Notices

Looks like we could easily compile this for maemo

http://www.tuxradar.com/brainparty

-----
cb00
http://www.freemaemohelp.com

The Following User Says Thank You to cb00 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
good idea
maybe we could ask the developer to include the one game with accelerometer support..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Brain Party relies on SDL, SDL Mixer, SDL TTF, SDL Image, SDL GFX and OpenGL.
OpenGL will take a little work, but this sounds like a good candidate for a port.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Hey!

That sounds cool! I'm the developer, and I'd be happy to release the extra accelerometer game, but it's currently in Objective C - it would take 10 minutes or so for someone to convert it to C++.

Two questions:

- Why would OpenGL take some work? I haven't coded for Maemo before, but the SDK seems to say that OpenGL ES is supported just fine. And there's QGLWidget, if Qt is acceptable.

- There's quite a difference in screen resolutions: Brain Party is 320x480, whereas the N900 is 480x800 - you could fit Brain Party about 2.5 times onto the N900's screen! Is there a standard solution for that? If not, a simple fix might be to set the GL viewport to be 320x480 (essentially making it upscale everything 1.5x, giving 480x720), then add a fixed 80-pixel bar across the bottom with the Brain Party logo. It'd be a bit blurry, mind you.

I might ask Nokia to send me a Maemo to try out for development; it would certainly make it easier for me to help you if you have trouble porting.

Paul

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to hudzilla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by hudzilla View Post
- Why would OpenGL take some work? I haven't coded for Maemo before, but the SDK seems to say that OpenGL ES is supported just fine. And there's QGLWidget, if Qt is acceptable.
Hi Paul!
Thanks for joining our community!

We thought first, that your game requires OpenGL, not OpenGL ES. Because the N900 supports OpenGL ES only. There are so many cool open source games out there but many require OpenGL. Now you understand it better, why Flandry said it would be some work.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Hey!

Yes, it's OpenGL ES - and the GL parts are almost totally encapsulated, so any changes that need to be made should take only a few minutes.

Paul

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hudzilla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by hudzilla View Post
a simple fix might be to set the GL viewport to be 320x480 (essentially making it upscale everything 1.5x, giving 480x720), then add a fixed 80-pixel bar across the bottom with the Brain Party logo. It'd be a bit blurry, mind you.
The top bar on Maemo 5 is 56 pixels high, so that could (should) take up some of the space.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Hi Paul, welcome to maemo.org. Thanks for joining us. I think you'll find a really good reception for your game here. You are welcome to distribute the accelerometer game through the maemo.org nonfree repo as shareware or make the whole thing available in the free repo if you don't mind releasing the source for that game: whichever you prefer.

If it's already using OpenGL ES then that's awesome. If you need help with anything maemo-specific let me know.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
The top bar on Maemo 5 is 56 pixels high, so that could (should) take up some of the space.
That takes space off the short side (the 480), whereas the game is a bit too short on the long side (the 800). The game should most likely be run in fullscreen "portrait" mode (even if the portrait is simply faked by setting the viewport accordingly).

Originally Posted by thp View Post
That takes space off the short side (the 480), whereas the game is a bit too short on the long side (the 800). The game should most likely be run in fullscreen "portrait" mode (even if the portrait is simply faked by setting the viewport accordingly).
the bar can als be on the short side.
for example the phone app is using it.

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2010-04-01 at 14:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post: