Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Whatever. I hope you never figure it out.
Firstly nice attitude.... just read your comment about the tags too....you were a noob once!

I KNOW how to install it, what is the matter with you????? NOT THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE!

I can't even be bothered, you are obvisously not listening.

Good community attitude as well, no wonder new guys are getting pi**ed off with people on here, no respect for anyone.

I wanted to discuss something that I thought might help the people on here and free up the threads a bit, but it seems like I can't even do that without someone being rude????

Good luck guys, honestly, I just wanted to give back, won't bother next time.

The Following User Says Thank You to davedickson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I think we're gonna need some Troll Model signature rules...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Oh, he's a free agent alright. I sure don't claim him.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by davedickson View Post
....I KNOW how to install it, ...
Good community attitude as well,...
You KNOW how to install it. Have you added your knowledge to the wiki yet?

If you haven't, why do you expect others to do it for you? Lead by example

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by b2barker View Post
You KNOW how to install it. Have you added your knowledge to the wiki yet?

If you haven't, why do you expect others to do it for you? Lead by example
I plan to, don't have the phone yet. Wanted to do a REALLY basic walkthrough with pretty pictures and everything.

Forgot to add - any problems/issues I have while doing etc will go in there too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davedickson For This Useful Post:
Quick input:
The community has become somewhat more careful with the release of the n900. I remember when I bought my n810, I found instructions to get into red pill mode rather quickly (I think I did a search, rather than asking, though). I also found a site with very kind people putting up the basics of the tablet (http://tabletschool.blogspot.com ). Is there anything like this for the n900?

Threads also used to just mention that the poster was not responsible for the contents of the post (and a detailed how-to followed). I think the mindset is now people more unfamiliar with linux have joined this forum. This may be true, I think this mindset should not be kept. It should be assumed that everyone here is aware of the risks involved, including loss of data and complete bricking of the device. These warnings should also be posted at the start of any announcement of an extra-devel app or a how-to (maybe we could create a standard opening statement). Users should also be warned that they may not get the exact help they need if they have bricked their tablet (since it is sometimes very difficult to help someone "unbrick" their tablet, even when knowing what the problem is).

Example:
THIS APPLICATION/HOW-TO IS FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY.
FOLLOWING THESE DIRECTIONS MAY LEAD TO LOSS OF DATA SUCH AS PHONE NUMBERS AND/OR BRICKING YOUR DEVICE.
THE ORIGINAL POSTER AND OTHER FORUM MEMBERS ARE NOT REQUIRED TO OFFER SUPPORT IN ANY CASE.
ANY PROBLEMS RESULTING FROM THIS APPLICATION/HOW-TO WILL BE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE OWNER OF THE DEVICE.
IF YOU ARE RUNNING LOW ON "MAIN" MEMORY, YOU RISK BRICKING YOUR DEVICE PERMANENTLY. PLEASE BE AWARE HOW MUCH MAIN MEMORY YOU HAVE LEFT.
IF YOU NEED TO REFLASH YOUR DEVICE (REMOVING ALL DATA AND RESTORING IT TO THE ORIGINAL CONDITION, IN MOST CASES), GO HERE (linked to a flashing instructions page).

All of that should be red and in all capitals.

Other than that, the instructions for this forum are really simple:
1) Search
2) If no one has made what you want to do somewhat easier, start a thread politely asking for instructions.
3) Understand that everyone here has a life. A life that they spend at least part of away from the computer, and a life filled with responsibilities completely unrelated to the tablets and technology in general. If you ask a question and it does not get answered, don't immediately bump it up to get answered. Perhaps wait a couple of days and choose a time where more people will see it.
4) If people tell you it's "too advanced", explain to them that you completely understand the risk of bricking your device permanently and would like them to explain anyway, as simply as they could, with all responsibility being yours. If one person won't, I'm sure someone will, as long as you keep reiterating that *you* are the only one responsible for your device.
5) Realize that if you brick your device, you may not be able to find anyone with a similar experience or enough information to help you.
6) NEVER ask for illegal things (such as ROMs). Period. Ask only questions about applications and other such things.
7) If no one is willing to help you, move on or (better yet) learn linux and how to code and do what you want to. The community needs more application developers, who are people just like you that spent the time and energy to learn.

Hope this helps.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elimoon8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Singapore
1. Cut the condescending tones, it's apparent even in this thread itself, it really puts new users off. (i.e. include a proper disclaimer e.g. THIS MAY BRICK YOUR DEVICE, rather than IF YOU DONT EVEN KNOW, ITS NOT FOR YOU).

2. We're talking about a community that is focused on catering to the needs of end users (i.e. that means spoon feeding, solutions), and I will tell you that majority of end users do not care about all the technicalities, jargons, programming; they wanna get the freaking job done. We have to consider that these end users comprise often not only geeky people. E.g. a businessman would probably visit this forum once a month to look for a guide on installing a particular app, do you really expect him to learn all the technicalities you throw at him?

3. We're not asking for talk.maemo (i.e. TALK.MAEMO MUST BECOME AN OPEN PLATFORM) to become that kind of community, but we're just saying that should such a community be absent, it would scare many non-geeks (i.e. the masses) off, hence the thread title.

4. Solutions include:

a. transform the community
b. point us to another forum where end users can find what they want

5. Should the solutions not be considered, Maemo will DEFINITELY lose a lot of potential customers (i.e. the NOOBS and the 4-YEAR OLDS). If you say these customers are not appreciated, I surrender. But I say theses customers are the exact engine of growth that Maemo needs.

6. Please be reminded that we're again not complaining about anything, we're making suggestions. If you think otherwise, perhaps you are really closed. The above are simply requests, not demands. It's ultimately the choice of the community.

Last edited by LouisLoh; 2009-11-29 at 07:41.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LouisLoh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by elimoon8 View Post
Quick input:
heh. oh, and I lied. That wasn't quick at all.

Originally Posted by LouisLoh View Post
We're talking about a community that is focused on catering to the needs of end users (i.e. that means spoon feeding, solutions), and I will tell you that majority of end users do not care about all the technicalities, jargons, programming; they wanna get the freaking job done.
I'm all for helping new users, but I respectfully disagree with that statement. I'm pretty sure the attitude here will remain the "search, then post" attitude. I really can't disagree with that attitude, though. Everyone here is looking for something different. If the volunteers here were to try to spoon-feed everyone, nothing would ever get done. Telling someone to look through a 15 page long thread may be tough on new users, but until we have a huge developer population that can deal with problems on an individual basis, we can't have developers spending too much time answering individual questions. A somewhat simplified how-to by a developer for an application should suffice (I think you mention this later in your post).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elimoon8 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by elimoon8 View Post
A somewhat simplified how-to by a developer for an application should suffice (I think you mention this later in your post).
What I've have been trying to say from my first post

Tags
maemocannonfodder, maemoredshirt, sell crack for n900 money