Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
It isn't related to You *ekhm* problem report - point 2 and 3 was mentioned so many times in this thread, that I'm going to leave pleasure of finding it to You.

IF device is unbootable after restore, either:

1) You've did something during backup process, that made backup corrupted, and you've ignored warnings, by restoring such existent, but wrong backup
no, but I got errors during the restore.

2) You're trying to restore rootfs+optfs backup made with some custom kernel, on device with stock kernel
right, on my device atm stock kernel, on the backup image kernel-power 48... hmm how to solve it?

3) Everything is ok, and You're just booting it up with keyboard open.

To be honest, personally, I bid for the 3th.
To be honest, personally, I don't see point 3 as a compliment. No you're wrong

Sorry for point 3 - I just wasn't able to stop myself for writing it, after seeing totally unrelated messages in Your report - they appear everytime You open backupmenu, without those two reported (unnecessary) files on device. So You were basically reporting messages from backupmenu starting process, as a reason for unbootable device

To be honest, error messages - that you get, while trying to restore - would be much more useful.

As for Your question - reflashing, installing kp48 + backupmenu, and restoring backup after that, should do the trick. Ho ever, posting here errors that You get during backup restoration may be sane thing to do - it's possible, that Your backup is corrupted (not related to fact that you're trying to restore over wrong kernel).

To be honest, I would post errors here, then, immediately, try proposed solution - it's a chance that You'll fix everything without waiting for answer. At the same time, *if* Your backup is corrupted, You're doomed to start form scratch (reflash, manually installing) anyway. Ho ever, keep in mind that I've not seen any case, where wrong backup happen "out of the blue sky" - backuping algorithm is quite reliable, and if it finished backuping without errors + announced that it was completed successfully, it is probably some kind of user fault (pure assumption here, thought).

Anyway, please report here about results - it's interesting.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-10-23 at 17:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
seems to solve it, thx a lot

No problem, I'm glad it solved your problem. Also, in future, You may use "thanks" button on the downright part of post You would like to "thank". Not mocking up, just saying in case of future "thank you" situations

Good luck with hackin' on Your N900!
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Forgive me if I'm not posting this in the right place.

I have a problem with backupmenu.

I have two N900s (both PR-1.2), and I want to clone one to the other. The trouble is that backupmenu does not work on the phone from which I want to write a backup (it works fine on phone I want to read the backup).

When I boot with the keyboard open the screen just shows:

Code:
          BOOT MENU

Maemo 5 (Internal flash)
   Power off (when not on charger)

Press UP/DOWN to move, ENTER to select
   Press CTRL key for USB mass storage mode
   Press SHIFT key for USB network recovery mode
I have bash installed, but /usr/sh still points to busybox.

I tried removing and reinstalling backupmenu, but that didn't help.

Does anyone have an suggestions to help me diagnose and fix the problem?

Thanks.

I found the problem with my setup. backupmenu was trying to use the gnu "find" command instead of the "find" command which links to busybox. So, nothing wrong with backupmenu, it was my personal settings which were causing the problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to stanman For This Useful Post:
Can you add the feature to exclude some folders when backing up? I have a webos game folder which is about 3.5GB and it takes very long to back it up. Furthermore, since fat32 can't handle files larger than 4GB, I think I may not be able to back up when my games folder grow larger.

The Following User Says Thank You to LightRain For This Useful Post:
FYI:

To remove the pesky messages about battery charging state with frame buffer console (root terminal) edit:

/usr/share/backupmenu/Backupmenu.item

and change line 294 from:

Code:
. /bin/charge.sh & chargePid=$!
to:

Code:
. /bin/charge.sh > /dev/null & chargePid=$!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
dumb question mode on:
Of course You've tested, that charging still really occur in background?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
dumb question mode on:
Of course You've tested, that charging still really occur in background?
There are no dumb questions just dumb answers (or some sh1t).

Yes the n900 STILL charges. You can tell because when you plug it in the screen goes bright. All the above does is redirect the script output to /dev/null (black hole that compresses data to a singularity and sends it back in time to when you had the n900 switched off, thus you cannot see it.)

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system