Posts: 49 | Thanked: 112 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
I would really like if you try to be a little bit more informative when describing your problems. "...something with..." don't help much trying to find what is going on and why you are the only one amongst more than 400 users having that "freeze" problem.

@Estel - I need dmesg and syslog after the restart, not at the time of the "freeze"
freemnangordon why don't you add step by step troubleshooting guide with expected output in the first post? it would save you a lot of time and frustration (I guess?) by not having to repeat yourself...

I'm sure it would benefit and educate a lot of less experienced users (including me) in dealing with any problems they may encounter with thumb CSSU.

Personally I had no problems with thumb so far and I'm glad I have installed it. Thanks
Flash Player v10.1 (faked to v12.1) is here!

Taking pre-orders for dual PolarCell battery (~3000mAh) with Mugen cover for £50
Get a free giffgaff Sim with £5 credit here! Also 250mins unlimited txts & internet for £10 PAYG!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sEKI For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sEKI View Post
freemnangordon why don't you add step by step troubleshooting guide with expected output in the first post? it would save you a lot of time and frustration (I guess?) by not having to repeat yourself...

I'm sure it would benefit and educate a lot of less experienced users (including me) in dealing with any problems they may encounter with thumb CSSU.
Wild guess - probably, he expected, that such experimental stuff will be installed only by people that know already, hot to report problems properly (or how to ask about how to report properly, before reporting ).

Still, at current state, CSSU-Thumb is - in practice - CSSU testing (and cssu-testing is cssu-stable, due to various ambient conditions, like way CSSU-mainline is maintained, etc - out of topic here), and, frankly, we have "stable" i thread title here.

While I know that this doesn't mean "c'mon here and install it right now, everyone!", it's natural, that everyone want to experience thumb2's and upgraded compiler's benefits.

So, summing it up, I agree, that in current conditions, adding mandatory lecture about proper reporting of problems, could be beneficial. Some would read it, for others, it would be enough to post link as a reply (instead of repeating self over and over), and who knows, maybe other projects would link to those instructions too...

/Estel

// Edit

I planned to jump into writing such tutorial right now, but, as my comment on timeline of syslog/dmesg output shows, my "expertise" on the matter, may be not up to the task. I wouldn't like to cause much trouble/confusion by messing something up, that's why I think it would be better, if freemangordon would write such guidelines himself. I'll gladly pack it, then, into wiki page.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-10-21 at 14:55.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Belgrade, Serbia
@freemangordon

My neighbor from Sofia, last night do my reflash duty and everything works nice and smooth.

As a long time Linux user on desktop I don`t have a clue whats go wrong on my device, i`m shure that doing everything here by the book. but who knows...

The Following User Says Thank You to uros For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Wild guess - probably, he expected, that such experimental stuff will be installed only by people that know already, hot to report problems properly (or how to ask about how to report properly, before reporting ).

Still, at current state, CSSU-Thumb is - in practice - CSSU testing (and cssu-testing is cssu-stable, due to various ambient conditions, like way CSSU-mainline is maintained, etc - out of topic here), and, frankly, we have "stable" i thread title here.

While I know that this doesn't mean "c'mon here and install it right now, everyone!", it's natural, that everyone want to experience thumb2's and upgraded compiler's benefits.

So, summing it up, I agree, that in current conditions, adding mandatory lecture about proper reporting of problems, could be beneficial. Some would read it, for others, it would be enough to post link as a reply (instead of repeating self over and over), and who knows, maybe other projects would link to those instructions too...

/Estel

// Edit

I planned to jump into writing such tutorial right now, but, as my comment on timeline of syslog/dmesg output shows, my "expertise" on the matter, may be not up to the task. I wouldn't like to cause much trouble/confusion by messing something up, that's why I think it would be better, if freemangordon would write such guidelines himself. I'll gladly pack it, then, into wiki page.
Id rather FMG squandered his time writing cool **** for the n900 than boring **** on the wiki.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Just reading back...I am seeing devel this, apt-get that.

WTF is wrong with you people?

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Australia
I clicked on the install link on the first page. It added the repos. I ran the enabler then it opened the app manager. Then to install thumb it says that I need nokia pc suie to install. Is there another way to install thumb without using nokia pc suite?

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by n900d-i-y View Post
I clicked on the install link on the first page. It added the repos. I ran the enabler then it opened the app manager. Then to install thumb it says that I need nokia pc suie to install. Is there another way to install thumb without using nokia pc suite?
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/Installation_FAQ

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Australia
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/Installation_FAQ
Hi, Im probably gonna sound stupid but is this what I need to do?

apt-get update
apt-get install mp-fremantle-community-pr

The Following User Says Thank You to n900d-i-y For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Yeah, but you just have to do it yourself...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85371

Originally Posted by mrsellout
When you try to upgrade using the Application Manager and you get the "use Nokia PC Suite" error you might be able to press on the "details" button and there might be a "problems" button where there should be more information about the issue.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Hi, Im probably gonna sound stupid but is this what I need to do?

apt-get update
apt-get install mp-fremantle-community-pr
Did you read what's written on the page I linked? Did you follow the instructions there? The first Q/A there is "Q: I can't update, as I get the message: TO UPDATE YOUR DEVICE TO THIS VERSION OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM YOU MUST USE NOKIA PC SUITE ON YOUR PC..."

Meh.

Check "Problems" tab in application manager, and if you cannot sort why you cannot install CSSU-thumb, post what's written there.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

Last edited by freemangordon; 2012-10-22 at 07:50.

Tags
code size, dinosaurs, fmg ftw!, fmg.da.king, performance, thumb, thumb life