Plan of Linux developers, yes. But hardware manufacturers don't seem to care (so far). For example Nvidia (even on the desktop). Let alone in the mobile field. Android doesn't play a good role in it either. Most vendors publish Android GPU drivers only.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Ok you seem to be right that there is an issue here for the closed source graphics drivers
quoting from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Wayland:

-------
"Will video drivers need to be rewritten for Wayland?

No. Most of the open source drivers have been undergoing rewrites in recent years to support KMS, GEM, and other modern graphics technologies which move more of the graphical functionality into the Linux kernel. Wayland leverages (and requires) these technologies; indeed the whole reason Wayland can exist is because of these changes. But those changes were underway for X in general. In the future Wayland and X will both be using the same graphics drivers.

What about the graphics drivers still in X?

Graphics drivers such as Intel, Nouveau, and Radeon include both kernel drivers and an X driver. With Wayland we only need the kernel drivers. Under the KMS/DRM/GEM architecture, that's where most of the real functionality is, such as modesetting, memory management, and graphics rendering. The remaining bits on the X side of things are used just to interface with the X server and aren't needed by Wayland.

Can Wayland be used with the closed source proprietary graphics drivers?

No, not at this time. fglrx, nvidia, psb, and other closed source drivers are developed externally to X.org and externally to Ubuntu. As far as we know, work to update them to conform to the new KMS/GEM/etc. architecture is not planned (at least, not publicly) and would need to be done before they could be used under Wayland.

According to Kristian closed drivers need 2 things:

A way to set the graphics mode (like KMS, but it could also be a standalone library)
A way to share video memory buffers (for example an EGLImage) between processes

psb already is capable of mode setting. I (adamw) don't know if it can share buffers."
-------

So the question is who makes the drivers for the PowerVR GPU for each SoC vendor and which SoC vendor is Jolla going to use?
TI, Samsung or something else from Asia.

In preparation for Jolla I decided to learn more about linux and qt creator. I learned a lot in just 1 day.

Last edited by aironeous; 2012-08-14 at 05:18.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Sorry Jolla CEO I'm not stalking you, it's just an open source phone thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAWl9...ailpage#t=724s

One thing he said - they aren't making any site yet. Though I don't like such referrals to Twitter or Facebook for those who want to communicate with them. Not all use those, and if they want communication they need something else (like their own forum and etc.). If anyone can communicate it to them - please do.

Keyboard please, >3 row though the N900 pad would do in a pinch and I'll still buy it even if it's lower specs than (say) your tabletphone. Hell, maybe I'll buy both

Can anyone with Twitter account direct this question to Jolla please (I'm not using Twitter, and they unfortunately have no other communication sites):

You said Jolla is MeeGo based. Is it through Mer or Jolla has MeeGo parts not from Mer? For Wikipedia where some are in doubt what you mean.

If anyone can pass this along to Jolla's Twitter - please post the link to the thread back here. There is a length limit on Twitter, but the question is whether Jolla OS is based on Mer (and that's what they called "MeeGo based"), or it also has some parts of the MeeGo project besides Mer and that's why they say "MeeGo based"?. Jolla's often usage of the name MeeGo creates quite a confusion.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-08-15 at 01:54.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
One thing he said - they aren't making any site yet. Though I don't like such referrals to Twitter or Facebook for those who want to communicate with them. Not all use those, and if they want communication they need something else (like their own forum and etc.). If anyone can communicate it to them - please do.
Them using facebook or twitter the way they do makes me wonder if their idea of openness and freedom is the same as mine. After all, the reason why I'm not on such networks is the same as the reason why I don't use an iPhone: non-free, closed system.I can only hope their phone won't be 'twitterish'.

Last edited by benny1967; 2012-08-15 at 07:49.

I proposed to Stskeeps to use Diaspora and Identica in addition. But I'm not sure if Jolla will do it.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Do we have confermation that Jolla wants to answer or talk to Talk.Maemo.org?

from what I've reading above it seems to me that they likes the shadows. That is not a good thing.

Stskeeps will pass the questions along as soon as he'll have some time. Just wait.

So, can anyone with Twitter help out with the question above? The Wiki article is stalled because of no consensus about what Jolla means when saying they are "Meego based".

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla