Are You sure, that Your Y-cable is ok? when I connect device through mine *without* using 3th plug, it act just like normal USB cable. in fact, I don't see any logical reasons, why it shouldn't.

In fact, even *with* 3th plug connected to charger, USB connection should be achievable (unless You cross data pins, but why would You on Y-Cable, that's meant for hostmode?).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Are You sure, that Your Y-cable is ok? when I connect device through mine *without* using 3th plug, it act just like normal USB cable. in fact, I don't see any logical reasons, why it shouldn't.

In fact, even *with* 3th plug connected to charger, USB connection should be achievable (unless You cross data pins, but why would You on Y-Cable, that's meant for hostmode?).

/Estel
If I understand correctly y-cables have the main branch with voltage and data and the auxiliary branch with voltage only. Without the third plug its fine, I meant while using the third plug i.e. charging and about to do hostmode.
I am trying to hack scripts together so the hostmode happens automagically I edited one of my posts in order to explain the solution I found, can anyone answer the other one, can I know if a cable is plugged into the N900 even though it is plugged into no host due to the shorting of maybe the 4th and 5th pin or something similar?? Thank you

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
if automatic hostmode was possible, I had shipped it 16 months ago

I:E: N900 has no way to auto-detect a Y-cable or a peripheral with normal cable and F-F-adapter (there's a more theoretical option to detect ID-to-GND short as you find it on A-plugs which don't fit into N900 B-receptacle. This needs pullup on ID though, which by default isn't enabled)
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-05-22 at 18:26.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
if automatic hostmode was possible, I had shipped it 16 months ago

I:E: N900 has no way to auto-detect a Y-cable or a peripheral with normal cable and F-F-adapter (there's a more theoretical option to detect ID-to-GND short as you find it on A-plugs which don't fit into N900 B-receptacle. This needs pullup on ID though, which by default isn't enabled)
/j
I have got it detecting the y-cable using the edited method on my post on the previous page, works for me all the time, now modifying the hostmode script but blue_led or whatever his name is so it can detect the speed of the device connected by stopping the charging, doing its vboost magic and then starting the charging again
Good to know the theoretical approach is not accessible (well, bad really, but you understand what I mean). I guess then I will only be able to automatically host while using y-cable then, the other hosting will require a button... shame

Last edited by pablocrossa; 2012-05-22 at 19:38.

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
you find it on A-plugs which don't fit into N900 B-receptacle. This needs pullup on ID though, which by default isn't enabled)
/j
It's quite easy to pill plug in a way, that it plugs into N900 nicely, and ID pin is detected as it should. Making proper detection of speed without ages-long connection (due to enabling as disabling vboost and speed 3 times) is harder to achieve, I think.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Hallo Everyone!
I am would like to use nokia n900, as a base for a usb-serial device which needs to be powered at 5V. ftdi driver on windows works good, while on linux on usb attach kernel recognises /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1. Is there any chance and way i can make it workable in a stable way on nokia n900?

The Following User Says Thank You to antaniz For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Can this be adapted for N9?
Current Maemo Community Council member

I tried connecting a N9 as a client to a N900 running h-e-n. It didn't work. I got the message "unable to connect, no filesystem available". Is it possible to connect the N9 to the N900 like that?

I'll test connecting other flash drives to the N900 once I get my hands on some.

Originally Posted by nokix View Post
I tried connecting a N9 as a client to a N900 running h-e-n. It didn't work. I got the message "unable to connect, no filesystem available". Is it possible to connect the N9 to the N900 like that?

I'll test connecting other flash drives to the N900 once I get my hands on some.
I can connect a flash drive to my N900 and read/write files. So it's the N9 that can't connect afterall. Has anyone tried connecting the N9 to the N900 as a client? Maybe h-e-n is missing a driver/module?

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by nokix View Post
I can connect a flash drive to my N900 and read/write files. So it's the N9 that can't connect afterall. Has anyone tried connecting the N9 to the N900 as a client? Maybe h-e-n is missing a driver/module?
Maybe N9 starts charging and triggers overcurrent protection of N900

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, detection, h-e-n, hostmode, speed, usb host