Originally Posted by kpihus View Post
Hi,

I had same problem after upgrade to v44 kernel. Could not reflash, because of empty battery. I saw uboot screen with tux, but it did not go to flashing.

I to took out battery, and charged it with external charger. At the beginning, voltage was 3,45V so totally empty. After charging, voltage was 4.05V so almost fully charged.

But now, device does not show any picture at all, totally blank. When i plug in USB calble, yellow led flashes for a split of second, but device remains blank. And also power button does not do anything.

Any ideas ?
even i am facing the same problem..

Originally Posted by chan_98 View Post
even i am facing the same problem..
another one here.
https://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_...a_FIASCO_image non of those commands did get me closer.

I get
Image 'xloader', size 14848 bytes
Valid for RX-51: 2601, 2602, 2603
Version 1.4.14.9+0m5
Image 'secondary', size 109440 bytes
Valid for RX-51: 2601, 2602, 2603
Version 1.4.14.9+0m5
Suitable USB device not found, waiting.
in dos

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Rio de Janeiro
How to do ' Expand attached archived on SD (must be on third Fat partition)' ? Do you mean copy the zip file on the memory card? On my N900 PR1.2 after upgrade the Kernel only keeps Starting Kernel and nothing happens, please help me. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Here's a guide for people who got "starting kernel" heng with power44.

http://my.svgalib.org/770/n900/u-boot/u-boot-n900.zip

1 - Expand attached archived on SD (must be on third Fat partition)
2 - Start N900 and enter on u-boot interactive console (by booting with open keyboard and pressing any key).
3 - Type mmc init and press enter
4 - Type run loadbootscript and press enter
5 - Type run bootscript and press enter

This should run maemo with stock PR1.3 kernel (included in the zip file).

After booting I suggest downgrading to power43 kernel with the command (as root):

apt-get install kernel-power=2.6.28-maemo43 kernel-power-modules=2.6.28-maemo43 kernel-power-flasher=2.6.28-maemo43

And I request that people will tell me about having this problem, including the HW revision of their device.

It is not (always?) the battery. After lots of tries, I ran the flasher command as root in ubuntu. It worked. My battery is nearly empty.

edit:
wiki :"Execute the following command (in Linux you have to be root!): "

Last edited by sethkha; 2010-11-12 at 20:47. Reason: next time: read wiki

My phone is also OK now. It did not power up, because external charger f****d battery pin's.

Originally Posted by 009N View Post
okay here is my initial result.

microsd as mmc, fat 16@3rd partition, matan's stuff@3rd partition

open the keyboard

plug in the charger

device power up itself

press some key to intercept booting to get the prompt

Here is what I saw. It's dam painful to stare at those tiny prints, and without backlight ....
Code:
MAP3 RX-51 # mmc init
mmc1 is available

MAP3 RX-51 # run loadbootscript
reading boot.scr

133 bytes read

MAP3 RX-51 # run bootscript
Running bootscript from mmc ...
Executing script at 82000000
mmc1 is available
Loading uImage

1746752 bytes read
## Booting kernel from legacy Image at 82000000
Image name : Kernel PR1.3
Image type : ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data size : 1746688 bytes = 1.7 MiB
Load address : 80008000
Entry point :  80008000
Verifying checksum : ok
Loading kernel image : ok

Image existing stage at 0x80000100

Starting kernel  ...

It's the same story. Still stuck at uboot. So what's next?

----did you fix this problem?...i also have the same problem, and i cant do anything, tried the flashing thingy but im stuck back here... i need help..

stuck too. My battery is full but there's still no way to flash (it goes into u-boot). It won't boot the image from the zip file either (it hangs in the same place as normal boot). Did anyone try booting meego from mmc? I'm backing up an mmc now to try that...

edit: well, meego does boot. So I have a working OS on the phone. But I have no idea how to use that to fix my maemo yum doesn't seem to be around... I tried copying fiasco-flasher (with the help of dpkg-deb, tar, and scp) but that doesn't run on meego. Isn't there any way to convince the meego kernel to load the built-in rootfs?

edit 2: trying to install ubuntu now. Yeah, overkill, but I've got nothing better to do, no phone, and it sounds like fun if there's even a tiny chance this will let me recover my phone...

edit 3: here's a few remarks for those who think they are in this situation.
  • No, your battery isn't full. You may think it is, it may report full -- if flasher drops you to u-boot, then it's not “full enough”. Get a charger or a full battery.
  • Flashing the kernel only takes like a second. That took me a bit by surprise.
  • This won't reset the data, apps, etc, but it may reset the clock depending on how long you leave the phone without battery.

Last edited by lalomartins; 2010-11-15 at 18:56.

I started the thread...so many posts already.

Anyway, I couldn't get the flashing (using Flasher-3.5 command with U pressed) done on my PC and also couldn't do using the mmc method... But the web is fantastic for finding solutions...

Then I read that Flasher-3.5 has some problem with Windows 7 64-bit...which is what runs my PC.

So I did these to re-flash my bricked N900...
  • Removed battery from my N900 and waited for 10 minutes before re-inserting battery
  • Started Flasher (flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin --flash-only=kernel -f -R) on 32-bit XP laptop instead
  • Got to the waiting for device message..
  • Plugged in my N900 to the laptop using the USB cable, while holding down "U" (not holding down "U" did not work for me)
  • ...And voila, N900 is flashed in less than 2 sec and no longer bricked! And all my data, settings, (even the kernel-power uninstall app) etc. were intact.

I realised I could safely do the above over and over, so I decided to *risk* installing Kernel-power again. I uninstalled V44 (using desktop app) and multiboot (using apt-get remove multiboot), then reinstalled V45 (from Faster App) and multiboot (apt-get install multiboot multiboot-kernel-maemo multiboot-kernel-power). Oddly, multiboot kept showing old boot menu with v40 of kernel-power.

So I read around and did these to re-install Kernel-power v45 and multiboot, to get back a working OC'ed multiboot N900:
  • Uninstalled kernel-power v45 from desktop app
  • Went to xterm and purged multiboot (root, then apt-get --purge remove multiboot multiboot-kernel-maemo multiboot-kernel-power)
  • Switched off the N900...then after a while switched back on to default kernel
  • Installed kernel-power v45 from Faster App
  • Went to xterm and installed multiboot (root then apt-get install multiboot multiboot-kernel-maemo multiboot-kernel-power)
  • In xterm still, did apt-get install kernel-power-bootimg kernel-power-modules
  • Followed by apt-get install --reinstall multiboot-kernel-power
  • And apt-get update
  • And apt-get upgrade
  • Then switched off and on the N900.. and voila! Mulitboot showing omap-1 & V45! Booted fine into v45 and overclocked to 900Mhz...

(* All the while, for above both sets of steps, I had WiFi connected)

Got to love the Maemo and N900 community...without you, it's only half the fun with the N900

[EDIT: Forgot to mention that unlike some, I have no issue with camera, Panorama, BlessN900 and FCam in V45. All apps appear to be working fine. Sound is good too. Sync with PC Suite is good still. Just installed H.E.N. and will be trying USB hostmode once I get a USB A-A adaptor.]

Last edited by elric; 2010-11-17 at 02:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to elric For This Useful Post:
Posts: 539 | Thanked: 518 times | Joined on May 2010 @ nanaurbusiness
Thx alot elric, that sounds like a plan.
I was searching for this information a long time.

Do you eventually know how to get nitdroid and meego as 3rd and 4th boot options? That would be perfect for me to mess around with both at work, ehm I meant in my spare time.

Greetz,

..::J4ZZ::..

Will try to do Nitdroid soon, but won't be doing Meego. Will update this thread with the steps I take, once I've done it.

Originally Posted by J4ZZ View Post
Thx alot elric, that sounds like a plan.
I was searching for this information a long time.

Do you eventually know how to get nitdroid and meego as 3rd and 4th boot options? That would be perfect for me to mess around with both at work, ehm I meant in my spare time.

Greetz,

..::J4ZZ::..

[EDIT: Done: Nitdroid installed! And that was fast and painless...
  • Used a Transcend Class 6 4GB microSD card
  • Did not use the normal apt-get install nitdroid-installer route..(as I had issues with partitioning of SD card before)
  • Instead followed instruction from http://forum.nitdroid.com/index.php?topic=316.90
  • Downloaded nitdroid-installer_0.2.7_armel.deb (from http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php...8&d=1289926862) onto N900's MyDocs folder
  • In xterm, just typed: root
  • Followed by cd /hone/user/MyDocs
  • Then dpkg -i nitdroid-installer_0.2.7_armel.deb
  • Finally nitdroid, and reboot
No need to manually partition SD card or reinstall multiboot. On reboot, N900 went straight into multiboot menu that shows all 3 options for omap-1, v45 and Nitdroid.

I've got working WiFi and Market, so it looks good.

This is addictive...I just might try my luck with installing Meego...if I can read up a bit more about other's experience with u-boot....]

Last edited by elric; 2010-11-19 at 16:50.