Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
I made an attempt with the new kp48 image.

These are the problems found:
  • Power consumption problem is still present.
    Initially it seems that p. consumption is normal (discharge rate on idle = 1-3% / hour) but after 1-2 hours of continuos idle the situation changes and becomes "discharge rate on idle greater than 10% / hour"
  • Lcd screen is always powered on.
    Maemo never turns off it, it only shows a black screen (with backlight on, this is evident on a dark room)
  • There is problem with battery's charge measurement.
    I had 50% of reported battery's charge and I have rebooted the phone.
    After reboot reported battery's charge was only 7% and some mins after it was still 7%.
    I doubted that a boot process can really consume over 40% of battery's charge, so I have flashed, by multiboot, a PR1.3 kernel (with no u-boot).
    After reboot the reported battery's charge was 10% (greater than before) and some mins after it has raised to 39%
  • It seems that bootmenu appears even with closed keyboard
Yesterday I published new version which fixed problem with brightness and bootmenu with closed keyborad. Try again.

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
And for battery capacity. If you used BME for value, nobody know how BME calculate it - so it may be good or bad. So for capacity please use calibrated battery and report value from bq27200.sh script (or from bq27x00_battery kernel module)

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Holy ****, Pali! This is better than Multiboot!
I'm going to measure power consumption before/after u-boot when I have time (probably this Saturday).

Can we have this by default in power50?
I'm planing this:

* Create uboot package which contains: uboot with pr1.3 kernel image (will be flashed); mkimage tool; new my tool/script for generating bootmenu.scr (to MyDocs) from /etc/bootmenu.d entries
* Kernel power will be installed by -bootimg package which call my new script which update bootmenu.scr (so no flashing kernel power image, will be loaded by uboot)
* Use same/similar configuration for fanoush bootmenu script (for /sbin/preinit) and script which generate bootmenu.scr

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by pali View Post
* Kernel power will be installed by -bootimg package which call my new script which update bootmenu.scr (so no flashing kernel power image, will be loaded by uboot)
Does this work for you? I'm unable to get kernel-power (or PR1.3) loaded via u-boot (other than via noloboot). It loads it in fine, but then looks to just hang at the start of the boot, before the watchdog eventually powers it off. The MeeGo and Nitdroid kernels work fine though - I've got MeeGo booting fully, but am still working on Nitdroid.

Also, any idea why I'm getting zero mtd devices found when booting the Nitdroid kernel? I see that the N900 u-boot configuration doesn't enable MTD at all, so would this be required for any booted kernels to access the MTD/UBI devices? I was planning on looking at this later today anyway and seeing what the other boards are doing to configure this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 197 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Does this work for you? I'm unable to get kernel-power (or PR1.3) loaded via u-boot (other than via noloboot). It loads it in fine, but then looks to just hang at the start of the boot, before the watchdog eventually powers it off. The MeeGo and Nitdroid kernels work fine though - I've got MeeGo booting fully, but am still working on Nitdroid.

Also, any idea why I'm getting zero mtd devices found when booting the Nitdroid kernel? I see that the N900 u-boot configuration doesn't enable MTD at all, so would this be required for any booted kernels to access the MTD/UBI devices? I was planning on looking at this later today anyway and seeing what the other boards are doing to configure this.
Are the atags passed to the kernel? E.g. is this u-boot command given when sarting the pr1.3 kernel:

setenv atagaddr ${init_atagaddr};

I have the same problem with starting the nitdroid kernel without the atags. This is tricky cause I want to boot nitrdoid without touching the maemo root fs. I created an initramfs for nitroid and put that (and the u-boot nitdroid kernel) on the nitroid partition and can boot this. the whole kernel startup and switch to the nitroid root fs works fine but then the kernel hangs with panics about devices.

When I use above command before starting the nitdroid kernel all is well, but it still uses the maemo rootfs as an initrd.

I'm busy to update u-boot to the melt the nolo atags into a the ones u-boot creates itself(e.g. kernel commandline) and pass that to the kernel to boot...

The Following User Says Thank You to mirakels For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by mirakels View Post
Are the atags passed to the kernel? E.g. is this u-boot command given when sarting the pr1.3 kernel:

setenv atagaddr ${init_atagaddr};
No, I'm trying to boot to an initramfs so only used some of them. I'll check on that though.

Originally Posted by mirakels View Post
I have the same problem with starting the nitdroid kernel without the atags. This is tricky cause I want to boot nitrdoid without touching the maemo root fs. I created an initramfs for nitroid and put that (and the u-boot nitdroid kernel) on the nitroid partition and can boot this. the whole kernel startup and switch to the nitroid root fs works fine but then the kernel hangs with panics about devices.
Nitdroid absolutely requires access to the maemo rootfs. The firmware is loaded from there and it's even used post-boot, so just copying the firmware into the initramfs doesn't work either. My current plan is to use the initramfs to access the rootfs and setup multiboot so it thinks it's already flashed the nitdroid kernel. I can then switch_root into there and allow multiboot to do its stuff and pivot_root into the nitdroid filesystem. Unfortunately this requires access to the rootfs, which I can't do until I can get MTD (and then UBI) accessible.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
As far as I know, to use Nitdroid with Uboot, changes on Nitdroid boot process would be needed.

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
No, I'm trying to boot to an initramfs so only used some of them. I'll check on that though.

Nitdroid absolutely requires access to the maemo rootfs. The firmware is loaded from there and it's even used post-boot, so just copying the firmware into the initramfs doesn't work either. My current plan is to use the initramfs to access the rootfs and setup multiboot so it thinks it's already flashed the nitdroid kernel. I can then switch_root into there and allow multiboot to do its stuff and pivot_root into the nitdroid filesystem. Unfortunately this requires access to the rootfs, which I can't do until I can get MTD (and then UBI) accessible.
In that case your method seems complex.
I now start nitdroid via the maemo rootfs and pivot_root to the nitdroid partition.
So: u-boot loads the uImage from the nitdroid partitition. setup atags, and run bootm.
I adapted /sbin/preinit in maemo to recognise the kernel that is running
(ala multiboot config files) and switch to the nitdroid partiton.
This is pretty straight forward and runs fine.

Thanks though for pointing out about the firmware downloads.
When skipping the maemo/ubi rootfs and using my own initramfs I indeed saw one minute delays for downloading firmwares!

What is that about post-boot? Can you elaborate?

Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
As far as I know, to use Nitdroid with Uboot, changes on Nitdroid boot process would be needed.
I guess that depends on how you use uboot for that. As said above I can
load the uImage noitdroid kernel version from the nitdroi partition using u-boot and then go on like multiboot. That wayat least does not need constant reflashing of kernels!

The Following User Says Thank You to mirakels For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by pali View Post
Yesterday I published new version which fixed problem with brightness and bootmenu with closed keyborad. Try again.
The tests has been executed on your yesterday's image with ms5sum = afe54f54bdc8bed716537f7438bfc4ae

This image reports (on boot) the date "Oct 12 2011 - 20:32:32"

Now I have redownloaded the image from your site and its md5sum has changed.
As date now it reports "Oct 12 2011 - 21:49:29"

So yesterday you have published two images