Active Topics

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Since we're trying out a 770 port of Mer too, could some of you 770 users send me the collected works of patches for cx3110x for 770? It might come in handy. ( carsten.munk at gmail.com )
http://www.fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/ has several kernel patches relevant to the 770 (although not so much cx3110x). I think https://garage.maemo.org/projects/kernels/ was supposed to collect all the community kernel patches in general, but I don't see anything there at the moment.

On cx3110x specifically you may also want to include (it'd be nice if someone did) the patch from bug 2504.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Nokia has stated that the first iteration will not have voice calls, but VOIP is always possible. They left it open to voice later, but it was not clear to me whether that will be a hardware or software issue.
That's in my opinion a mistake.
Most of the people (at least in Europe) has a single SIM card associated to a voice+data plan, and it would be *really* annoying to switch it between phone and NIT.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
When WSOD happens, the hardware breaks, and there's no fix except for replacing the LCD controller.
sorry, forgot to properly mark my sarcasm...

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Maybe I'm behind the curve here, but the lack of qtopia seems like a glaring omission. Is it DOA or still coming?

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
There are more 4.1 maintenance releases in the pipeline.
This is good to know. I hope Nokia can keep fixing critical/security bugs in maemo4 for another 12-18 months, ensuring that a user who just uses the core functionalities (i.e. without using the extras and other repositories) can have a secure and smooth experience. This is the way to show that Nokia is responsible to its customers, and it should not be a big burden for Nokia considering that there are not many packages in the core of maemo4 (i.e. without anything in the extras repository).

I'd like to emphasize the importance of fixing security issues in maemo4. Someone mentioned before that it's OK not to update maemo4 because if it works when you purchase it, it will always work. This is not true, because the device will interact with the potentially untrusted parties in the network. If a security bug is discovered in MicroB or Telepathy, an attacker can craft special packets/web pages to compromise the device, which would not happen when you purchased the device and the bug was not known yet.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sarahn View Post
Maybe I'm behind the curve here, but the lack of qtopia seems like a glaring omission. Is it DOA or still coming?
More like dancing around somewhere way out in left field. Qtopia? I'm gonna assume your confusing it with Qt, which is available in Extras. . . .

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by umberto_soprano View Post
That's in my opinion a mistake.
Most of the people (at least in Europe) has a single SIM card associated to a voice+data plan, and it would be *really* annoying to switch it between phone and NIT.
I don't get it:
Having only one SIM is the best reason why you wouldn't want to have this one SIM within your tablet rather than within your phone. Even if the future tablet had voice call capability: It'd be too big and clumsy to replace a phone. Also, the touch screen is not exactly what I'd be looking for in a phone...

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
More like dancing around somewhere way out in left field. Qtopia? I'm gonna assume your confusing it with Qt, which is available in Extras. . . .
Adopting that tone really does nothing to attract people to help out in the community. Just my 2c.

The Following User Says Thank You to convulted For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by convulted View Post
Adopting that tone really does nothing to attract people to help out in the community. Just my 2c.
What tone? There was a tone?

It is just impossible to shake these trolls. Please, seriously, find something better to do with your time.

Oh, this time there's a tone. Can you tell the difference?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Just look again at GeneralAntilles face when you think he is being grumpy. How could anyone with a beatific smile like that have a tone?