Active Topics

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
AAAAaarrrrrgggggg!!!!!
You can see DLNA shares however.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Texrat, I'm not going to leave you high and dry for the difficult feedback you expected ...

Why do you think

Trust = Success - People

?

Is it something that happened to you as a child?

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
AAAAaarrrrrgggggg!!!!!
Since I have discovered ssh_fs I never needed CIFS/NFS.
ssh_fs can be done on both sides of the comm and it's working on N900. It is a bit slower, it's true, but it's so much quicker to get it working than setting up CIFS/NFS that I always favor it.

The Following User Says Thank You to dnastase For This Useful Post:
you should write a novel. you can write about the n900 as if it is a deep emotional lovestory

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Mind if i throw my 2cents into this thread, no real need starting another one.

I got to play some with @brettq's N900 today and found it a bit neat yet not quite my cup of tea.

The UI is great; way too many concepts pulled from WordPy/MaStory's wireframes and at the same time a lot of nice touches.

Screen is too small for such a plump device. I'd loved to have seen it with a larger screen. Feels more like the N810 though when holding my N97 next to it (which felt more like the N800 ironically).

Nice use of fonts and textures on the device. Definitely oriented to landscape use.

Not Likes: Needs to supoprt bluetooth accessories like a keyboard if its going to tout TV-Out; its not a mobile computer until it does.

Nice use of transistions to hide some of the tearing on the homescreen (@brettq had Contra Level one on his, very cool)

Wishes: 5in w/o keyboard and support all NAM 3G UMTS/HSPA speeds and you have me. Seriously, I won't even try to think otherwise (though I'd like the N97's keyboard if you wouldn't mind, tilt and all).

All in all; I see the appeal and really think its a great device for the community. A larger screened one would pretty much natch Nokia's needs and wants for saturating the Maemo lineup with the kind of momentum needed to make sure Maemo 6 is a hit. And yet, the community here will drive the device more than the device itself. Weird how that will be, but Nokia's bet nicely on some really intelligent folks.

To the developers, supporters, and those employed by Nokia working on Maemo in any way, shape, or form - keep up the work you are doing. Personally, I appreciate your efforts.

Last edited by ARJWright; 2009-11-29 at 14:46. Reason: fixed that TV-Out sentence to make more sense

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post

Not Likes: Needs to supoprt bluetooth accessories like a keyboard, and TV-Out; its not a mobile computer until it does.
Huh? o.O

The n900 has TV-Out and you just need to do a edit to the bluetooth config file to activate HID support (for keyboards).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Huh? o.O

The n900 has TV-Out and you just need to do a edit to the bluetooth config file to activate HID support (for keyboards).
Grrr... you've read my posts here long enough to know that if the feature isn't apparent *intuitively,* then it doesn't exist right

Duly noted; will make a note to look for that config file if/when I get an N900 to review.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
AAAAaarrrrrgggggg!!!!!
Talk to the Gnome folks. In early 2008, they killed the bit that let earlier Maemo releases access your Windows shares. Best to work upstream, wot?

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Yesterday when I removed the charger cable from the device, the female USB connector came out with it. Sooo... no more charging for now, and certainly no more connecting to other devices via USB. I am sure I'll be returning the device to the Maemo team soon for investigation.

I must add that prior to this incident, the cord had been yanked violently by a moving chair and the device pulled from a low surface onto a wooden floor. Obviously this severely weakened the solder joints, so I certainly recommend caution (as always) with devices connected to cables of any kind.
That's a good reason to not solder external connectors directly to the mainboard, but have a small flexible cable between the mainboard the connectors. So that yanks, and regular daily insertion and removal the like don't fracture the solder joints.

I am surprised that the USB connector is not partially moulded into the casing.

If a violent yank on the cord can do that so soon after getting the device, and the connector is not firmly held in place by the casing, chances are a few years of daily insertion and removal will fracture the joints on some unfortunates' devices.

I had a similar problem with my old laptop, where I had to solder the power connector back to the motherboard several times after it first broke. Eventually I put a few mm of flexible cable between them, and there was no more problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Grrr... you've read my posts here long enough to know that if the feature isn't apparent *intuitively,* then it doesn't exist right

Duly noted; will make a note to look for that config file if/when I get an N900 to review.
Haha ah.. that's why. But surely the TV Out is intuitive? I thought it was just plug and go.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
leaving rat droppings, the rat is at it again, what am i at?? :p