Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Greece
well, i am booting from sd (2gb x150 card) an i have some questions to make. my n800 is laggy while playing videos, both small (10 mb) and big ones (100mb). I tryied the same but booting from internal flash and ia had the same problem. any ideas ? i disabled all running desktop applets but no luck.is there a way to boost performance of both video playback and all other apps?

The Following User Says Thank You to salida For This Useful Post:
There are a few mistakes in your aproach:

- Where you boot from has little to no impact to video playback performance - it may have impact to boot speed and program load times but once the video player app is loaded the cpu is the bottleneck not the disk access speed. BTW your videos are probably always on a sd card so it really doesn't matter where you boot from, the sd card speed will always be the same.
- File size says nothing about VIDEO size. You might have a 10 mb file at a high bitrate and/or resolution - which chokes the tablet, also you might have a 1 gb file at a low resolution which the tablet will play just fine. Also the codec used for the videos has a great impact on performance.
- If you want to do some serious video playback I sugest you install & use MPlayer (search the forum, you'll find it and you can install it from the maemo extras repositories). You'll find that some codecs work better than others - again search this forum. Also transcoding your files to something the tablet likes will do wonders. Again search. Bottom line MPlayer is a lot faster than the built in video player. I find that many of my video files don't require transcoding with mplayer but are not watchable with the built in player.

Another boost in performance would be to flash your tablet to the latest available OS if you are still running the os that came with the new tablet (that would be os2007 and you want to update to os2008 - again searching does wonders )

Hope this helps.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Greece
wowwww.i asked a stupid question and you gave me so many answers. everything you say is right.i use os2008 the latest version.i use mplayer.but n800 strugles to play avi files both with mplayer and internal player

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
See my sig for the official Nokia Video Converter that transcodes videos for optimal playback in the native media player

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

the Nokia converter chokes on my machine around 8% on every single file I try, giving me a "file type not supported" error.

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

Can you file a bug about this (https://bugs.maemo.org) with some more details? If you get that error you should get at the beginning of the encoding process, not in the middle of it. Are you using any 3rd party plugins?

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

3rd party plugins for the video converter application? No.

I start out with a ~700mb file, it gets to about 8% and tells me it's going to take 5 hours+, and then apparently gets frustrated and gives up. It's also a very serious resource hog, making my machine nearly unusable while it's running. Konttori's program works like a charm though.

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

Please file a bug with more details, including as much data as you can provide about your source file. It sounds like a bug, but it's impossible to know without more debug info.

Soon as I get home I'll check out the properties on the file(s) I was trying to convert and submit a bug report.

Though I must admit, it seems unlikely that something about the video I was trying to convert was causing the program to choke up my system, but stranger things have happened I suppose.

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

EDIT: This reply was actually intended to be posted into this topic: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=335047
My bad! Sorry.

I looked into this a little bit with apt-get and managed to solve the problem without having to re-flash the n810.

Here are the commands I ran to do this:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove android-installer
sudo apt-get remove kernel-diablo-flasher
sudo apt-get install kernel-diablo-flasher
flash-and-reboot
The last command will ask you for confirmation and then re-flash your kernel without wiping any of your data, applications or settings.

Disclaimer: Even though this worked for me I can't guarantee it will work for you. Do this at your own risk and read some documentation before doing anything.

Note: If you didn't install android you probably don't need to run the first command. It won't do any harm to run it though so you can run all commands anyway just in case.

Last edited by sisto; 2009-09-28 at 04:35.

Tags
playback, problem, video