Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
Here's some more important questions:

Is it Arm or x86?
what is the hardware design? who doing the CAD and electrical schematics for the mainboard and SoC stack?
Who's doing the hardware adaptation for whatever product you want to put Maemo on?
If you're getting drivers from the h/w vendor, will they guarantee support and updates (since it's now out of your hands?) and at what cost? Or will they drop any and/or all support when THEY move to another SoC/chipset/GPU...
Who's going to work on and bugfix all the forked stuff that can't easily be replaced without major re-working of the OS?
who's going to do the UI adaptation for the screen resolution?
who providing the updates for coreOS.
who's going to set up and host the repo/
who's going to maintain, log and fix bugs?
who's going to get existing apps modified to run on the new screen resolution?
What IDE are you going to use for dev work?
Who will provide software builds for emulation?

shall I go on?

...better off waiting for Vivaldi tab and then work to replace plasma active with Hildon
Nope. So you should never start building something?
Most of those things can be done buy many people. But very few companies are willing to sell you a good cpu if you don't buy large enough.

And how much longer is the wait for the Vivaldi?
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
Nope. So you should never start building something?
Most of those things can be done buy many people. But very few companies are willing to sell you a good cpu if you don't buy large enough.

And how much longer is the wait for the Vivaldi?
Well, if you're talking about CPU, then clearly you've already developed your own board layout and specification, so on that basis, most of my initial questions are already answered, including who will provision hardware drivers and adaptation?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but a little bit of pragamtic realism is required when talking about building a device from scratch, based on someone else's UX.

Blowing off my comments by suggesting "Most of those things can be done buy many people" fails to identify just who, and how much work is involved and thus takes us back to square one.

As for how long the wait is for Vivaldi, I don't know, but I can say it'll be here a lot sooner that any device being talked about on this thread, and it'll have (has) proper hardware drivers.

Of course if you don't want to wait, you could try the pengpod.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
On desktop pc's and to a lesser extent it is possible to buy all the parts, body,cpu, motherboard etc end then build your own device and then put on OS on it of your own choosing (within certain limits).

Is something like that not possible for mobile devices?
And what if you base it on a x86 cpu instead of a ARM?

I am not saying it is easy or even possible. Just want to know. Maybe use soemthing like a Raspberry pi type device?
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
On desktop pc's and to a lesser extent it is possible to buy all the parts, body,cpu, motherboard etc end then build your own device and then put on OS on it of your own choosing (within certain limits).

I am not saying it is easy or even possible. Just want to know. Maybe use soemthing like a Raspberry pi type device?
No,

1. you have to have BIG volumes to get the chips.
2. No ARM embedded GFX driver is open, many only is Android GFX drivers.

The closest ARM CPU you get today to play with is beaglebone black:

http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone Black

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
1. Buy nexus 7

2. Compile hildon-desktop for ubuntu-nexus7 (real one, not touch) or mer.

3. recompile the apps from extras you want for ubuntu or mer

4. Profit.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia

tablets and mobile devices are designed for portability and, not too different to most net/ultra books being shipped today, this means minimising space by soldering essential components onto themain board (CPU/GPU,Ram, flash Storage etc.)

This makes it virtually impossible to buy individual components without economy of scale via a proven manufacturing capability.
Large CPU manufacturers that use Arm technology, for example, place very stringent demands on manufacturers to reveal technical and design information about the sort of products they will be putting their hardware into (to ensure quality and performance and brand consistency).

This is part of the reason why so few "quality" open source tablet type devices have been made/sold without being to a "preordained/determined" spec as set by the manufacturer.

If you've followed the scene, you will find that most people who want to design/develop an open source device, start out with a high spec concept and then end up with whatever low-mid spec system they were able to actually get their software working on.

I genuinely believe that building on an existing base is the best way to go. the Iconia w500 can run Mer and thus technically there is no issue with running Hildon UI on top of it (or any UI for that matter. With Vivaldi so close to market, why go through all the heartache (and delays) that they have, just to create a parallel piece of hardware, when others have done it for you?

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
So would it be possible with a x86 based chip?
Something like the Mbook
or Viliv N5?

Last edited by The Wizard of Huz; 2013-05-31 at 21:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Haven't really read the whole thread (sorry 'bout that, but I've been forum whoring all day! I swear this is the last one...), but I thought I'd throw in against all the naysayers. Look at the Amiga community. There are seriously people in that community that make all kinds of random hardware bits. Several make Playstation 1/2 controller adapters that plug into the Amiga. There is a single guy who runs Individual Computers that makes everything from CPU 'accelerator' boards to 'flicker fixers' (anyone who knows anything about the Amiga and even some older computers knows that they use old display technology that isn't exactly friendly with most modern screens).

And yes, there are even the makers of the Minimig, which is an FPGA based Amiga 500. So they would be a good group to look at when seeing what some people can accomplish as far as providing hardware or contacts of people to get a hold of for manufacturing actual product.

In fact, a couple of guys have recreated the PCB for the Amiga 1000 and have a parts list so you can build a replacement motherboard!

If there were indeed a kickstarter, money talks as the saying goes.

My only thing at this point really is; Why Maemo? To me the most awesome thing about it was that it was Debian based, and worked well on a small touch screen. What we need is Hildon ported to GTK3, and... oh wait, that's practically Gnome-Shell! It was inspired by Maemo after all. Let's just get a tablet device that runs Gnome-Shell, improve the few things it's lacking (get a proper gtk port of Maliit) and whip up a Debian Wheezy based setup. Though I think we'd want the base, but Gnome 3.8 (there are a lot of improvements since 3.4, which is what Wheezy has).

Then just polish up Debian (really easy to do) get GTK3 to be more touch friendly (multitouch, etc) and we'd be set. Then we'd have a real competitor to Ubuntu, which I hate

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 248 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Haven't really read the whole thread (sorry 'bout that, but I've been forum whoring all day! I swear this is the last one...), but I thought I'd throw in against all the naysayers. Look at the Amiga community. There are seriously people in that community that make all kinds of random hardware bits. Several make Playstation 1/2 controller adapters that plug into the Amiga. There is a single guy who runs Individual Computers that makes everything from CPU 'accelerator' boards to 'flicker fixers' (anyone who knows anything about the Amiga and even some older computers knows that they use old display technology that isn't exactly friendly with most modern screens).

And yes, there are even the makers of the Minimig, which is an FPGA based Amiga 500. So they would be a good group to look at when seeing what some people can accomplish as far as providing hardware or contacts of people to get a hold of for manufacturing actual product.

In fact, a couple of guys have recreated the PCB for the Amiga 1000 and have a parts list so you can build a replacement motherboard!

If there were indeed a kickstarter, money talks as the saying goes.

My only thing at this point really is; Why Maemo? To me the most awesome thing about it was that it was Debian based, and worked well on a small touch screen. What we need is Hildon ported to GTK3, and... oh wait, that's practically Gnome-Shell! It was inspired by Maemo after all. Let's just get a tablet device that runs Gnome-Shell, improve the few things it's lacking (get a proper gtk port of Maliit) and whip up a Debian Wheezy based setup. Though I think we'd want the base, but Gnome 3.8 (there are a lot of improvements since 3.4, which is what Wheezy has).

Then just polish up Debian (really easy to do) get GTK3 to be more touch friendly (multitouch, etc) and we'd be set. Then we'd have a real competitor to Ubuntu, which I hate

slaapliedje

Couldn't agree with you more!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ariadeno For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
So would it be possible with a x86 based chip?
Something like the Mbook
or Viliv N5?
these look awesome!
Shame they are 3+ years old

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:

Tags
face palm, n900 successor, nokia n900 heir, op_on_drugs