Active Topics

Originally Posted by malong335 View Post
Just curious, what Sennheiser's do you like? The HD-280s are not as good as the 7506 IMHO. While I would never mix in any headphones, the 7506 sounds more accurate and flat than the HD-280.
Admittedly, I only ever tested Sennheisers at the store and with friends, to see how they compare to the 7506; I don't own one myself. When connected to a top-of-the-line amplifier the HD-280 sounds slightly more accurate, but it's only really noticeable when playing something like a classical concerto, IIRC. I decided that they're not worth it, also because I don't feel like hooking up amplifiers to everything.

Originally Posted by Drewvt View Post
Admittedly, I only ever tested Sennheisers at the store and with friends, to see how they compare to the 7506; I don't own one myself. When connected to a top-of-the-line amplifier the HD-280 sounds slightly more accurate, but it's only really noticeable when playing something like a classical concerto, IIRC. I decided that they're not worth it, also because I don't feel like hooking up amplifiers to everything.
Gotcha, my 7506s and HD-280s are mainly used in my studio plugged into the recording console or headphone amp. The 7506s sound very close to my monitor speakers and I can do late night editing or preliminary tweaking of tracks. For me the HD-280s sound lacking a bit and have been relegated to drummers or guitar players for tracking. I rarely use either connected to an iPod or NIT and agree that I don't want to carry an amp for portable audio.

If anyone wants a great pair of in-ear phones that won't completely break the bank, I highly recommend the Futuresonic Atrios with the Shure Olive tips.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ San Diego, CA, USA
Has anyone managed to hook up a bithead or total bithead to an N8x0, yet?

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Boston, MA
This may (will?) also require a connector to put the tablet in USB host mode
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi..._using_OS_2008
If anyone has host mode enabled and a total bithead/airhead, I would love to know the results before making a purchase.

Originally Posted by jdm View Post
Has anyone managed to hook up a bithead or total bithead to an N8x0, yet?
I am confused (or maybe ignorant in addition), but why would anyone want to go through so much effort to use a Headroom Total Bithead with their N800 when a Headroom Total Airhead is available for the same price, which operates directly from the N800 (or N810)) headphone jack?

NEXT DAY EDIT: I was mistaken on the price. The Airhead is about $100, about $50 cheaper than the Bithead.

Last edited by ascherjim; 2008-03-10 at 13:57.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ San Diego, CA, USA
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
I am confused (or maybe ignorant in addition), but why would anyone want to go through so much effort to use a Headroom Total Bithead with their N800 when a Headroom Total Airhead is available for the same price, which operates directly from the N800 (or N810)) headphone jack?

NEXT DAY EDIT: I was mistaken on the price. The Airhead is about $100, about $50 cheaper than the Bithead.
1. I already have one.

2. The total bithead has a better dac and amp than the N8x0 and (via the usb) is used instead of the ones in the N8x0. The result is better quality.

I have a decent 3rd party sound card in my pc, but I notice a definite improvement in sound quality (less noise, more crisp, more texture, depth, . . .) when I use the total bithead via the usb vs. the earphone jack.

cheers

Originally Posted by jdm View Post
1. I already have one.

2. The total bithead has a better dac and amp than the N8x0 and (via the usb) is used instead of the ones in the N8x0. The result is better quality.

I have a decent 3rd party sound card in my pc, but I notice a definite improvement in sound quality (less noise, more crisp, more texture, depth, . . .) when I use the total bithead via the usb vs. the earphone jack.

cheers
jdm: To enable me to get a clear handle on your posting, let me summarize my undersanding:

1. You already own a Headroom Total Bithead;

2. That when you use it with your pc, attaching it through the pc's usb port rather than the pc's headphone jack (both options possible with the Total Bithead), you experience better sound quality by bypassing the pc's sound card (internal amplifier);

3. That your supposition (rather than experience?) is that when the Total Bithead would be employed in some manner with the N8X0's usb port rather than the N8X0's headphone jack, the sound quality experienced would be similarly better.

But, have you tried it yet (employing perhaps the adaptor offered in the following site: http://www.electronicproductonline.c...oducts_id=1781

or utilizing the methodology described in the above referenced site?

http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi..._using_OS_2008

USB is perfect digital. The crappy amplifier and DAC that are in the internet tablet(and most mp3 players and cell phones) can be bypassed, so you do get exactly the same quality on your n800 that you do when you plug the bithead into your desktop. All the audio processing is done on the bithead itself, all the n800 does is just send it the song in digital format.

The headphone port on the n800 is ****, like it is on most portable devices. A line out port could bypass the crappy built in amp (which is what you would use with the Airhead) but the n800 doesn't have one.

Hooking up an Airhead to the headphone port wont impvrove sound quality at all. It will just make the crappy sound that comes out of it louder. Amps are only meant to be hooked up to line out, and bypass the built in analog amps.

Oh, and iBasso D2 has been released. I want one SO bad. http://ibasso.com/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=38

Last edited by drizek; 2008-03-12 at 06:59.

Originally Posted by drizek View Post
USB is perfect digital. The crappy amplifier and DAC that are in the internet tablet(and most mp3 players and cell phones) can be bypassed, so you do get exactly the same quality on your n800 that you do when you plug the bithead into your desktop. All the audio processing is done on the bithead itself, all the n800 does is just send it the song in digital format.

The headphone port on the n800 is ****, like it is on most portable devices. A line out port could bypass the crappy built in amp (which is what you would use with the Airhead) but the n800 doesn't have one.

Hooking up an Airhead to the headphone port wont impvrove sound quality at all. It will just make the crappy sound that comes out of it louder. Amps are only meant to be hooked up to line out, and bypass the built in analog amps.

Oh, and iBasso D2 has been released. I want one SO bad. http://ibasso.com/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=38
jdm and drizek: Thanks to both of you, all is becoming clearer now for me.

Several further questions:

1. I'm assuming that there is a difference between the signal received from the usb port and the line out, i.e., one is pure digital (usb) and one is still analog (but unmodulated) from the line out.

2. If this is so -- that the two signals are not both pure digital -- would there be a SIGNIFICANT difference in the sound quality between the two coming from the Total Bithead and powering our headphones?

3. What is the effective difference you perceive between the Total Bithead and the iBasso D2 that warrants the increased $50 in price for you?

Thanks to both of you for the illumination you've provided me, and hopefully others reading this thread.

LOL - headfiers are in the house.