Notices

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by thaibill View Post
My comment has nothings to do with esthetics. My ancient eyes have trouble discerning the red text.
Even more of a reason to submit enhancement request. I took the liberty and
did it for you.

Perhaps a consensus among aarddict users should be solicited.
I think It's highly unlikely consensus can be reached about something like color Probably will have to be customizable.

aarddict is totally amazing. Great work.
Thank you

itkach, really good app. Some observations:

- The possible link colors should include those that can be distinguished by color-blind readers.
- Some links, such as Amdahl's Law, don't load.
- Category summary pages seem to be missing. Are they not in the original wikipedia dump? For instance, on the actual wikipedia site, the Lamport's Distributed Mutual Exclusion Algorithm article has a Categories section at the bottom which includes the Distributed Algorithms category page, which in turn points to the Concurrent Algorithms category page. These category pages would really be useful in aarddict.
- I appreciate the fact that in idle mode, aarddict does not burn up cpu cycles, thus saving battery time.

Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
@Ray: I think that distributing such massive files via mirrors would be prohibitively expensive for a small open-source project, particularly if they start getting popular. BitTorrent was made for this kind of thing.
Ok, that makes sense, of course:-)
I downloaded the myTorrent client, and let it work for about 7 or 8 hours, and now the big three-parts Wikipedia is on my N810, too.
Luckily it's split into parts smaller than 4GB, so I didn't have to reformat the card.

@itkach: Great work! That's one of the NIT applications I've been waiting for:-)

(One of the other great apps is OM Weather IMHO)

top application-worth the hassle of downloading

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Manchester
The category: pages (along with all other namespaced pages) were deliberately stripped out. This was because most of them are not useful (eg help pages), and some of them are huge and caused problems during compiling. since a few other compile bugs have been fixed, it may be possible to re-enable the category pages, i'll look in to it.

we can also look in to the missing articles. please let us know if there are any more you find. if you could file an issue at https://bitbucket.org/itkach/aardtools/issues/ that would make sure it does not get forgotten.

Is there anyone wanting non english wikipedias?

The Following User Says Thank You to ssam For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fik View Post
I just noted that all of them use bzip2 compression. There is maybe a better solution using LZMA or more specifically Lzma Utils ( new version beeing named xz)
Your proposal is submitted as http://bitbucket.org/itkach/aardtools/issue/1

I can confirm the Amdahl's Law bug. Do you want issues to be logged to the Google Code site, or should all issue reports be redirected into the bit bucket?

The Following User Says Thank You to nobodysbusiness For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I can confirm the Amdahl's Law bug. Do you want issues to be logged to the Google Code site, or should all issue reports be redirected into the bit bucket?
Issue tracker at Google Code is closed. Please submit this to http://bitbucket.org/itkach/aardtools/issues since this is most likely a conversion problem (looks like the article have been discarded during compilation).

ssam: regarding putting wikipedia on 770 - keep in mind that aarddict only runs on OS2008, so for 770 this may only be possible with the Hacker Edition (I never tried it though).

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ssam View Post
Is there anyone wanting non english wikipedias?
Yes, Dutch please.