Someone please help. I finally got up the nerve to try and install this but I ran into a problem right away. I used to have another partition on my internal sd and now when I just try the first step I have a problem. This is what it says...

/home/user # umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
umount: cannot umount /dev/mmcblk0p1: Invalid argument

I am assuming that it is from the old partition on there but I dont know how to delete or remove it so know I have truelly messed up things. Please help me stumble through this.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by TerroneX View Post
It acually made something, I'm now receiving an error:
"No servers were defined in the configuration file and XDMCP was disabled. This can only be a configuration error (well, my mistake I guess )... bla bla timed logins are disabled now"

I keep on pushin ok but I keep cycling on this forever...
Is there any solution for this? I am at this point myself.

Edit: found the solution, and it was quite annoying. edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom and add the AutoLogin stuff that was automatically added to the /etc/gdm/gdm.conf file. I assume those that recommended the tablet-gdm-autologin didn't try it themselves?

P.S. Can someone please fix the (otherwise excellent) first post? There are the following big errors:
1) mmcblk0p2 should be mmcblk0p3 on the mount line
2) Highlight that you should ALWAYS install sys-env-base. This was entirely unclear to me for a long time

Thanks!

Last edited by BoxOfSnoo; 2009-04-12 at 22:32. Reason: Added solution

Originally Posted by Erni35 View Post
If I try a base installation sys-env-base, what do I need for xfce4?
Erni35
Sorry I have not been around.

I am not very organized person, so I can not give you a good answer. There was a lot of fooling around involved, installing and deinstalling things. Basicly, what is installed in the bmans previous post, plus xfce4 could be enough. If not, X-server from Mer-repositories could help.

Sorry I can not help you more.

Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
I assume those that recommended the tablet-gdm-autologin didn't try it themselves?
I suppose it isn't THAT bad. My guess is, these scripts come from repositories that are under development. They probably once worked, and perhaps they even work now, for Mer for example, but not for Ubuntu. (Someone could either correct me or tell me I am right here.)

I share your frustration.

Hello all,
I am a noob to all of this alternative OS on my N810. I use ubuntu on my desktops and would like to use it on my N810. I am confused as to the differences between Ubuntu-N8x0 2.2 and MER. Why are there two different projects if MER is Ubuntu? Is one better than the other. I know MER is only beta. Is there an installer for Ubuntu-N8x0 2.2 similar to the MER one that formats my internal card and installs everything for us dummies?

Thanks
Michael

Originally Posted by MSchievelbein View Post
Hello all,
I am a noob to all of this alternative OS on my N810. I use ubuntu on my desktops and would like to use it on my N810. I am confused as to the differences between Ubuntu-N8x0 2.2 and MER. Why are there two different projects if MER is Ubuntu? Is one better than the other. I know MER is only beta. Is there an installer for Ubuntu-N8x0 2.2 similar to the MER one that formats my internal card and installs everything for us dummies?

Thanks
Michael
Mer = Mobile Ubuntu + Maemo
Ubuntu = Ubuntu (I guess stripped down)

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
I have a (noob) question about the installation.
I went through all the installation steps and the sys-env-x installed fine, but how can i boot into ubuntu? Do i need some sort of bootloader, because i don't want to run maemo and ubuntu at the same time.

--edit:

Ok now i have installed a bootmenu with mer installer, but i get the incompatible bootmenu error :S
I have added a file called maemo.ext.item in /etc/bootmenu.d with the following code:
Code:
# will be shown in the bootmenu
ITEM_NAME="Ubuntu on external card, p3"
# needs to be an unique string to identify this item
ITEM_ID="Ubuntu on external, p3"
# which hardware device and partition should be booted. 
# use ${EXT_CARD} for the external card (slot) or ${INT_CARD} for the internal mmc
# followed by p3 for partition three
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p3"
# which modules to load at boottime
ITEM_MODULES="mbcache jbd ext3"
# fileszstem used on that partition
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext3"
# mounting options
ITEM_FSOPTIONS="noatime,rw"
ITEM_LINUXRC="linuxrc"
Someone knows what i'm doing wrong??

Last edited by w0ot; 2009-04-24 at 16:01.

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Austria
Hello!

First, thanks for the jaunty port
I was playing around for hours to get it booting. i installed it on my 8gb external card with ext2 filesystem on partition 3.
I have installed sys-env-x base, than the progress bar stopped at 99% of booting. Then i installed ubuntu-desktop and i was able to boot and saw the login screen but wasnt able to type anithing, the keyboard didnt work.
Then i took off the battery to get back to maemo to install tablet-gdm-autologin and matchbox-keyboard and since this the progress bar stops at 99% again. uninstalling of these packages dont work. I have read thats a x-server problem but how can i find logfiles for the boot process?

Thanks, Andi

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by w0ot View Post
I have a (noob) question about the installation.
I went through all the installation steps and the sys-env-x installed fine, but how can i boot into ubuntu? Do i need some sort of bootloader, because i don't want to run maemo and ubuntu at the same time.

--edit:

Ok now i have installed a bootmenu with mer installer, but i get the incompatible bootmenu error :S
I have added a file called maemo.ext.item in /etc/bootmenu.d with the following code:
Code:
# will be shown in the bootmenu
ITEM_NAME="Ubuntu on external card, p3"
# needs to be an unique string to identify this item
ITEM_ID="Ubuntu on external, p3"
# which hardware device and partition should be booted. 
# use ${EXT_CARD} for the external card (slot) or ${INT_CARD} for the internal mmc
# followed by p3 for partition three
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p3"
# which modules to load at boottime
ITEM_MODULES="mbcache jbd ext3"
# fileszstem used on that partition
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext3"
# mounting options
ITEM_FSOPTIONS="noatime,rw"
ITEM_LINUXRC="linuxrc"
Someone knows what i'm doing wrong??

Use noatime,ro instead

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 148 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Tallinn, Estonia
does the Virtual keyword work in the Display subsection of xorg.conf? maybe someone with ubuntu installed could try Virtual 1024 768 or something similar.

Virtual xdim ydim
This optional entry specifies the virtual screen resolution to be used. xdim must be a multiple of either 8 or 16 for most
drivers, and a multiple of 32 when running in monochrome mode. The given value will be rounded down if this is not the case.
Video modes which are too large for the specified virtual size will be rejected. If this entry is not present, the virtual
screen resolution will be set to accommodate all the valid video modes given in the Modes entry. Some drivers/hardware combi-
nations do not support virtual screens. Refer to the appropriate driver-specific documentation for details.

Tags
gnome, kde, ubuntu