I don't understand all the hate for ubuntu.. For me they are the ones who brought me to linux during my college days and have kept me there. I know a lot of people have issues with unity(mir) including <b>me</b> but that doesn't mean that I would whine and call them the destroyer of linux.. :-/. My brother uses unity and has no issues with it. In fact he prefer it to gnome. I on the other hand have moved to xubuntu and some of my friends to kubuntu. Both Ubuntu off shoots updated and supported by them. I don't understand why the whining and judging about a product and a software that is a year from release.. I don't see the point in Jolla as of yet.. Jolla's hardware seems ordinary and mysterious and their software is not that great either from what I have seen till now and I have used nemo on my N9 and it's brilliant but far from complete. Just like Ubuntu I guess right now..

Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
Well, I don't think so, since this phone builds a x86 processor. And I know x86 builds of SailfishOS exists, but... It's not the path they are choosing.
Where did you read that it will be x86 processor based, link?

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Russia
Originally Posted by RX-51 View Post
Where did you read that it will be x86 processor based, link?
As I know, SaifishOS will be multiplatform, but the JollaPhone is ARM-based.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
Originally Posted by Makeclick View Post
I totally disagree! Thanks to Ubuntu and Canonical, we finally get some games for the Linux!!

I thought it was thanks to Valve...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaddogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
FOSS News Channel - Canonical Invests In Failure Hyping

So, this is the real story of Ubuntu Edge...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
FOSS News Channel - Canonical Invests In Failure Hyping

So, this is the real story of Ubuntu Edge...

That's a great story. It's a phone by the people, for the people! If it's ever get build...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Neat specs, but

830$ + European VAT > 1000$ = too expensive for me.

Sadly (Im such a geek) I might buy it despite the price.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Who is moving my Ubuntu threads? To this one. It's so lame to move threads you don't understand, especially if the thread is mine I also see an hidden agenda by this ranagde moderator. This never happen to jolla threads even if we have several with exactly the same content. Reveal yourself so I can throw a kebab at you(doner style).

3.4 m. My old est of 10 m is a winner. I can feel it.

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-07-23 at 13:18.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Epic hardware does not a great mobile device make. It takes *very* tight integration between the hardware and software. And at least right now... with the impressions that had with UT about a month ago, it needs a lot of polish on much lesser hardware.

About "the Edge" - I expected real innovation, not just speeds/feeds. For example:
- the battery tech they want to use is edgy, but not far enough. Its a 2012 innovation, not a 2014 one
- why isn't the screen wrapping around the edges of the device
- why doesn't it have a battery that's 4000mah or better (yes, I know the physics of making too big a battery)
- the edge in specs would be a processor less than 1Ghz and less than half a gig of RAM to pull all of that off - more is not edgier

And that's just some of my hardware qualms. Nothing about what they talked about with this device makes the software stand out. I think Rita said it nicely when she remarked that the hardware of the Nexus 4 allowed the software to move to the background and it just be usable.

I don't know that they would make their goal. I wish they could. But, that's a bit one to jump for. Something about the campaign says that Ubuntu wants to do a mobile platform, but is afraid that parts of their project, if not the whole thing, could be usurped by a current mobile leader. By making this project crowd-funded, they bend away from the potential of losing an influencer role with the project. Savvy, but probably could backfire - especially if an LG, Huwaei, ZTE, or (gasp), Nokia felt like pushing harder into this.

As a matter of interest (Nokia-speaking), it could make for an interesting plan B if Windows Phone trends continue. And would be something they'd be able to pivot to quickly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
I wish google could get in as a sponsor for the remaining funds. It's so Epic and strange that it simply must be built! Keep adding a few dollars...

If this guy had a phone, it would must certainly be Ubuntu Edge!

They just added a new option to preorder the phone:

$1,400
DOUBLE EDGE
4 out of 2000 claimed
Get two exclusive Ubuntu Edge smartphones at a special bundle price. Includes a place on the Ubuntu Edge Founders page. (Free shipping within the US and UK, add $30 for all other destinations)

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-07-23 at 15:29.