Notices

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Northern DFW
Dialcentral seems to be working perfectly for me as well. I _think_ I'm running the version from extras-devel...is there an 'about' screen in dialcentral to see version information? It's 1.0.9-0.

The Following User Says Thank You to jiiv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Please, I encourage people only install from extras-devel that they have written.

I personally enable extras-devel just long enough to install updated version of my own software and immediately disable it. I would hope those wishing to test can be patient enough for me to sanity check things before pushing to Maemo 5 Extras Testing or Maemo 4.1 Extras.

(Maemo 5) I also hope those who do not want to take on the testing risks will be patient enough for people to vote it into Extras.

Originally Posted by jiiv View Post
Dialcentral seems to be working perfectly for me as well. I _think_ I'm running the version from extras-devel...is there an 'about' screen in dialcentral to see version information? It's 1.0.9-0.
1.0.9-0 is the version in extras devel. I did push 1.0.9-1 out which adds an app menu (I hope).

The fact that this works is thanks to you for pointing out pygooglevoice which taught me a different way to place calls. Even if that didn't work, you provided the work around which is Dialcentral explicitly set the callback number (I used to do this back in the Grandcentral days because there was no alternative)

Originally Posted by dick-richardson View Post
I enabled devel to get the dialcentral update, when dialing a number I get an error:
Code:
There was a problem with GV: {'data': {'code':20}, 'ok': False}
Hope it helps.
The new approach seems to work for more people but now we get these curious error codes. It'll be fun to figure out what 20 means.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
epage, I'm more then happy to test the application, but can you confirm it's optified?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
epage, I'm more then happy to test the application, but can you confirm it's optified?
It is not optified. The total size of Dialcentral w/o the rootfs filesystem compression is 1.3 meg. With compression I think its a lot smaller since 2/3 of it is text. I was under the impression that with these sizes optifying isn't an issue.

If there is demand for me to optify anyways, I can put forward the effort to do so.

Hmm if that's the case I guess it doesn't make a difference so there's not much of a point in optifying it if it's going be a lot of work. I'll install it tomorrow after my bio final is done.

Edit: Oh what the heck I'll install it now since bio studying is taking a while.

Edit2: I do believe optification is a requirement for getting the application into extras however. (though there seems to be a few apps that don't follow that rule.. Evernote sharing plugin and openSSH for example). So if you want to get dialcentral into extras eventually I think you may have to consider optification.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-12-16 at 02:20.

Originally Posted by epage View Post
Please, I encourage people only install from extras-devel that they have written.
While I would 2nd your statement, I'm frankly not worried about reflashing my device (done so twice already) to advance the cause.

I.e. you don't scare me. :P

edit: That might be worth mentioning...I installed dialcentral within 5 minutes of reflashing both the OS and the MyDocs .bin files. I also installed rdesktop-cli from extras-devel (no apparent inter-dependencies) and wget & rsync from extras-testing (again no apparent collisions). From Extras, I threw in openssh, ati85, vncviewer, and droid fonts.

Last edited by dick-richardson; 2009-12-16 at 02:22.

Originally Posted by dick-richardson View Post
While I would 2nd your statement, I'm frankly not worried about reflashing my device (done so twice already) to advance the cause.

I.e. you don't scare me. :P
Don't tempt me to give you a reason to stay out of extras-devel

More so I want to be cautious of new comers seeing this thread and getting the impression running out of extras-testing / extras-devel is the only way to go.

Originally Posted by epage View Post
Don't tempt me to give you a reason to stay out of extras-devel
Oh, I only install what I need (after someone else has already tried) and then get out.

More so I want to be cautious of new comers seeing this thread and getting the impression running out of extras-testing / extras-devel is the only way to go.
Right there with ya. If you don't understand software development and repository specifics, don't adjust them. This isn't a windows registry edit, where following instructions step-by-step can compensate for a lack of understanding.

That said, I strongly recommend any newcomers to enable Extras - it's already in there. Good stuff in there.

Last edited by dick-richardson; 2009-12-16 at 02:30.

Some stuff on The One RIng:

I have a simple test case (outside of UI) that:
* Can toggle Do Not Disturb
* Make a call
* Send a text

I am working on the state machine for polling the server for updates. My current thought is:
* You start with a POLL_TIME of INITIAL
* As long as there no no new messages, we double POLL_TIME till it hits MAX
* Every time there are new messages, we reset POLL_TIME to INITIAL
* When you are idle POLL_TIME is set to a constant IDLE

I'll give an example with
* INITIAL = 5 seconds
* MAX = 2 minutes
* IDLE = 10 minutes

A friend sends you a text, at most (when not "away") it will take 2 minutes for you to see it.

You respond and they respond back all within 30 seconds, you will see the response in 35 seconds (5s + 10s + 20s)

Now you say goodbye. The One Ring will check for new messages after 5s, 15s, 35s, 1 min 15s, 3 min 15s, 5 min 15s, 7 min 15s, etc.

So switch to being marked "away" in chat, it now checks for new texts every 10 minutes

Now you switch to Do Not Disturb. The One Ring will not poll the server at all and you will also not get any calls.

Does this sound like a reasonable compromise for battery life and low latency? Other ideas? Any suggestions for INITAL, MAX, and IDLE? Interest in configuring these through the UI? Interest in a manual mode?

An alternative approach is POLL_TIME = CONSTANT + GEOM, meaning there is a large constant time factory (5 seconds) and a small doubling factory (1 second) so this will peg the CPU but will also back off more slowly. For example we would check after 5, 11, 18, 27, 48, 1 min 25s, 3 min 25s, 5 min 25s, 7 min 25s, etc)

For those interested, the following page has all the states I'm allowed to play with
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spe...ePresence.html

EDIT: Fixed my geom growth from the pauses to elapsed time

Last edited by epage; 2009-12-16 at 03:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Would POLL_TIME = CONSTANT + GEOM eat more cpu once it hit the 2m max? If not, I'd favor this method as sms's seem to go in conversations (e.g. a friend and I will txt frequently over the course of a 5 minute discussion, and then not again for hours or days).

And is One Ring a separate app, or added functionality to dialcentral? (I'm sure it's been addressed here previously, apologies if the question has become tiring).