Active Topics

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
no it should not cause LG Optimus doesnt run meego harmattan, does not have NFC, does not have as good camera as N9. has way less flashmemory and 512ram. I am also sure there where more engineers working on n9 than those copy/paste android companys who just flash in latest android tweek little with the UI and then release the device!

Above Engineer costs money! if you dont understand this basic thing, its just pointless continue discuss it.
i understand the points you and Jaylst are making, and i do recognise them, but, i just don't accept that nokia is right to be charging absolute top-flight prices for something that has mid-range specs these days.

yes, i will buy one because i am stupid enough not to care, but i think it will unduly hurt the revenue potential as they will lose more from deterred customers than they will gain from higher margins.

and if they really do have to charge £500 for an N9 to achieve a sensible margin of profitability then they are doing something very wrong!

while UK prices are not yet known the 16GB version seems to be sitting around the £500 mark, with mobilefun.co.uk sticking a £520 price tag on it.

a htc sensation from the same people currently lists at £400:

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/sim-free-...ion-p29011.htm

a htc titan from mobilefun lists at £480:

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/sim-free-...tan-p31765.htm

if the 16GB model actually ends up with a price tag around £400 then that will be sensible, however, if it really does end up north of £500 then nokia really did need to ditch meego/harmattan because it would appear quite obvious that they cannot produce high-end smartphones at a competitive price using that platform!

the fact that you and I will buy it regardless of the price is not the point, the point is that something is deeply deeply wrong if nokia has to charge over the odds for hardware that is underwhelming.

Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 2011-10-10 at 07:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Paapaa View Post
When will there be Ovi support for N9?

I NEED my SMS messages from N900 -> N9. Ovi doesn't support N9 yet.
Please post in the appropriate thread.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78598&page=10
This is the casual banter thread....

Good night.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-09 at 18:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ P.A.
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
It's not a jab since I'm not familiar with that word. Ok, just thought it would be a great idea since this is the major n9 thread. No need to organize this thread.
More familiar with "roundhouse" ?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to scapegoat845 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by scapegoat845 View Post
More familiar with "roundhouse" ?
Well played sir.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Then how did Maemo 6 go from flagship OS as OPK had stated it would be to low-level as Meltemi? There's more to that than folks are paying heed to... Meltemi will be much lesser than Harmattan to accomplish that goal.
I agree. I have absolutely no personal "hands on" experiences with WP or Harmattan but aren't they currently pretty much competing OSes? So, if dumbphone Meltemi were just to be a renamed Harmattan, how or better yet, why would it be positioned below WP? Bigger screens or cameras hardly would make sense.

Also, doesn't WP run on those specs?

...OPK had years to deliver a coherent plan. It never happened. Microsoft was able to step in because of Nokia inability to produce results. I do not see it any other way. The results, the high return and defect rate, Qt just now becoming good enough and entrenched enough to be a good thing, all are years after the fact. Nokia didn't have years to get things ready.
I thought Symbian is doing better now than it has in years compared to other OSes and the big thing MeeGo/Harmattan is now here. I'm not sure can Elop take credit for these as wasn't this OPK's plan?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by awex View Post
Also, doesn't WP run on those specs?
For the most part, yes. And beyond Mango, there's Tango for WP7. And Tango is aimed for the "lower-end, cheaper devices developed by companies such as Nokia and ZTE" in Asian and other markets. Yet again, another conflict of interest if you're paying attention.

Meltemi is quickly becoming something that I just do not know what it should be, what it will be, and what to think of it. I fear that Maemo 6 stripped down a bit just isn't cutting it. Tango exists also in that same market as does Symbian.

I thought Symbian is doing better now than it has in years compared to other OSes and the big thing MeeGo/Harmattan is now here. I'm not sure can Elop take credit for these as wasn't this OPK's plan?
Yep. And I have to say that OPK was behind that. For an OS that Microsoft wants to kill so badly - alongside Maemo/MeeGo - it's helping out Nokia's bottom line in a huge way.

What's funny... even though Symbian has a minor stake in the North American market, I get asked about Belle and Anna more than I do MeeGo/Maemo and WP7 put together. I'm just one individual, but I find that odd.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Meltemi is quickly becoming something that I just do not know what it should be, what it will be, and what to think of it. I fear that Maemo 6 stripped down a bit just isn't cutting it. Tango exists also in that same market as does Symbian.
Another speculated very distant possibility is that Nokia would have its own platform if WP was to fail catastrophically. To me that sounds just hopeful thinking on the part of Harmattan's future.

This is steering pretty quickly so badly off topic that I guess it's time to agree in the words of Yoda: "Yet to be seen this is. Clouded, is the future."

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by scapegoat845 View Post
A video i recommend. Michael from MNB's 2nd review of the N9 & it crashes. If u read the description, he says there was a clicking noise coming from the device right before it gets all laggy. But if u watch the video, that "clicking" noise is throughout the ENTIRE video. He prob just started to notice around 8:00, where it just starts to crash. Not good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=9U9Fg1Wpq5g#!
Bummer.....that is why we need more comprehensive reviews rather than blind buy

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Couldn't sleep so what the heck....

I don't buy the argument that Meltemi must be dumber just coz it's in the traditional featurephone/dumbphone segments.
All the pundits are pointing to Android scaling down to what was featurephone territory soon, w/little to no dumbing-down.
And Nokia needs to compete on that front....

And dumb/featurephones represent something like 57% (63?) of all of Nokia's handset revenue.
Sticking with Maemo allows them to keep the entire profit margin of that large chunk of it's estimate pie.

Nokia won't differentiate by making Meltemi far more limited than Nokia WP.
They'll differentiate by making the hw more limited, and perhaps access to many services.
(mostly MS ones, which it may not get access to anyway)

Unless Elop is the only one that has the last word, then these Meletemi rumours are moot, as Tango's well in it's way.
But I think these segments of Nokia's handsets will be harder for him to ride roughshod over w/o far greater scrutiny.
As then he's betting everything on one platform only, and killing-off anywhere for the Qt ecosystem* to grow/diversify.

Except potentially WP, which is pretty narrow-minded/short-sighted/defeatist/trojany IMO.

*gah, I hate that word!

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-09 at 20:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by oweng View Post
Oh I don't no Mike, maybe:

number of iphones sold Vs android sold Vs N900 sold Vs N9s ??? Vs symbian market share Vs Nokia pushing forward with MS

But that's not really what I have been driving at.

All I am saying is that as a phone owner I want a supported device which I can buy in the next couple of months. I'd like it to have all the features useful to me for daily use. Most people don't require a terminal, or need to know how to write a script.

Whatever replaces Symbian, well who knows, but I am open minded - when the time comes if there is a new symbian replacement it will be time to judge it on it's merits against the competition whoever or whatever that maybe.

Time travel would be handy but I have seen back to the future 2!
Again they had promised support long as Symbian (means 2015). Why should we not trust that if you trust that Symbian will be supported!? Again N900 IS NOT N9! Way different device. Actually it some of the reasons N900 are pissed on N9 cause its to much not N900.

They also give alot of hints how too port apps from IOS and Android to Qt on the devsite. But I guess people here is too lazy read that and instead sitting on TMO and whining. I dont point you in this case but there is several people here repeating same over and over again. (And then I come and repeating myself.....

But more info will come in end of october. I would not be chocked if they actually is porting QtQuick to WPx. (not fully Qt but QtDeclarative(QML))

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-10-09 at 19:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????