Active Topics

Hello Forum!

As a long time Palm user (from IIIc on) I am trying to switch to NIT N800 with Garnet VM. Me beloved Agendus works and runs pretty fast, but any alarm crashes the Garnet VM. The same does happen in any other Palm app that tries to sound an alarm.

Is there any known solution?

Regards

Carsten

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Grand Rapids, MI
Originally Posted by ZehHa View Post
The same does happen in any other Palm app that tries to sound an alarm.
Yup. Even the "built in" Calendar app.

Is there any known solution?
Nope.

The Garnet VM is a cute toy only. Don't rely on it for anything important.

Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
The Garnet VM is a cute toy only. Don't rely on it for anything important.
Well. I'm not quite sure. Right now, I'm not considering GVM being a toy.

It's quite a stable environment, that allows to use the old PalmOS apps (with your old device's IDs and HotSync name, if necessary) with BT and WLAN connectivity and a huge amount af mass storage space, limited just by the size of your two separate SD cards. And with the option to switch to new linux apps, if (or as soon as) available.

In my professional life, i do not 100% rely on the sound alarm of my devices. So this really is just a minor unconvenience to me. I do rely on professional eBooks and PIM administration including hierachical ToDos. And privately I'm enjoying trip management for motorbike tours, guided by PathAway or recently by Garmin Mobile XT on PalmOS.

Most of this can be done with GVM on NIT. BT GPS navigation works on maemo, eventually in GVM as well. I still have to try.

Last edited by ZehHa; 2009-05-07 at 22:08.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Yup. Even the "built in" Calendar app.
Works for me.

Just tried creating a new appointment, returned to Launcher. Alarms sound (I can even hear the classical beep-beep in all its glory); it does not matter if GVM is the foreground application or not.

It's quite a stable environment [...] with BT and WLAN connectivity
Unfortunately it does not have bluetooth.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Unfortunately it does not have bluetooth.
If I create a BT connection via mobile phone, the connection can be used from within GVM on my device without any problem. Sending items from within a palm app does not work. Workarund: saving/exporting on card, BT transfer with maemo.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Grand Rapids, MI
It's quite a stable environment
That's not been my experience. Having an alarm go off in a PalmOS app causing the VM to not only crash, but become corrupted is not my definition of a "stable environment."

Not that it doesn't work for some apps. I've successfully run some of my old Palm games in it without problem - until the VM corrupts itself and needs to be restored.

That's why I say to not rely on the VM for anything important. The VM can corrupt itself, rendering it useless until you get it restored.

"Quite stable", should have been read as: "compared to PalmOS", and "taking into consideration we still are playing around with a beta version".

Soft resets due to DBcache deprivation is a very common experience in PalmOS (which is none-beta after all these years). Sometimes you lose data base integrity in this case (happened to me with a SmartListToGo data base), sometimes you lose your preferences, sometimes you get strange behaviour due to corruption of some system resources. Warm reset, or even hard reset may become necessary. This is PalmOS. NVFS made your RAM non volatile, but lead to the big big DBcache memory management problem, which until now is not solved and most likely never will get solved.

GVM has a volatile RAM and loses any RAM content just as any other non-PDA computer system. Be prepared, keep your data on SD card, keep a backup copy (or a couple of backup copys) of your system on SD card, and always consider Muphy's law. SD card access on NIT has formula 1 speed, compared to PalmOS 50cc city scooter velocity. A complete backup is done in some seconds, compared to some minutes on my LifeDrive. "Getting restored" is done in a wink.

In just those few weeks I am using my NIT GVM, it almost has become a complete replacement for my LifeDrive. All the important apps are usable, and the SD card handling is a delight. If the next version is able to solve the alarm sound deficit, it will be the complete PalmOS replacement in my case.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
If I create a BT connection via mobile phone, the connection can be used from within GVM on my device without any problem.
Yes, but don't expect BT GPS support anytime soon.

Did you manage to get alarms working?

Tags
garnet, palm