Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
I did. Android got it's start in the US. The iPhone, iPad. We'll buy good, innovative products. Even be willing early adopters.
Did you buy any Nokia N series in the mid 2000, or a communicator earlier? Those products ruled the smartphone world up untill a couple of months ago. I guess the answer is no, no you didn't purchase one of those revolutionary (for it's time) products, I guess you didn't even know they existed. If you actually did purchase one, then we're somewhat OK. But it is off the point concerning the N9, here and now. Early adopter of Android and iPhone, but not willing to support the N9 due to a few hundred bucks, only tells me you don't really care all that much about open source and Linux and Qt, it is all words, no action. Qt is continuing on S40 by the way, as well as on PC and many other places.

Microsoft will obviously do all the marketing for Nokia, as well as Samsung, HTC LG and SE. Nokia has already lost, Microsoft cannot lose this time, this is it for them, or they will be gone from the mobile OS scene for many many years. Still the N9 will be sold in a much larger market than Nokia-WP is, and it will be reasonable priced. The prices are already dropping from the early high prices we have seen until now. Even if WP should, in total, reach 20-30% market share in the US, the number of WP-Nokia sold will be dwarfed compared to the N9 in absolute numbers.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
...not willing to support the N9 due to a few hundred bucks, only tells me you don't really care all that much about open source and Linux and Qt, it is all words, no action.
Gimme a break. $750 (the rumored price) or so for a N9 is not chump change to me. Especially for a phone that physically really doesn't suit my needs. I already gave significant support for a open source mobile OS when I bought the N900. I'll gladly do more support if and when a product is offered I'd really like to own. The N9 isn't it.

Even if WP should, in total, reach 20-30% market share in the US, the number of WP-Nokia sold will be dwarfed compared to the N9 in absolute numbers.
Now that's what I call optimism!
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think that this may be long-term good news. It is becoming clearer that Nokia is completely abandoning meego and the N9, etc. That gives the green light to other manufacturers to enter a no-competition arena. The pathway to the future has been marked. Now someone has to follow it.

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Now that's what I call optimism!
OK, I give you a brake. But why should this be optimistic? The US has about 300 million inhabitants. 95% have a phone. If WP obtain a market share of 20%, which is a very optimistic estimate of Q4 2012, then this is only about 57 million units (in total). Let's be optimistic again, and say Nokia will sell 40% of those units. Then we have 23 million units sold. 23 million units sold by Q4 2012 is very optimistic. In Europe it sell a bit less, since it will only go to a selected few countries from the start, lets say 10 million units.

So 33 million units in total world wide by Q4 2012 is a somewhat believable but (overly) optimistic estimate for Nokia-WP.

The N9 will be sold throughout Europe, it will be sold in Brasil and Argentina, Russia, Malaysia, Hong Kong etc etc - and - China. That is at least a population of 2 billion human beings. For the N9 to beat this overly optimistic estimate, it only needs a market share of 1.7 percent. In most of those countries there are more than one phone per citicen.

Way too simplified this, but what is more optimistic? Harmattan is far from dead.

How much does your average consumer base their phone purchase on future versions anyways? I realize I'm not exactly your run of the mill consumer, but I still bought a brand new N900 earlier this year.

Originally Posted by dDoS View Post
How much does your average consumer base their phone purchase on future versions anyways? I realize I'm not exactly your run of the mill consumer, but I still bought a brand new N900 earlier this year.
LOL An excellent point. It is actually related to fanboyism. A fanboy assume that everyone think as he does. That is, he "support" and cheer "his" product/technology/whatever in the hope that it will become/remain market leader world wide, because said product/technology/whatever is "superior in all respects" (if it's not superior in all respects, it's superior in everything that counts).

World wide maybe 2% are fanboys, in the US the number is 74%

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
99 percent are fanboys in us. But that will soon change when they/you can't afford to buy the phones apple produce.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
99 percent are fanboys in us. But that will soon change when they/you can't afford to buy the phones apple produce.
Not true, they will take a second mortgage, creditcard or a loan of some kind just to buy those devices. I swear I have seen many jobless people with the newest Apple handsets. But I know some reasonable people who own those, too

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blipnl For This Useful Post:
The N9 will be sold throughout Europe, it will be sold in Brasil and Argentina, Russia, Malaysia, Hong Kong etc etc - and - China. That is at least a population of 2 billion human beings. For the N9 to beat this overly optimistic estimate, it only needs a market share of 1.7 percent. In most of those countries there are more than one phone per citicen.

Way too simplified this, but what is more optimistic? Harmattan is far from dead.
JUST STOP.

No, really, just stop.

For Nokia to sell even a million of these, they would have to produce a million of them. If you believe they will produce a million units, you are, sir, the only one person in the world who does so.

Nokia isn't selling this phone, they're hiding it. You claim it's being sold throughout Europe. Not throughout Western Europe, it isn't.

Amazon sells throughout Europe. Let's compare.
There's an Amazon.co.uk - UK is missing from the Availability list.
There's an Amazon.fr - France is missing from the Availability list.
There's an Amazon.it - Italy is missing from the Availability list.
There's an Amazon.de - Germany is missing from the Availability list.

Okay, so in no EU market large enough to be mentioned on Amazon.eu. How about the rest of the world?

There's an Amazon.com - USA is missing from the Availability list.
There's an Amazon.ca - Canada is missing from the Availability list.

HIT: Oh, Amazon.cn might one day sell the N9. If you're comfortable ordering in Chinese.

There are 196 countries in the world, including South Sudan and Taiwan. The N9 Availability list holds 24 countries.

There's no North America, there's hardly any Western Europe, there's no India, there's no Africa, they're not going to put it out for sale here in my puny little northern country, and guess what...

They aren't calling it an iPhone killer. There's your hint right there. There's not even a viral marketing campaign going on.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
World wide maybe 2% are fanboys, in the US the number is 74%
Where the **** did you come up with this nonsense?

I've seen some idiotic banter from you, however this is a new level of ignorance. You know too little to talk so much.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, buysomethinelse, facepalm(tm), galactus, goodbye nokia, just stop, n9 rox