Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by pali View Post
freemangordon, again same problem with pulseaudio when thumb version cause crash?
Hardly, thumb-compiled PA is in cssu-thumb for ages. it was glibc that was problematic

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
So, after reading the above success stories I decided that, as a good starting point for 2015, I would install CSSU thumb on my primary device.

I did it yesterday. It was a bit of a mess because HAM didn't actually do anything other than having apt-worker do whatever it thinks it was doing until it stopped. I never got the "Community SSU" icon in the apps menu.

In the end I started installing some of the many packages proposed by apt-get upgrade until I felt confident enough to let apt-get upgrade everything, which it did. Rebooting worked fine, which kinda surpised me, if I'm honest.

I'm at a point where apt-get upgrade doesn't want to do anything (good), but the meta-package mp-fremantle-community-pr is not installed. If I wanted to install it (which I don't), I would get:
busybox-symlinks-procps (wants to remove procps, so no way).
community-ssu-enabler (I guess this is the "icon" referred to above)
hildon-welcome (don't want it)
libcpaboutcssu (what's this?)
libqt4-* (unnecessary packages unless something depends on them)
maemo-optify-runonce (be gone, and stay there forever)
modest-home-applet (don't want it)
pulseaudio-esound-compat (don't want it)
qtm-maemo-metapackage (as long as noone depends on it, I don't want it).

If there's a good reason why any of the above should be installed, I'd like to know.
Other than that, CSSU thumb works fine and it does feel snappier (but this may be just because I let apt-get replace by transitions.ini with the maintainer package).

The only negative effect possibly directly linked to CSSU is that my first alarm this morning stopped after a second or two without me having touched the stop or snooze button. I had experienced this in the past, but not for a long time. I'll keep an eye on it though.

[EDIT] To clarify: it auto-snoozed. Meaning 10 min later my second alarm (which happens to be 10 minutes after the first alarm) popped-up OK and when I closed it the first alarm (the "auto-snoozed" one) popped-up.

Oh, and for the rotation I had to enable the accelerometer module which I had disabled in MCE a long time ago. Now my desktop rotates. I have to learn how to deactivate that

Cheers, and thanks CSSU people.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
So, after reading the above success stories I decided that, as a good starting point for 2015, I would install CSSU thumb on my primary device.
Good man!

I'm at a point where apt-get upgrade doesn't want to do anything (good), but the meta-package mp-fremantle-community-pr is not installed.
You are going to get some kind of troubles if you messed with your preinstalled packages like, for example, in this thread. I would expect a man of your calibre to know how to deal with it

BTW, isn't apt-get upgrade supposed to be discouraged? I must say I've never used in myself on my N900.

If I wanted to install it (which I don't), I would get:
busybox-symlinks-procps (wants to remove procps, so no way).
community-ssu-enabler (I guess this is the "icon" referred to above)
hildon-welcome (don't want it)
libcpaboutcssu (what's this?)
libqt4-* (unnecessary packages unless something depends on them)
maemo-optify-runonce (be gone, and stay there forever)
modest-home-applet (don't want it)
pulseaudio-esound-compat (don't want it)
qtm-maemo-metapackage (as long as noone depends on it, I don't want it).
Fully agree with all of the above. You are right, community-ssu-enabler is the icon and should go away after a successful installation (the package remains though). The libcpaboutcssu package is what displays the CSSU version info in Settings. I don't have them either and can live quite happily without them.

The only negative effect possibly directly linked to CSSU is that my first alarm this morning stopped after a second or two without me having touched the stop or snooze button. I had experienced this in the past, but not for a long time. I'll keep an eye on it though.
Can't say I've ever experienced that one. Missed alarms - yes. Though not for a VERY long time. Alarms that started and stopped/snoozed on their own - never.

Oh, and for the rotation I had to enable the accelerometer module which I had disabled in MCE a long time ago. Now my desktop rotates. I have to learn how to deactivate that
Install status-area-orientationlock-applet. This will add an entry to your system menu. Use it to lock your phone in landscape. Uninstall status-area-orientationlock-applet. Job done.

If you want to lock in portrait, tough luck. But why on earth would you want to do that?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
BTW, isn't apt-get upgrade supposed to be discouraged? I must say I've never used in myself on my N900.
Obviously HAM is "recommended", however, you will find that apt-get dist-upgrade is the command if you want to completely cause chaos.
Now you are on thumb you should have the patched super fast version of HAM.
Stock HAM is known to sit for ages and then sometimes resolve nothing until a second pass.

Install status-area-orientationlock-applet. This will add an entry to your system menu. Use it to lock your phone in landscape. Uninstall status-area-orientationlock-applet. Job done.

If you want to lock in portrait, tough luck. But why on earth would you want to do that?
You can install the applet, only useful if you want to lock and unlock on the fly.
If you want it locked without installing an applet there are gconftools for that.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/Features

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
No, it's apt-get dist-upgrade that is discouraged (and indeed want to do catastrophic mess, even on my device). As for apt-get upgrade, I'm using it all the time without any problems - just, like with EVERYTHING you install, keep and eye on what it want to do before confirming (especially, what it want to remove). Same apply to selective packages installation, so nothing new here.

The apt-get upgrade "discouraging" was another popular FUD myth being spread by infamous joerg at some point - like most other things said by that guy, it wasn't based on any merit nor logic. At least not more than "depreciating" of FAM or apt-get itself.

As for libqt4-* things, I'm not sure if they're not required for some parts of CSSU to work (albeit, in such case, something else than metapackage should depend on it, right?). CSSU people, any comment on why it's part of metapackage? I'm curious, too.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
You are going to get some kind of troubles if you messed with your preinstalled packages like, for example, in this thread. I would expect a man of your calibre to know how to deal with it
Thanks. The vague "some kind of troubles" is what I dislike. But this is most likely a consequence of the all-reaching meta-package. I think I've said enough times that one goal of CSSU could be adding proper dependencies where they are missing, so that we can safely remove the metapackage without the next autoremove wiping the system..

I use apt-get upgrade regularly (not that much gets updated -- this is not sid --, but it's part of my daily routines).

dist-upgrade is discouraged, but there should no reason for this.

As an example, if I were to do dist-upgrade now I would get { debianutils, diffmo, grep-gnu } at the expense of removing my whole system because of debianutils. It's a fvcked up world

Fully agree with all of the above. You are right, community-ssu-enabler is the icon and should go away after a successful installation (the package remains though). The libcpaboutcssu package is what displays the CSSU version info in Settings. I don't have them either and can live quite happily without them.
OK, thanks for the confirmation.

Cool. I actually have to read the CSSU wiki, now from the perspective of an actual user

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
(informative part) + (unneeded personal attack)
Thanks for useful part of your message.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
No, it's apt-get dist-upgrade that is discouraged
That's the one I meant! Sorry about the utter nonsense I splattered above. I've even had my morning coffee so cannot use that as an excuse

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Thanks. The vague "some kind of troubles" is what I dislike. But this is most likely a consequence of the all-reaching meta-package.
Yes, that and the fact that Maemo dependencies are totally messed up. But you know that already. If you've removed certain packages manually, you will need to upgrade to Thumb also manually. Just like you did.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
which os had good battery life? maemo default, maemo thumb or maemo stable? please suggest

seanmcken, any CSSU + undervolting (requires kernel-power, use KP52 or later).

The Following User Says Thank You to FlashInTheNight86 For This Useful Post:

Tags
code size, dinosaurs, fmg ftw!, fmg.da.king, performance, thumb, thumb life