Active Topics

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2009 @ turku, finland
i have 4 same numbers with my multisim option with saunalahti operator

The Following User Says Thank You to uusitalo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by uusitalo View Post
i have 4 same numbers with my multisim option with saunalahti operator
Well you are very lucky.

I called the AT&T store and told them the car thing and they said they would give me a sim card for my vehicle.

But I am curious - what is the big deal with the sim card cloning? Having 2 sim cards with the same number, why is that illegal???

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
Well you are very lucky.

I called the AT&T store and told them the car thing and they said they would give me a sim card for my vehicle.

But I am curious - what is the big deal with the sim card cloning? Having 2 sim cards with the same number, why is that illegal???
I don't know.
http://www.mobilityminded.com/5568/c...e-phone-number

I suppose it would be illegal to clone SIM cards without operator's permission because then one phone number could be used by ten different people (and would they be able to phone each other by calling the shared number, I wonder?), and it would be chaos.

When you get second SIM card, it's most likely different (with another IMSI?), just using the same phone number. So there is no chaos for cellular towers.

Besides, if SIM cloning would be legal, then the same equipment could be used to modify contents of a SIM card, and it's surely illegal.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
It's technicly possible in all GSM networks. It's called multi-sim. GSM standard has suppported this for years now. (IIRC) the technical maxium is one account shared between 5 SIM's, altough local operators here in Finland offer only sharing between 2-4 devices. You also have to pay couple of euros extra every month.

By the way, it also works with data, not just phone calls.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
That's true, but on the other hand it doesn't work with SMS messages. Well, of course you can send SMS messages from both phones, but only one of them receives them. (At least it has been like these for some years, I'm not totally sure if that's true with all the operators).

I keep running into this when some customers complain they're not receiving SMS:s from our service. It's often the case that the messages just went to the other phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to thnninen For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
that happens when instead of multisim the carrier uses a hidden number on the second sim and call forwarding when phone off. By the way its a viable solution if you don't care about sms.
________
VAPORIZERS INFO

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Yeah, I think cloning a SIM card clones its serial number too (IMEI or whatever), so to the operator both device appears as one, whereas with operator sanctioned method (multisim, etc) they will issue 2 different sim cards for you and route your phone numbers to them.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
It's technically possible in all GSM networks. It's called multi-sim. GSM standard has supported this for years now. (IIRC) the technical maximum is one account shared between 5 SIM's, although local operators here in Finland offer only sharing between 2-4 devices. You also have to pay couple of euros extra every month.

I have stumbled upon this article:
http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Jan2004/6335.htm

But where is it said that multi-sim is part of GSM standard?

I know, it would be great to have several phones with identical SIM cards and history synchronisation.

It's just curious whether these SIM cards are completely identical, slightly different or completely-different-and-using-network-operator's-workaround-to-share-one-phone-number?