Active Topics

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Correction. That bastard is from Canada. Please do more research.
Pray tell, what continent is Canada located in?

I will remind you that Elop has used the North American market as an example of Nokias failure. What we've here is that someone who - as everyone else in Northern America - associate Nokia with Failure, take over Nokia.

When I heard the new CEO was from Northern America, I expected that MeeGo would be axed. I didn't expect that Qt would be.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
so much love <3
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Canada is their own country just in case your knowledge on North American economics/politics is equally deficient
Good joke

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
But seriously, Is it possible that Elop could be somehow fired by the Nokia board and Nokia could go back to its original Qt strategy with Meego at the top and Symbian for the dumbphones? What would it take for this to happen?

You don't think the board brought in a Microsoft guy for just this purpose? The board brought him in for change. Why the heck would the board fire Elop and then bring in someone to do exactly what they were doing when they got rid of someone else and brought in Elop in the first place? Do you think they intentionally found someone outside Finland to continue business as usual? Do you think they went with a Microsoft guy because they didn't want a deal with Microsoft or they did want a deal with Microsoft?

Did you read Elop's memo (or did you doubt it was real)? Nokia had no working high-end solution that would be ready in a realistic timeframe. Pressures like Android filtering down into the lower-end range of phones was starting to put a pressure on Symbian as well. Symbian = about to be crushed by Android. MeeGo = not ready. You want them to stay the course?

The Qt strategy yielded nothing. MeeGo doesn't exist. Market share is falling. The board wants to do something now. Relying on a product that doesn't exist and making it compatible with one that is losing ground and woefully behind in high-end features isn't going to help. What should Elop do? Remember: waiting for MeeGo isn't an option.

Put yourself in that situation and then see if you still feel there's been some disastrous decision made. All this angst is because things aren't the way people wish they could be, not because it isn't what it had no choice but to be. It's no different than people being mad because a country with a massive budget deficit reduces services or raises taxes. You wish it were different, but realistically there's no other option. Being sad makes sense, but being angry is unfair.

Last edited by alcalde; 2011-02-11 at 18:50.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Bada was a new os with less than 1% market share. Also nokia was betting hugely on qt. Now is there a comparison between bada and nokia?

It's a patch because they can't get MeeGo out of the door today. If they could have, then MeeGo would not have been dropped.

February 15th, 2010 was the announcement of MeeGo. It's still not on a device - shown or planned at of February 11th, 2011.

It's a patch just like Samsung had plans for Bada, but couldn't deliver it fast enough. So they started to sell Android phones. To me, that was a patch to help them keep a smartphone presence until they could get their own OS off the ground.

I sorta feel like this is what's up with WP7. Wagging around terms like main OS strategy wouldn't be possible if MeeGo was actually finished. Then that would be downright dumb as rocks to drop a full OS - oh wait, they are dropping Symbian... like I said, dumb as rocks.

MeeGo ain't ready. Plain and simple. Nokia needs presence now, or risk only releasing one Maemo Device in 2009, nothing in 2010, almost nothing in 2011 from anything that's not Symbian based.

Thus... patch. They can have a WP7 phone out by Summer now.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Pray tell, what continent is Canada located in?
*raises hand slowly*

Ooh, Ooh... I know this!!

No seriously, I was correcting the OP because his rant incorrectly labeled Elop as an American bastard.

Not North American bastard. Not Northern Hemisphere bastard. But American bastard... like the 50 states kind.

That's like saying European culture when I'm only talking about Finland. Some folks play into pointed semantics of that sort when it comes down to nationalities.

And besides... Elop's tenure at Macromedia/Adobe was longer than it was with Microsoft.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Which part of Bada was not ready to ship and Samsung needed a smartphone OS to ship sooner than their incomplete Bada OS do you not understand?

Let's start there. I'll make the comparison that you're somehow overlooking after we establish that.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Bada was a new os with less than 1% market share. Also nokia was betting hugely on qt. Now is there a comparison between bada and nokia?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I agree on the board part. But I disagree on the qt part. It has started to pick up steam. The only final straw was meeGo. Since nokia is releasing meego handset in 2011, while wp7 handsets are planned for 2012 the latest. The last I remember from my school maths... 2011 is earlier than 2012

Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
You don't think the board brought in a Microsoft guy for just this purpose? The board brought him in for change. Why the heck would the board fire Elop and then bring in someone to do exactly what they were doing when they got rid of someone else and brought in Elop in the first place? Do you think they intentionally found someone outside Finland to continue business as usual? Do you think they went with a Microsoft guy because they didn't want a deal with Microsoft or they did want a deal with Microsoft?

The Qt strategy yielded nothing. MeeGo doesn't exist. Market share is falling. The board wants to do something now. Relying on a product that doesn't exist and making it compatible with one that is losing ground and woefully behind in high-end features isn't going to help. What should Elop do? Remember: waiting for MeeGo isn't an option.

Put yourself in that situation and then see if you still feel there's been some disastrous decision made. All this angst is because things aren't the way people wish they could be, not because it isn't what it had no choice but to be. It's no different than people being mad because a country with a massive budget deficit reduces services or raises taxes. You wish it were different, but realistically there's no other option. Being sad makes sense, but being angry is unfair.

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
If Nokia employees feel so strongly against W7, their only realistic hope is to make the first iteration of Meego a kick-*** polished professional OS with first rate out of box apps (email, maps, IM, twitter, facebook).

stay late, weekends, volunteer etc etc

If they cannot do that, they only have themselves to blame...They should have done this in the first place with n900, n9.

Consumers will buy the best product. If its good, word will spread. Period

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bugelrex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
If Nokia employees feel so strongly against W7, their only realistic hope is to make the first iteration of Meego a kick-*** polished professional OS with first rate out of box apps (email, maps, IM, twitter, facebook).

stay late, weekends, volunteer etc etc

If they cannot do that, they only have themselves to blame...They should have done this in the first place with n900, n9.

Consumers will buy the best product. If its good, word will spread. Period
Probably they should have been warned/told about this and then given a chance. Don't you think?

Tags
buysomethinelse, me ego, megone, naysaying, quit whining