Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Think a while - what is use for "keyboard opened" message, if it is sent every time smscon is running? Even using email only, we don't want to be flooded by such messages, until we need it (due to N900 being stolen or lost).

Same apply for other checkboxes under General -> Reply message - we may want to know about battery state, but not until our SIM was replaced by unauthorized one, or we ask by SMSCON message! etc...

/Estel
Yes, notifications about keyboard slider moves and battery charge should not be send unconditionally. This might currently be the reason when most users decide to turn these notifications off.

In my opinion checking an extra condition (on SIM change detection, on receiving any command, ...) would make things even more complicated than they are.

What about a straight forward solution to have COM_ENABLE/COM_DISABLE commands that allow to modify settings remotely. So its explicitly up to the regular owner when he/she begins being interested in getting notifications about what happened with the phone.

This would be analogous to the GPS location/tracking feature which also requires explicit command to make the phone sending notifications and when to stop.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yablacky For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by emotion View Post
Please I have a problem with smscon 0.7-4 version and kernel 48, when I want choose other password, I have these message: "the new password hash could not be stored". Please I need your help.
Do not use blanks in the password. Blanks are first possible with smscon-editor 0.9

Last edited by yablacky; 2011-12-24 at 12:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to yablacky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by yablacky View Post
Yes, notifications about keyboard slider moves and battery charge should not be send unconditionally. This might currently be the reason when most users decide to turn these notifications off.

In my opinion checking an extra condition (on SIM change detection, on receiving any command, ...) would make things even more complicated than they are.

What about a straight forward solution to have COM_ENABLE/COM_DISABLE commands that allow to modify settings remotely. So its explicitly up to the regular owner when he/she begins being interested in getting notifications about what happened with the phone.

This would be analogous to the GPS location/tracking feature which also requires explicit command to make the phone sending notifications and when to stop.
I agree with all, just would like to add that the original idea (by digitalvoid) is to have an application that is able to control the phone from distance.

Now, discussing further the proposals my opinion would be to:

- Remove completely the separate battery level messages. Include the state (i.e. charging/discharging) and value (i.e. % left) of the battery with any communication made. The idea is I would like to know if I have enough juice left to continue searching for the phone intensively or back off a little to allow longer period of activity. I don't need to know the battery level on 'normal' occasions.

- Remove completely the separate slider open/close messages. In the case I ask for a front cam picture take it and send it after a second from the next keyboard slide open. Then I would get more/better chances of a picture with a face included (normally when one opens the keyboard moves the phone close and directed to the face in order to type and watch the screen).

In the future, let's say in version 2.0 of SMSCON, I would like to see each action been executed in a separate thread/process. Then I could send a trackOn command and just after a front cam picture request. Each process will execute and return results when they complete.

As usual my opinions only and open for discussion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Lima, Peru
Do not use blanks in the password. Blanks are first possible with smscon-editor 0.9
the problem is that now I have 2 passwords: one is 12345 and the other is my new password ¿how erase the 12345?

the problem is that now I have 2 passwords: one is 12345 and the other is my new password ¿how erase the 12345?
Hmm, not sure that I understand what you mean having 2 passwords. Do you speak about two different applications/events/places where password is asked for? If yes, which ones?

If you mean how to replace the 1st password by the 2nd then the answer is: open SMSCON editor with 1st password. Then open the application-main-menu (the one located just left hand side of close button) and select "Change password". Enter the new password, click "Update". This "erases" the old password and replaces it by the new one.

To be on save side, in versions before 0.9 passwords should consist of only 0-9, a-z or A-Z, BUT NO punctuation chars nor blanks or quotes.

Let me know if you if you got it working now.

... and merry christmas!

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Lima, Peru
Hmm, not sure that I understand what you mean having 2 passwords. Do you speak about two different applications/events/places where password is asked for? If yes, which ones?

If you mean how to replace the 1st password by the 2nd then the answer is: open SMSCON editor with 1st password. Then open the application-main-menu (the one located just left hand side of close button) and select "Change password". Enter the new password, click "Update". This "erases" the old password and replaces it by the new one.

To be on save side, in versions before 0.9 passwords should consist of only 0-9, a-z or A-Z, BUT NO punctuation chars nor blanks or quotes.

Let me know if you if you got it working now.

... and merry christmas!
Hello yablacky Merry Christmas too. Thank you for your quick response. My problem began when I activated the repositories development and download the latest version of smscon, this overwrote the version smscon extras. But when I decided to revert to version 0.7 and had refilled all the options, I decided to change the password again and wrote smscon I opened my new password ... So far so good, but my surprise was when I discovered that with the default password is also open the smscon 12345 how do I fix this? Please, I need help.

The Following User Says Thank You to emotion For This Useful Post:
... So far so good, but my surprise was when I discovered that with the default password is also open the smscon 12345 how do I fix this? Please, I need help.
Did you try to set an empty password? Don't do it. Empty password is converted to the default password which is 12345.

Why did you decide to go back to 0.7?

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Since I got no response to http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=893 I wanted to look in the code myself.
But the program itself is compiled python an there is no source code available. Perhaps it is because of security reasons, but it makes tracking problems not that easy. Is it possible to get some levels of debug logging available instead? Just the message "ERROR: Daemon smscon_daemon failed to start." in the log doesn't give me a clue...

The Following User Says Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ade View Post
Since I got no response to http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=893 I wanted to look in the code myself.
But the program itself is compiled python an there is no source code available. Perhaps it is because of security reasons, but it makes tracking problems not that easy. Is it possible to get some levels of debug logging available instead? Just the message "ERROR: Daemon smscon_daemon failed to start." in the log doesn't give me a clue...
Sorry, we try so solve your problem now. You might look into the source code as well, its open source. But I guess, the source alone does not bring us further here.

First, let me know which version you are using. In xterm please enter
Code:
$ sudo smscon -version
and let me know the output.

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Sorry, we try so solve your problem now. You might look into the source code as well, its open source. But I guess, the source alone does not bring us further here.

First, let me know which version you are using. In xterm please enter
Code:
$ sudo smscon -version
and let me know the output.
So the source code is available? In the garage, I only saw the deb files (and no tar.gz source).

My installed version is: 0.9.6