Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Accra-Ghana
Am very much happy with my nokia n9 but a new firmware update will rather be much welcomed. So i decided to make more enquiries about any possible update that might hit the device,but didnt find any conviencing answers. So i interacted with @jollamobile ,the maemo developers team and asked them about their new Sailfish Os that will be unvielled soon. I just wanted to know whether we (the N9 users) might recieve that new OS as an update , and the answer the gave me was a NO!!!. Could u believe that? .So am wondering whether that is truely the real deal ,or we might maybe see it on the N9 someday. What do you think guys????

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Jolla said a long time ago that they won't support the N9 in anyway. However, some devs MIGHT port the OS to the N9 if possible. If it's not possible, then.. Go get a Jolla phone We all wished for an update. But it will be ported hopefully. Just like NITDroid That's as far as I understood. But don't take my words fully, because this is all said from a MeeGo page.
Cheers

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AMD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
This is more of a legal question than a technical one. Since the N9 is the product of a different company, Jolla can not support it.

However, Nemo Mobile (the open source base that they are using) works quite fine on both N9, N950, and N900.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
No is the right answer. Just to make a simple example. It's not like apple support iOS for nokia phones. why should jolla support nokia?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Jolla made it clear on the very first day that they are not here in anyway to support N9.

I mean a small company that is already stretched to the max should waste their time on a another companies phone and retain the software so that it would be compatible on N9 would be all sort of crazy.

Last edited by tissot; 2012-11-18 at 15:35.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Like asking Ford to make spares for your Nissan, really.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Like asking Ford to make spares for your Nissan, really.
That isn't a very good analogy, but still, why not? If Ford's parts are better, why wouldn't a Nissan owner be allowed to use them? Yah, Nissan might revoke the warranty because of using third party parts, but Ford might cover that as well.

Better analogy: how would you feel if you're not allowed to use third-party ink cartridges for your printer?

Best analogy: how would you feel if you're not allowed to install another OS on your own pc?

Jolla not supporting the N9 is one thing. But I'd even pay for it! They might not get their hands on the necessary binary blobs for the drivers (ugh, damn those chipmakers! I've bought the damn thing, didn't I?) but citing legal reasons sounds weird to me. And for the sake of interoperability quite a lot is allowed in the EU.

Personally I consider tablets, phones, routers and even tv's as "general purpose computing devices", and would probably welcome some ruling that this kind of devices may not hinder the owner to install and use software on them as he sees fit. Yeah there are some gray areas and more issues with that, but it should be the rule of thumb.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Jolla OS is made out of 3 main components. Mer core, Nemo software/application layer and Jolla UI.

Mer core and Nemo mobile already work on N9.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Here's another analogy... How would you as the majority investor of a company you are backing to design an OS and Hardware feel if all of a sudden they decided to support someone else's platform?

I would sooner let them cut all ties with nokia (bureaucracy/in fighting etc) and concentrate on doing what they do best.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
@OP: Why is that even a (on) question? Are we like (the increasingly stupid) "ask /." here? If yes, then i'd like to introduce "Betteridge's Law of Headlines", so: "NO".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
harmattantrolls, n9isforkids, nosailfishforu, yessailfishforu