Active Topics

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
Peter, the Ovi Maps program, is that going to cost money to use like wayfinder did?
Haven't read most of this thread yet (kind of busy during launch) but OVI Maps works without exta payment. Maps and route planning plus info on places is free of charge.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
basically, they are the largest of a breed of rapid fire geek/hipster tech/lifestyle news/blog,
And tons of sarcasm and sarcastic humor.

It's true that they're not journalists (in the classic and disciplined sense). They're bloggers. Comparing it to "pub talk" is pretty accurate -- it's gadget oriented pub talk, in a blog. Nothing more, nothing less.

Welcome to the blogosphere, Espoo8888.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Haven't read most of this thread yet (kind of busy during launch) but OVI Maps works without exta payment. Maps and route planning plus info on places is free of charge.
Hey peter thanks for the information. By route planning do you mean on the device or on the desktop with ovi maps?
And does this route planning include voice instructions?

Thanks

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
love their products, hate their control freak policies?
I wonder if their control policies result in such easy user interface....

love their products, hate their control freak policies?
Close, but not completely so. I don't love all of their products (ex: the iPhone and iPod Touch, though I do respect what things they bring to the table). And it's not just their control freak policies ... but I don't know that a single statement will sum it up any better than what you said.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Espoo888 View Post
The N900 was launched on Thursday so the weekend excuse is just lame...

Chill dude. I'm American and this is the first I'm hearing about your problems with American coverage. Like dude said, it's the week-end man... but, if you're that bugged about it I guess we could call a special meeting tonight and straighten everybody out.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-08-30 at 18:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I wonder if their control policies result in such easy user interface....
Their draconian control freak policies are, basically, an extension of their absolutely freakish focus on making the UI "perfect", yeah. Intolerance for UI flaws becomes intolerance for design inconsistency becomes intolerance for design diversity becomes intolerance for use diversity becomes intolerance for anything that isn't "the Apple way", whether it's software add-ons or use cases, or use methods, that don't fit their intent.

The first two (intolerance for design flaws and design inconsistency) are good. They just don't know where to stop :-}

(or, they do know where to stop, but they know that any cult requires that type of black and white "this is who are, and aren't" definition)

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Chill dude. I'm American and this is the first I'm hearing about your problems with American coverage. Like dude said, it's the week-end man... but, if you're that bugged about it I guess we could call a special meeting tonight and straighten everybody out.
Dude, the cabal doesn't meet on Sundays. We're too busy oppressing the 3rd world to meet on Sundays. Now, don't say too much, or they'll revoke our membership cards.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sevla View Post
Notice there's no MMS support.. Hopefully that will be added with an software update later..
Yes, having MMS on a feature phone is important, but the N900 isn't a feature phone with limited resources. . We prioritized our resources to have brilliant multitasking of the frequent use cases. You can share photos easily to the Internet or by email. Implementing MMS would have meant dragging the ancient WAP 1.2.1 standard used for the push notificatiom to a modern computer OS in times when our target audience wants to share high quality images to Flickr, Facebook, Picasa, Ovi and so on. MMS receipt would maybe gotten us far enough, so others can send her photo to you, but we decided to put our R&D into other areas. I hope consumers will forgive us for the time being.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Hey peter thanks for the information. By route planning do you mean on the device or on the desktop with ovi maps?
And does this route planning include voice instructions?

Thanks
route planning on the device. Please note that turn-by-turn navigation is a different story and I'm not sure when that is in the Maps version for Maemo 5. Gotta ask our colleagues in Berlin...

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:

Tags
fremantle, maemo, n900