I'm realtively new to using it as my main phone, but am doing so and like it a lot, despite not yet getting fully to grips with its full potential.

The Following User Says Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I'm still using my N900 (from Dec 2009) as a primary phone. I also have another spare if/when my primary N900 breaks. Currently the spare serves as a nice alarm clock until its time come...

I also bought N9, but it serves as my wifes phone.
N9 is such a bitchphone isnt it. I cant stand it, everything about it is wrong compared to N900. Unfortunately I have only two N900 telephones, of which one has a defect USB port.

So I need to buy a spare N900 yet again.

My N9 will probably just lay around, unused. Probably should just sell it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zeebra For This Useful Post:
This is legend of Nokia. I am still using it.

The Following User Says Thank You to isjacob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 197 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
Yes, still using it. Not really to do phone calls (except as a backup), but more for other computing thingies or games

The Following User Says Thank You to mirakels For This Useful Post:
Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
My use of it is far more important than my main phone. I used it as my main phone until about a year ago, when my company gave me an iphone (which I hate)...But since they let me use it and pay the bill, I dropped my AT&T plan.

Now, I use the iphone as my phone, but I use the N900 as my "brain prosthesis." It is my media player, note taker, book reader, and everything *except* a phone. I can forget my iphone in the morning, but my N900 is generally never out of arms reach.

--vr

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VulcanRidr For This Useful Post:
i do
in fact, despite having a N9 and having gotten a Logitech diNovo Mini for it, it simply doesn't match the integrated HW kbd of the N900.
and with a 64GB µSDXC, the N900 gained another lease as far as storage (& additional swap partitions) are concerned
i'm lucky to have no constrains and be free to keep using the N900 as my primary phone, but noticed recently that it could use some "cleaning up" (mostly removing unused apps, repartitioning /dev/mmcblk1)
should still try to make a set up of thumbs CSSU on the spare one, but right now, primary does what it has to do (answering and making phone calls, texting, e-mailing and whatever browsing is needed on the move)

hoping for a Jolla device with hardware keyboard
based on the Sailfish demos so far, that would be a contender
and possibly a worthy successor of the NOKIA Communicators...
based on Jolla's buzz, a lot of CxO's may just tell their IT guys "Get me one of those!"

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Still glad I have it, though I'm getting more and more tempted by a Galaxy S4 or somesuch (hurry up Tizer, Ubuntu, Jolla, etc. give us more options! <laughs at Windows Phone still>), but I am scared to lose the hw k/board. Sucking up screen space I'd rather read my in-construction message, or what I'm replying to, on, with a keyboard without any feel to it, just puts me right off. Despite how thin and large they can make them (if you can still fit them alongside your face for calls).

Everyone who's lost their usb and can't/won't try to fix it:
Check out/Install BackupMenu (and read what it can do)!

(my usb came out, got the socket still, not brave enough to try fixing it in case I short something and brick it; coping with multiple spare batteries, chargers at home/work, and a deft hand to switch them without losing the date/time - builtin battery/capacitor/whatever it is for keeping them during a switch is dead as a dodo).

Lost my first N900 (ended up stolen though had a tiny screencrack), now on a 2nd-hand one for ~2.5yrs

Some comments on earlier posts...

(reduced the quoting to minimal sections, way back from p3),.
Originally Posted by martinwozenilek View Post
...Quad Core CPUs. Well, maybe you need them when you're using a java virtual machine on your smartphone, like android does.
So ironic that ARM processors like we have, were originally designed to run Java directly (maybe as co-processors); now we have big bloaty software vm's compiling Java with all sorts of optimisation/JiT techniques on top of another vm (Linux) on top of the hardware to be able to run the same instructions...

Oh, and martinwozenilek, we do have a proper touch-screen! One you can still work when its frickin cold and you need gloves, without buying special super-expensive gloves or a special stylus!

Yes, it still annoys me a fair bit (besides the battery-switching I need to do) - now quite old browser/plugins, still mostly works but sites everywhere complain (could prob. fix that with one of the user-agent tools); the earlier mention of the lock-slider not always appearing first time on the on-button press; and occasionally missing calls when it's under load (still! even after the last 'fix' from Nokia); slow gps (better when connecting to my external one via BT - can android do that easily?). But I'm still proud to be an owner (since Feb 2010) and mine is cossetted in a v.cheap plastic (but long-lasting enough that I enjoy a new bright colour only every few months) case and a nice (martin-fields) screen protector.

Have been wondering if to switch to cssu from latest Nokia build, kinda needs a reflash of something - too many broken gui apps though command-line alternatives for things exist (yay).. Was too shy for cssu before, maybe now I'll give it a shot.

Last edited by jgbreezer; 2013-05-29 at 19:45. Reason: reread it, needs to be clearer in couple places

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jgbreezer For This Useful Post:
Hi guys..

It is still mine main phone..

The Following User Says Thank You to voste For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Meran, Italy
Yes, also for me our beloved N900 is my main phone, and it was able to send my notebooks in the attic... There are a lot good apps that android cannot have.

One week ago my brother went to my home for a visit and he wanted to see the F1 Montecarlo race: there was no live broadcast on TV, only a live streaming on internet: with his own Samsung Galaxy 3 he wasn't able to see anything, but for me it was a no-brainer to see the race with my N900, and with its TV output we could enjoy the race with large screen... It's only an example...

pkz

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pkz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
I wonder why he couldn't. Was it using flash or some obscure streaming protocol? No MHL->HDMI cable etc. available?

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900