Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Your point?
In 18mth you'll be going pfft, & pointing to some other upcoming specs.
I'm talking about phones we can buy now...
I meant there's no such thing as a forever phone.

Good nightz
I wish you'd said that back when this thread was created.

Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Confederatio Helvetica
Just a small off-topic (as if the whole topic weren't off-topic):

SE Xperia Pro is now available in Europe... for like 300 EUR. Pretty decent specs,a very nice QWERTY, a freaking awesome design. Despite being an Android, a very neat device, if I may. Interestingly, this is the first Android phone released in Europe that has both a front camera and a keyboard (as far as I know).

Is the N9 really worth twice the money? Hell no.

The Following User Says Thank You to rentze For This Useful Post:
What's the use of so many other threads? This one seems to be doing fine if you ask me. Besides, who wants to miss being the lucky 10k winner?

The Following User Says Thank You to cincibluer6 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
@mikecomputing
if the camera/image quality is at the top of your list (above the OS or the sleek looks) then you should have looked at other options. you can't expect much from the N9's sensor as there's nothing really special about it other than the aspect ratio thing.
the N9 has a different selling point. had nokia given it the N8's sensor then that would be a totally different story, and a totally different and incredibly more absurd sky-high price.
Well, what I want is:

* Maemo Harmattan (not symbian, not Android, not IOS and especially not WP (**** YOU ELOP!!)
* Good camera (N9 not have it seems)
* NFC support (N9 has this)
* some kind of: AirPlay/DLNA (I think this is possible on N9 )
* some kind of tvout when I am at a place where DLNA is not supported. N9 has this
* And as open system as possible but not "to open" because that often means drivers is not optimized (or features not documented/supported) for the HW. (GLX drivers and camera drivers and so on)

I know this seems to be IMPOSSIBLE! Still I dont get WHY endusers wouldn't want to have similar? Again this is just about MARKETING! They could had sold ALOT just by saying all what I am saying above. But Nokia prefer to have zillion of device doing different stuff and thats soo stupid strategy. I dont mind if they had some differentiation. But on highend it should have everything the low/midend has. **** sake N9 was release 2010. Its midend device now! Why didnt they make N9 a nextgen N8 for the consumers!?

Ohh I forgot Elops ****ing WP stragtegy!

Well in the end it seems N9 STILL is the best choice for me. I am not whiner I just a bit dissapointed aboout the camera :-/ The rest of the device still seems to be a good device

I just hope we can "fix" some of the lackness by using fcam project OR Nokia add some more options to the camera driver to tweek more with the pictures taken

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Didn't abbra mention a gui based on a gtk app will most probably be used?
I can't recall it's name, it was in that "facts" thread that shallimus started.
And Re SE_Arc, I'm sure it's weaker than the N9 in many areas.
We all know there's no such thing as the "uber perfect" phone...
SGSII (& some if it's android ilk) is the only one likely to get close to that, & maybe the N9
No way I install gtk apps Gtk/Gnome sucks, KDE/Qt apps RULES

Hell now I remember for three years I did say gtk+/gnome rules and hated KDE maybe I will be a WP fanboy in some years :O

If THAT happens please send a murder too kill me

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Ohh I forgot Elops ****ing WP stragtegy!
My goodness I just love your rage. It sustains me.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
I'm going to Bahrain next week through LHR. I know LHR Nokia store won't have the N9. But the N9 has been shipped to stores in Dubai, does anyone know if that means it'll also be available in Quatar or Bahrain?

Or even if it's available in Bahrain, where the heck I'd find it?

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
I was incorrect earlier regarding the 'live' thumbnails. I obviously wasn't looking closely enough. The minimised video plays smoothly. Too bad you can't do that with the stock video player. :/

My website

GitHub

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Aegis security on an "open-source" phone that actually gets in the way of the scant few developers on that platform (even slightly) and I've yet to hear of any usage for this security for anything DRM related is not lost on me.

In fact, where's the movies? The music? The books? The magazines? And I don't mean ePub or DRM-less PDF's either - I already have FBReader on Android and formerly on my N810.

What's the benefit of this Aegis security? What exactly is it protecting? You, the media or Nokia?

And where's the rest of the **** that usually comes with a media savvy phone? I'm happy the web browser on the N9 seems to work well. As does terminal. As well as Angry Birds. But beyond that... the reports seem to be lacking.

Glad user/root/whoami got sorted though! WOOHOO!
Why do you even bothr ask this in a this thread? No one here actually knows why. I point you too:

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4575

atleast there is one Nokia employer who tries too explain the damn AEGIS :-/

My guess is one reason is nokiastore want this peace of ****...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cincibluer6 View Post
What's the use of so many other threads? This one seems to be doing fine if you ask me. Besides, who wants to miss being the lucky 10k winner?
Your ****ing kidding do ya?

Simple answer: if endusers try to read this messy thread they would got bored after 100 first messages and sell they'r devices thats for sure...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????