Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Some people said that Moblin is not a Maemo competitor, but seems this will change soon.
Inventec shown today at Computex, a 'Mediaphone' very similar to our tablets. According to the resources below, there will be a demonstration of 3 Moblin Smartphones tomorrow.

http://www.midmoves.com/2009/06/mr-b...-a-mediaphone/

http://www.midmoves.com/2009/06/prev...s-at-computex/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
it's not really a surprise: i remember an intel representative saying that the smartphone market is where they're heading.

it would be cool. the most recent moblin ui seems much more appealing than what we've seen of maemo 5 so far.

battery life will decide the battle for me if both plattforms gain momentum.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post

it would be cool. the most recent moblin ui seems much more appealing than what we've seen of maemo 5 so far.
Totally agree, although isn't optimized for finger use yet.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Interesting how they are so different from Nokia -- waving demo units around a year before they're going to be released. Granted, Nokia told us most of the features that will be available on the Maemo 5 lead device eight months ago, in September 2008, but they've only shown some development prototypes at the end of May 2009.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Nice screen size on that one device...

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Interesting how they are so different from Nokia -- waving demo units around a year before they're going to be released. Granted, Nokia told us most of the features that will be available on the Maemo 5 lead device eight months ago, in September 2008, but they've only shown some development prototypes at the end of May 2009.
Note, intel only sells the internals, they just want to give the ones that produce complete devices ideas...

Its just like TI, nvidia or qualcomm showing of what their products can do, and hope the third parties pick their product as the internals for the next device...

So basically, intel is telling companies that they now can do smartphones and similar, while using the same tools that they have used for developing computer products. Or in other words, develop on pc, run on phone...

Last edited by tso; 2009-06-03 at 22:34.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tso View Post
Note, intel only sells the internals, they just want to give the ones that produce complete devices ideas...
The key is that someone at the chip behemoth is backing 1) Moblin and 2) compact tablet format. Together.

With their clout behind it, something can be expected to happen in the Moblin tablet space.

The Moblin project is still totally Intel-centric, but its steering was handed over to the Linux Foundation in April and an ARM port is probably only a matter of time, esp. considering the number of ARM licensees vying for a piece of the ultraportable market.

I very rarely come across any news or even rumours in the media about Maemo or Mer...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
No coincidence that oFono, sponsored by Nokia and Intel, is announced, followed by a leak of a Nokia linux phone and an announcement of a Moblin linux phone...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Considering the bazillion partnerships and consortiums announced by megacorporations in the last year or two, I can't escape the feeling that on quite a few of these it's the old principle at work - keep your friends close, but keep your enemies even closer.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Totally agree, although isn't optimized for finger use yet.
... which is the whole point. that's why it's so much nicer and elegant.

(of course this means that they could develop a maemoesque, grandmother-friendly version of the overall system UI for small phone screens. but they'd still have both then, and i'd assume you could hack your moblin-phone to use the netbook-UI. maemo cannot do this.)

Tags
mediaphone, mid, moblin