Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by angun33 View Post
See this in a tweet. Video call for gtalk is available on nokia store
http://store.ovi.com/content/259046. I'm downloading it right now.
Damn I'm always last to find out about these things, damn northern hemisphere people!
I only just found out thanks to a post in the bug report by a Nokia dev (Risto).
https://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=422#c9
This is the report we filed at the start of this thread, when they said Skype isn't coming.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-01 at 06:37.

Originally Posted by flyingbathtub View Post
now where's skype?? but i'm happy for now at least I can chat with my wife using her unicorn n9 now!
See the OP of this thread.

Originally Posted by soleil View Post
Very nice gtalk video calling with the option to swich between main and front camera
So you can actually use the better quality front cam? Nice.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-01 at 07:00.

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
Well, the gtalk video call is a good step but not the same.
A standalone app like Peregrine would be better. Do you think Elop has sabotaged the Peregrine project?
I'm still trying to find out from them what's going on...
I got this weird response in IRC, but nothing else since my response to them:

it's already supported by the latest firmware
skype video call that is
We're in different time-zones (I'm in Australia) so it's tricky to catch them sometimes.
I've a gut feeling that Nokia's killed their contract or they've decided to stop short of video-chat.
I've found at least 3 different ways we can try to contact them (1-2 pages back).
So everyone... "put your feelers out"....

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-01 at 07:09.

Originally Posted by somedude View Post
Downloaded and it works but why in the hell is the front camera so bad? I thought they had a better front cam this time and the software stack for the front cam was better than n900, but the front cam is still grainy very grainy but the option to switch to main camera is just sweet, love that feature but wish the front camera picture quality was a tad bit better
It's only VGA, I wouldn't expect it to be that good.
Sw is indeed optimized a bit more than the N900 IIRC.

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
Do you by any chance have a smudgy screen protector covering the front camera?
my n9 is naked no covet or screen protector

Chat session thus far w/Peregrine.....

@chiappone Not sure what you're talking about, PR1.2 does not bring Skype video-calling, it improves 3rd-party support.
Everyone wants to know the status of vid-chat for Peregrine, it's currently the only 3rd-party that had Skype & GTalk planned.
In the case of Skype you had it working fairly well at one point, but it's been many months since we've seen any further news.
ah ok, i hadn't updated my firmware yet so i just presumed that to be the case, sorry
but having a quick look around
there's gtalk video calls already
just search for gtalk in the store
but from my experience of using video calls on the iphone skype was still way better than gtalk. although could of been a fault of the software itself
Yes, we now know that, there's official gtalk by Nokia, but that has nothing to do with what we're asking...
We're asking about Peregrine video-chat, how this couldn't have been clear by now I don't know, can you "plz" answer my prior "clearly defined" Qns? Thank-you!
This is not looking good IMO....
I think for some reason they've walked away some time ago, & never bothered to tell end-users.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-02 at 02:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I think for some reason they've walked away some time ago, & never bothered to tell end-users.
Taking a page out of Nokia's book

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Malvern, PA
I must be missing something... I installed Gtalk form the OVI store but I can't find the option to make a call using it for any of my Gtalk contacts. I still only see the option for for messaging. I can make Skype calls but of course we don't have video calling for that

Thanks in advance for the help!

So what's the GTalk like folks? Keep filling us in!