull the phone out of my pocket. Why would you need to hold the phone in your hand, anyway?

my biggest concern at that point after pulling out $500 worth of electronics is to get my info and put my electronics away as quickly as i can without getting mugged!
What kind of place do you live in, anyway? Do they let you carry firearms there?

so do you all think the current internet tablet is perfect as is? no need or room for improvement?
There is definitely a lot of room for improvement, but you seem to be missing the whole point...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
well i had to take my phone out, enable bluetooth on the phone and make sure it paired correctly to my internet tablet and that the phone actually connected to the internet.
Ah, I see now. You're making things as difficult for yourself as possible, then complaining that that's the system's fault.

We seem to be getting a lot of these lately.

i live in NYC. they mug you for cheap ipods here if you let your guard down. strangely enough they usually ignore the women carrying $2000 handbags and wearing similar shoes.

i don;t have an unlimited data plan. i use it as i need it and try to fly under the radar. my carriers plans are not as good as yours.

the point of what i was trying to make is that i was encouraged by the development being done by the hackers on this forum to enable the USB host mode and expressed hope that this could lead to an integrated USB modem/aircard for connecting to the internet. I wasn;t pissing on Nokia or the internet tablet. I realize that i stepped into a "holy war" discussion but insults really aren;t necessary. whatever makes the Internet tablet work best for all users is what I;d like to see. I;d like to this platform to be even more successful. if yours works well for you as is, then that;s great.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
btw, i did have this weird issue where my IT would randomly turn itself on so it could be a concern.
err, turn on the net connection or turn on from a off state?

if its the latter, why are you not just leaving it on standy with the screen and buttons locked (power button + center directional pad to toggle)?

also, for quick toggle of bluetooth on the tablet, grab this:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/switchonbt/

i even have a entry for it on my simple launcher so that i can toggle bluetooth on and off just by tapping the icon...

i live in NYC. they mug you for cheap ipods here if you let your guard down. strangely enough they usually ignore the women carrying $2000 handbags and wearing similar shoes.
maybe thats because ipods announce their existence with those telltale white wires? and also that telling a $2000 handbag from a cheap asian knockoff is much harder then telling the trendy tech from the non-trendy? oh, and it could be that tech is much simpler to pawn then fashion items. still, i wonder what to make of a tech item thats also a fashion item...

i meant power on after recharging. would freak me out in the middle of the night. might have been solved with a later version for the firmware.

i live in NYC. they mug you for cheap ipods here if you let your guard down.
[Mental note: Never ever live in NYC.]

strangely enough they usually ignore the women carrying $2000 handbags and wearing similar shoes.
It is the liquidity thing. Gadgets are easily sold off. Shoes and handbags are not.

i don;t have an unlimited data plan. i use it as i need it and try to fly under the radar. my carriers plans are not as good as yours.
Neither do I. On the other hand, we do not have AT&T here and the local operators are relatively reasonable.

the point of what i was trying to make is that i was encouraged by the development being done by the hackers on this forum to enable the USB host mode and expressed hope that this could lead to an integrated USB modem/aircard for connecting to the internet.
Yes, but if you are afraid to pull out a gadget out of your pocket, won't you be more afraid to pull out a gadget with the USB cellular modem hanging from it on a wire?

I wasn;t pissing on Nokia or the internet tablet. I realize that i stepped into a "holy war" discussion but insults really aren;t necessary. whatever makes the Internet tablet work best for all users is what I;d like to see.
Wasn't trying to insult you, but you seem to be ignoring the intended mode of operation for these tablets. Do try leaving bluetooth ON (but hidden) on both devices and having them coupled through the day. If you pay by megabyte of traffic like me, stick to instant messaging, and do not use image-heavy web sites, you should be fine. Unless, of course, your operator charges you really exorbitant prices for traffic, or somehow charges by connection time.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles
Ah, I see now. You're making things as difficult for yourself as possible, then complaining that that's the system's fault.

We seem to be getting a lot of these lately.
Indeed.

[rant]

No idea where we are getting this influx of characters from (Palm / WinMob forums maybe?) but I swear that they are coming out of the woodwork. Too many irrational whingers these days.

e.g. handful makes a statement along the lines of 'we really want to get things done right, so please do not rush us for the new Canola install'. Then half the forum start whinging about this bug or that, and how the world would come to an end if it didn't start supporting YouTube and podcasts. handful releases a new beta shortly after, and makes it clear that theming, YouTube and some other features have not been implemented in the latest beta, and within a matter of hours, the whingers are back to complain about the absence of these features.

If I got a nickel for every time i heard someone whine about how they feel ripped off that PIM functionality and/or Office document editing support was missing, I'd be able to buy a brand new N810.

[/rant]

had waaay too much coffee today

and one can always turn off images. hell, it makes engadget a much more smooth (if potentially boring) experience.

i even do that on rss feeds now, thanks to finding the pr feed option in the osso reader.

Originally Posted by fms View Post
Neither do I. On the other hand, we do not have AT&T here and the local operators are relatively reasonable.

Yes, but if you are afraid to pull out a gadget out of your pocket, won't you be more afraid to pull out a gadget with the USB cellular modem hanging from it on a wire?
actually, i have no data plan and have hacked my phone to get access using minutes. don;t tell anyone!

i am not afraid of using my electronics in public places. however, i am not an "announce my presence and look at me type of guy". I could probably conceal a USB attached card well enough using my modded usb cable. would be cool if such an adapter were more integrated with the unit. I guess that;s what that WIMAX adapter is going to be about which i am interested but maybe not the cost and needing a contract.