Notices

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Coruņa, ES
WHAT IS THIS?

Maevies is a python application for Maemo, providing different movie information:
  • Release date
  • Rating
  • Popularity
  • Overview

It also lets you check whether a movie has extra scenes after or during the credits, so you can know in advance if it's worth waiting at the cinema until the very end of the movie.

Besides, it also provides movie schedule information when that's available via Google Movies.

HOW IT WORKS?

This application is composed by a backend -called butaca-server-, which runs as a service, querying different data providers and exposing those results via D-Bus, and a frontend, written in Python.

The schedule information is location-aware: as python-webkit is used to render Google Movies information, Google's service is able to retrieve the location from it.

WHICH SERVICES ARE BEING USED?

Information is retrieved from the Internet from sites like The Movie DataBase or What's After the Credits. I plan to improve the extra scenes retrieval support, as currently What's After the Credits has a rather limited database.

MORE INFO

Maevies is part of the Butaca project, hosted in gitorious, and it's Free Software under the GPLv3 license.

CURRENT STATUS

Right now, Maevies is in alpha state and available in extras-devel (all the known warnings apply). I don't own a device myself, so I'm doing all my testing inside scratchbox. While I hope this app is useful, and quite error-free, I can't guarantee it :P

CONTACT INFO

Butaca's category at my blog
My profile at Twitter
Of course, the garage bugtracker. I'm willing to hear feedback, even if it looks obvious

PICTURES

You can also check Picasa's full gallery

I hope you like it: it's my first maemo app, and I'm really enjoying developing it

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bulfaiter For This Useful Post: