Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I think there are some things I don’t like so much. The resistive screen, the touch side is not as good as it needs to be.
Bu-Bu-Bu-********!

The N900's touchscreen is one of the best in the industry. Why does Nokia continually insist on abandoning large swaths of their existing customer base every time they do an upgrade. Providing both resistive and capacitive options for their customers is precluded neither by cost, technology, nor software requirements.

It's all marketing, and it's unfortunate that Nokia wants to be a follower rather than a leader.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Bu-Bu-Bu-********!

The N900's touchscreen is one of the best in the industry. Why does Nokia continually insist on abandoning large swaths of their existing customer base every time they do an upgrade. Providing both resistive and capacitive options for their customers is precluded neither by cost, technology, nor software requirements.

It's all marketing, and it's unfortunate that Nokia wants to be a follower rather than a leader.
Agreed! From what I've been reading, just because a screen is resistive vs capacitive doesn't mean that Multi-touch cannot be done. On the other hand, a capacitive screen can't be pressure sensitive?

I know myPaint on the N900 is pressure sensitive, and is AWESOME. I'd hate to lose that when going to a newer device.

slaapliedje

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I agree that resistive has its own advantages. But if meego continues to be resistive it cant compete with apple and android. The general public somehow hates resistive

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
It seems that capacitive screens allow you to use harder materials. Users definitely want to have devices in purses and pockets without caring about scratches.

From my personal point of view (as long term tablet user happy with resistive screens) that is an important benefit to be considered.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
It seems that capacitive screens allow you to use harder materials. Users definitely want to have devices in purses and pockets without caring about scratches.

From my personal point of view (as long term tablet user happy with resistive screens) that is an important benefit to be considered.
Ok.. but there are things like screen protectors.. it's really not that hard to obtain them and to apply them... I, ehrm, many people think that having a multitouch resistive screen is a great idea.. there's nothing wrong by having two variants of MeeGo phones.. Capacitive + resistive...

I will say it: capacitive is better because it is what the iphone has.
Also pinch and zoom is the feature that puts the smart in smartphone.

Originally Posted by smoothc View Post
I will say it: capacitive is better because it is what the iphone has.
Also pinch and zoom is the feature that puts the smart in smartphone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nosa101 For This Useful Post:
Capacitive is better because that is what the iphone has: best reason ever

Originally Posted by crisismt View Post
Capacitive is better because that is what the iphone has: best reason ever

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
The general public somehow hates resistive
There's a reason for that.. lets take an example called Touch Book. It's screen is horribly inaccurate and cheap.

I bet there is a bunch more more devices with as bad resistive screen .. no wonder why it's hated.