Active Topics

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Still waiting for Qt Components to merge across the two platforms. :/ It baffles me why they ever thought it would be a good idea to have separate components. Completely unnecessary fragmentation that undermines the whole 'code once, deploy everywhere' mantra.
Never coded for Symbian but heard about it and it doesn't make sense to me either. Could be different teams and iirc the Symbian implementation was in use much earlier than the Meego one. And you can always use raw QML if you want it to run on everything from desktops to smartphones. Sure you have to reinvent the wheel a couple of times but it will at least work. And you can reuse your home made components in many apps too. I only use raw QML myself so it is possible.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Maybe these webcams come with commercial grade drivers, and the front facing camera of the N9 does not?
I find that hard to swallow as a truth. In a closed and predictable environment such as a phone, you know the manufacturer, the make, the model and the drivers for all pieces that you're including. Now... that doesn't mean that the drivers are open source; however as it stands, that seems to be more of the norm with things being closed source on the N9.

The whole porting from GTK+ to Qt happened over a year ago for most folks. So to hear that it has to be re-written to QML/Qt Quick yet again seems like there was an extra step.

Not exactly ideal, but hey... **** happens.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Maybe you should start a new thread for the skype issue, something like "Skype video call [EPIC]". My gut tells me that it'll be a long one.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
Maybe you should start a new thread for the skype issue, something like "Skype video call [EPIC]". My gut tells me that it'll be a long one.
Don't dare me. I do dares. All of them.

It's in my nature.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Still waiting for Qt Components to merge across the two platforms. :/ It baffles me why they ever thought it would be a good idea to have separate components. Completely unnecessary fragmentation that undermines the whole 'code once, deploy everywhere' mantra.
I like Nokia, but the fact that this wasn't a priority is a huge upper management/project manager fail. I kind of understand why it's non-trivial from a technical perspective (GTK remnants vs. QT), but they had plenty of time to work it out. This should have been at the top of the white board. Also, it would have put hair on their chest.

Even though there are many, if someone wants to point to just one thing of why Nokia is struggling so hard, this could be in the top five.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ New Delhi, India
Anyone seen this??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2SaL30_RLI
A glimpse of Multi-tasking. 30 'instances' of apps open simultaneously and smooth as butter.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rohit.hellboy For This Useful Post:
lol
It's so funny that there's so much uncertain hoop jumping to be done to do seemingly trivial things that other platforms do. It seems whenever Nokia gets into things get more complicated and fragmented. It must be exhausting for devs and hackers.

@gerbick
Which WP7 phone do you have? and what are your major personal drawbacks with it post Mango update. I ask since you've had much more experience with it than I have and I intend to get the HTC titan when it comes out.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Originally Posted by Grazy View Post
he must have sent them all on 7th, as he had several lots and i won mine in the last! he hasn't put anymore up. He must have only bought so many!

I'm gona have to come home at lunch to see if it's arrived! if not i,m gona have to collect!

thanks for your help! enjoy your N9!
Shouldn't you be more patient?

Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
have you compared the front cam image on N900 for "skype", "miror" and gstreamer? skype image is way better, on the very same hardware, because of tweaking and optimisation from the n900 skype devs (that they didn't release for others app to use, so we can't really thank them for that).
How do you think these patches apply on the N9? They don't. So the fact that skype has been released for the N900 is irrelevant.
I have a far more simple view of it. It works on my high-end device I bought two years ago from Nokia. It no longer works on the newest high-end device put out by Nokia that is seen as the progression of the last device (but maybe it will in the future, to be fair). As a consumer, that is a step backwards for the same "tier" of device, if it never comes to the N9.

All of the technical reasons why don't really matter. If it's a priority feature for Nokia they will make it happen or partner with someone again who can (skype/MSFT). Or they will not. They did it once before on a similarly classed device, so why not now (rhetorical question)?

My only point is that we shouldn't lower expectations when there was a reasonable precedent set before in the N900, and there was definitely a subtext of "how could you guys expect the N9 to support skype video chat" cropping up for a second there. It's not like skype video chat is some archaic dev-only feature that no one uses.

Apologies for the tangent. I will stay on topic starting on 10,000 going forward.

Last edited by Drekkie; 2011-10-10 at 17:04.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The whole porting from GTK+ to Qt happened over a year ago for most folks. So to hear that it has to be re-written to QML/Qt Quick yet again seems like there was an extra step.
That is true. But just to clarify, QML is just a layer on top of QtCore just as qwidgets (the qml view is even inheriting the qwidget class) so it's not an enourmous task to port from qwidgets to QML. But yeah it still needs to be done. Everything you see on the screen have to be completely rewritten when porting from qwidgets to QML. People seems to be quite happy to do it anyway because QML is the MUCH better toolkit to use for tablets.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????