Hi all,

I just got my n800 and i'm loving it. Gizmo is god sent! I connect to wifi fine but i'm trying to connect using my samsung p310 as a bluetooth modem. So far i am able to pair the device just fine.. woo hoo.. but i get the error "remote server error" when it tries to connect to the net. My samsung shows an "E" icon (assuming edge because it edge capable & i have the $30 data plan). Can anyone help me figure this thing out.

Thanks in advanced

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
I believe when I had this problem, I needed to change the name of the access point from something like "internet2.voicestream.com" to "wap.voicestream.com". Then I had no problem.

You might need some proxy settings as well. Check out these settings (from another recent post):

Access point name: wap.voicestream.com
Dial-up number: *99#
User name: leave blank
Password: leave blank

Click the [advanced] and check "Use Proxy"
HTTP Proxy: 216.155.165.50
Port: 8080
HTTPS Proxy: 216.155.165.50
Port: 8080

Good luck.

-F

The Following User Says Thank You to frethop For This Useful Post:
I think ive tried those settings... This is frustrating, impossible considering selling my p310 and getting back a nokia...

ANYone else have a suggestion?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
If you are paying 30$/month you should be using internet2.voicestream.com, no proxy

Do the web services work o the phone?

Yeah web service works as far as i can tell... I just added the data for the n800.. I had tzones before and was able to browse so its hard to say..

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ England and USA
I seem to have the same problem with the N800 and T-Mobile (USA), but in my case the phone is an HP HW-6915. I also pay about $30/month for internet service.

The T-Mobile internet connection works fine when used natively on the HP HW-6915 (web browsing, email, ssh etc) but when I try to use the smartphone as a modem for the more advanced N800 the blue tooth connection appears to work correctly but the internet does not.

The HP notifies me of the blue tooth connection and asks permission to continue. But after making the connection the N800 gives up with an unhelpful message "Internet connection failed. try again?"

I have wasted over 3 hours on the phone with T-Mobile customer support being walked through the process over and over ... eventually they gave up. They apologized and told me that it should work fine.

But it doesn't.

I have tried setting the access point to both "internet2.voicestream.com" and to "wap.voicestream.com" and a hundred other combinations. Nothing works.

It seems odd that the N800 would have a menu option for connecting to T-Mobile/USA even though the option doesnt work.

Any ideas??? This was the main reason for buying the n800 in the first place.

Frustrated,

Steve

I had this exact same problem, and could not get it resolved through Nokia’s tutorials, or by using any of T-Mobile’s OTA updates. I now have stumbled across a solution, purely by trial and error, and would like to share what finally worked for me. The following assumes that you have already successfully paired your N800 with your mobile phone.

In the N800’s Connectivity Control Panel, click Connections, then New [or edit your existing connection to match], name the connection “T-Mobile Internet” , and set the connection type as “Data Call”. Click next. Set the dial-up number as “*99#”, leaving all other fields on this screen blank. Click next. On the next screen click advanced. On the advanced screen click the Other tab, and in the Supplementary AT Commands field, enter “at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet3.voicestream.com”. Click OK. Click Finish.
Back at the top menu bar, click the globe icon, then select connection, and choose the connection you have just created. At this point the globe icon will begin blinking a phone icon right in front of it, and after a few moments you should see “Connected to T-Mobile Internet” in a pop-up window.

Hope this helps!

whoops, posted to the wrong thread. sorry.

Hi all - this is my first post and I'm glad this forum exists, because I am ready to smash my forehead through this table. Perhaps you can help.

I have a new N800 and T-mobile mobile phone service and am trying to figure out how to use my mobile phone as a bluetooth modem (I have a Motorola RAZR v3). I'm having the same basic problem as the original poster, and I understand the solution, but what I cannot figure out is what service plan, or service options, I should have subscribed through T-mobile USA to make the solution work for me. Specifically, I am pretty sure I need a data plan (instead of simply a voice plan), but T-mobile's website is spectacularly unhelpful. Right now, I have a myFaves voice plan, which does not include any data options. Last night I was up until 2am trying to figure out what my T-mobile data options are. There's a $19.99/month Hotspot option, but that seems wrong. There's also the T-mobileWeb, which seems closer, but suggests that you can only access certain sites directly on the mobile phone, which is not what I'm trying to achieve.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I admit I'm not particularly tech-savvy, but I can follow directions. Thanks.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I live near Detroit and have T-mobile phone service with 5.99 Tzone plan

I set my access point to:

wap.voicestream.com

Proxy:

and dial string:

*99#

If you have paid for tmobile internet plan, then use internet2 instead of wap and do not use a proxy.

If you have paid or VPN services through tmobile, then use internet3 and no proxy

Good luck, its all working for me on my razr

Obviously you need to pair the phone first from the control panel