Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
just had a thought.
anyone remember the jessies girl teaser video that was leaked? that was worked on earlier during the year, there was an article which i can't find that the production company talked about the making of it etc.
anyway. my point is. the only phone in that teaser is the n950.
It seams like the N9 was not planned for so soon a release and the n950 was the planned release with the n9 following up the next year. Then came the hiccup and what looks like the rush to have the n9 market ready. This would explain a few things to be honest.

again i could be completely wrong but thinking back at all the rumours it sorta fits the bill.
If that were true, then the longer planned N950 would have the aforesaid missing parts that the N9 doesn't have. That's not the case... they're basically joined at the hip despite the N9 having superior specs in a few cases.

I think honestly we're seeing the N900 launch yet again. Announce early, launch later, still don't have all of the pieces in place. Again.

I just hope things are righted before Elop or the market says it cannot bear the weight and time for updates for Harmattan. Now that would be a tragedy. And one I can see Elop and company (read: Nokia board of directors) totally stating that due to the lackluster sales of WP7, the funds that were going to Harmattan are now going to prop up the main strategy WP7 with WP8 being the next iteration that will save them.

Wow. That kind of stuff writes itself.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Crazy thread is crazy....

Originally Posted by delmar View Post
OT:
http://nokia.taleo.net/careersection...ob=RES000002D6
Why Nokia is searching such a person? Maybe an option after WP/ failure?
"Job no longer available" What was it?

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
That really doesn't address the COMPLETE lack of camera support--especially if Maemo had already supported it...
Well that's not entirely true, what about the mirror app that's already up on the store?
Hundreds of posts about no video calling, and yet no mention of Peregrine?
http://wiki.peregrine-communicator.org/display/app/home
http://wiki.peregrine-communicator.o...y/app/download
IIRC video chat's (XMPP/Jingle, not sure about MUJI) coming w/1.1 stable.
Their last estimate about 1-month back was approx. mid-October.
It may not perform as well as Skype, but it's a nice stop-gap until/if Skype comes.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Six revisions and they STILL can't solidify simple things like libraries and simplify upgrade paths while iOS apps from years ago are able to still run on iOS 5 and Android apps from 1.5 are able to run with little to no modification on Android 3.2.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...t=1785096&p=33
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...5096&p=34#r661

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Still waiting for Qt Components to merge across the two platforms. :/ It baffles me why they ever thought it would be a good idea to have separate components. Completely unnecessary fragmentation that undermines the whole 'code once, deploy everywhere' mantra.
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I like Nokia, but the fact that this wasn't a priority is a huge upper management/project manager fail. I kind of understand why it's non-trivial from a technical perspective (GTK remnants vs. QT), but they had plenty of time to work it out. This should have been at the top of the white board. Also, it would have put hair on their chest.
Even though there are many, if someone wants to point to just one thing of why Nokia is struggling so hard, this could be in the top five.
This!!!!
I mean WTF???? Can any of the guys more clued-up in this area...
Actually explain to all of us, whether this is now very close to being realised?
If near instant compatibility between Symbian/Harmattan is realised, it'd be a HUGE boon.

Originally Posted by Drekkie View Post
First it was lack of gapless (which i have probably canvased the forum about more than I should, but that's my big feature) now this.
I do hope that N9 owners enjoy their purchase. Hell, I'm jealous that I will likely never be one of them.
Asketh and yee shall be granted
http://nokiagadgets.com/2011/10/08/q...-n9n950-video/

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Can't disable Aegis. Do I need to jailbreak my n9 :eek
But this is still a WIP, and far from a forgone conclusion.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
May I ask you if you ever had tried out N9 or do you just reading rumors like people here? Why do you in a second post talk about N900 when I already had said N9 is NOT N900.

I actually hold N9 in my hand now and I doint get what is "geek" about it!? Infact Android is more a geekOS than N9.
Sorry mate you completely misunderstood my point, no matter how great the N9 is, and I do believe you, it has a limited future.

I was aware that the N900 (which I own) is not the N9 (which I don't own). LOL!

I was reflecting on how the management of the N900 post its launch, followed by the DOA Meego, means that the N9 is tainted. You and I could write articles, film commericals preach from the mountain tops as to how great the N9 is, or rather the potential it could have, but nobody is listening.

I wouldn't mind having a niche, unusual device - but not to get in to the Skype video issue all over again - I think fewer people are dedicating their efforts to develop for the N9, particularly commercial developpers. Why would they?

I think the N9 UI looks beautiful and that its build has a superb physical aesthetic.

I'm sure it's fast, and easy to use.

BTW I rely on people posting their experience here so that I can make an informed decision.

At the moment I have to say that I have gone from enthusiastic to a bit concerned.

If I could have made a purchase even last week I would have but now things aren't so clear.

Please keep posting people - I need your insights.

Thanks.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oweng For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
now that does look good.

Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
just had a thought.
anyone remember the jessies girl teaser video that was leaked? that was worked on earlier during the year, there was an article which i can't find that the production company talked about the making of it etc.
anyway. my point is. the only phone in that teaser is the n950.
It seams like the N9 was not planned for so soon a release and the n950 was the planned release with the n9 following up the next year. Then came the hiccup and what looks like the rush to have the n9 market ready. This would explain a few things to be honest.

again i could be completely wrong but thinking back at all the rumours it sorta fits the bill.
As I recall there was def. always a slate planned...
I think the N950 was to be roughly Dec. & the N9 Q2-ish? (my mem's fuzzy)
But I don't think the fact that it was always due out a bit later than the N950 is much of an excuse personally

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-10 at 20:18.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Internal twitter client seems to not have possibility to click on http links (thats is more used frequetly by normal users and is bad ofcourse
You can click HTTP links, but you need to click the tweet first, which takes you to the more detailed view. You can click the link from there.

Musicplayer is kinda stupid cause if you klick on the album image it start/stop play the song. IMHO it should instead show tracks on selected album. start/stop song is just wierd when you have the start/stoip buttons :-S
I agree. My app works the way you suggest.

My website

GitHub

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I agree. My app works the way you suggest.
Perhaps this may be more to your liking

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Perhaps this may be more to your liking
Nice features (though I would probably never use most of them), but too fiddly for my taste. I quite like the stock music player, I just agree with Mike that tapping the album cover should take you to the playlist, rather than toggle play/pause.

OTOH, the video player sucks big time. Portrait only when browsing content, but landscape only during playback. Lame.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Crazy thread is crazy....

"Job no longer available" What was it?
qTranslation from an Italian forum:
Emerging Device Nokia is looking for individuals with a proven track record of success. We are currently looking for experienced Architects SW. There will be a key member of the newly formed team which will take the overall management of the Linux device, SW and kernel architecture for our products, demonstrating a capacity to understand and manage complex projects and SW, including their configurability, modularity and interfaces. The scope of work is all in the SW as a whole, as in the optimal development and adaptation to Nokia devices and services. The role is also to ensure optimal system performance and SW, HW and architects together with our suppliers, as well as having excellent communication skills to succeed at international level, multi-company environment with our vendors and partners.

The requirements are:
Degree or equivalent degree on the architecture of the software
5 years of experience on the Linux system kernel and practical experience in Architecture and Engineering of the SW-depth programming skills in C / C Knowledge Qt / QML Excellence in teamwork Deep understanding of core technologies such as Linux kernel, upstart, glibc toolchain Deep understanding on energy management in a mobile device Deep understanding on the management and efficiency of the power and practices of software engineering, as well as the ability to communicate Deep understanding of Linux kernel development experience Deep understanding of file systems Deep understanding on developing Linux USB Deep understanding of positioning technologies including NPE

The Following User Says Thank You to delmar For This Useful Post:

Just when I had come to terms with my decision to pass on this, you had to go and drop that on me. I may be back in the game now (argh).

darn you and your excellent N9 info-scavenging throughout this whole process (and it has most def been a process; kind of like how "grieving" is a process).

The Following User Says Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????