Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I really appreciate the current engagement on this proposal, and especially the 2 new solutions added. Please vote and comment on the actual Brainstorm items, thanks!

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Indeed. And I do apologise for being an insensitive clot. And I must say I myself owe a lot to firefox automated spell check.

Anyway, this greeting business is more than just a bit tricky. Earlier, I used to be huge linux advocate. However, I quit after having had enough of all the midnight support request calls "How do I...". Well, you get the picture.

The way I see it, with other platforms, the answer to questions like this is usually "You don't", while with linux it tends to be url to some forum post with 10 pages of tech jargon. So I guess what we need is to combine some of the above ideas, to create a jargon-free section of the forum (or maybe some other, independent medium?) with suitable volunteers. People who can offer help in some understandable format.

Now, I might want to contribute something to the brainstorm, but as a poor helpless n00b myself I find the place quite intimidating ...and why does it need separate login *sigh*

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suurorca For This Useful Post:
Thanks Suurorca.

Note that my original solution can actually be very passive. Simply including the ID (Greeter, Guide, what-have-you) followed by 1 or 3 helpful routing links in a signature offers an extremely easy way of directing people. A greeter need not even post that often, just enough to show up in threads here and there... and the more greeters the better.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Suurorca View Post
Now, I might want to contribute something to the brainstorm, but as a poor helpless n00b myself I find the place quite intimidating ...and why does it need separate login *sigh*
If you are ready to post to the brainstorm, you're waay ahead of me. The place scares me!

I do think a 'jargon-free' area might be a good plan. And I still believe that looking after it might be a good way that people like me (who speak latin, theology-speak and moderate healthcare jargon but not a single word of c++) can contribute something to the community. Isn't part of the point of open source that it can use whatever skills people have? Or I could come round to everyone's house and make coffee while you code?

That would certainly be an improvement, yes. I'm just musing if we ought to go a step farther..

I don't actually agree with making any aspect of this site "jargon free" or even adding entire sections dedicated to casual users-- BUT I do agree we can significantly improve the routing of visitors to sections or even alternative sites more conducive to their needs-- hence this Brainstorm proposal.

I realize creating another account is a pain (there is a project in work for single sign on) but I urge everyone to make the effort and contribute to Brainstorm items directly rather than limiting involvement to discussions like this one.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Well, I do not code, but I'd appreciate that cup of coffee

Contributing as a non-coder really doesn't feel too easy. Another barrier we want to tacle?

Contributing as a non-coder really doesn't feel too easy. Another barrier we want to tacle?
There's no real barrier. Consider that aside from coding, ANY user can step up to testing, idea generation/contribution, organizational improvements, etc.

Technically, perhaps. Reality, however is slightly different. Communities that exist for some specific purpose are usually dominated by certain type of people. The social barrier can appear to be impassable.

Technically, perhaps. Reality, however is slightly different. Communities that exist for some specific purpose are usually dominated by certain type of people. The social barrier can appear to be impassable.
Understood, but then, that is natural and normal and tends to filter accordingly.

Personally I have no problem at all with this site being power-user dominated. Nothing prevents other sites from springing up to fill additional niches. Our challenge here, again, is to route people appropriately and engage those who feel led to further their involvement beyond casual use.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: