Active Topics

No release date so far, and it'll depend on region too.
But they've already placed the price at $1900... I'm guessing this will certainly decrease when available since the Airs are more competitive, nevertheless the Surface PRO adding more competition.

Probably first in China/Taiwan, then USA, then slowly other countries.
I'm hoping to get it from USA (cheapest) and import it here, hopefully dodging the import tax (Australia) and saving myself ~$200 (lenovo's got international warranty).

PS When Chuck Norris Thanks You, it counts as 4 billion thanks, lmao

edit: got some scoop, price change and date.
Priced at $1,199... believable. Date: second half of 2012, so likely the end of Q3. http://officialreleasedate.com/2012/...f-of-2012-736/

I'm flattered

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Will be a hard game. Windows will no doubt have a way into mobile phones with hardware like this. Shiny...

WHERE is the nokia tablet...

I wonder if we ever see a full featured clean linux tablet or phone again. IOS and windows will split the market. Where will android fit in.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I wonder what will come first surface pro, tizen tablet or Jolla tablet.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
I am still trying to relate to the question posed by the OP.

It is coming clear that the selling price of the Nexus 7 is either at or below cost of manufacture.

So how is competition supposed to thrive?

At the very least, any alternative will have to have a much better specification for the same price. But even then customers may prefer to have the brand Google Nexus.

So in order to attract sales the price will have to be even lower.

But can manufacturers afford to go cheaper? Rather than commit commercial suicide perhaps many will simply decide not to compete and withdraw from the Nexus end of the market. In which case our choice of a quality 7" tablet is down to one.

IMHO discussion of Surface, Jolla and Tizen is off topic in this thread.

It's pretty much certain that WinRT and Win8 tablets will be released first.
I mean Tizen has no interest in a tablet, only for feature-phones (replacing Bada).
And Jolla hasn't produced anything yet, it takes time to push out a (decent) smart-product.
....so Yeah, pretty Off-Topic, even for this thread.

Those reports that the Nexus7 is sold at a loss are incorrect.
Firstly, the Nvidia sells the cheapest SoC between it and Qualcomm, TI, etc.

It's using an underpowered Tegra3, and with all the internals would come to a collective cost of $20.
I'm not sure about battery, it should be cheap.
The screen is what costs alot, I'm guessing about $60 per panel (I'm overestimating it).
Labour costs I'm not sure, really depends on who/where, I'd say its cheap (<$15).
The casing is pretty cheap, but Google decided to use quality materials and machining which would cost a lot more, I couldn't really give a figure.

With slightly worse quality, the Nexus7 could cost around or below $100 per unit.
Because of Google's specification (casing, labour, battery, etc etc) I could see it costing more, but I doubt it would exceed $150.

So for the $199 unit, Google's essentially making $50 or slightly more... and that's a very small gain.
In business, your product should bring you back 100% and more of your investment, its a rule of thumb.

What I'm trying to dig at here is that other OEMs can EASILY compete against the Nexus7 on all fronts:
- Give acceptable casing and battery capacity
- Choose a decent SoC, OC'd Exynos 4210 performs as well as quadcores
- Provide the missing features (fullsized SD slot, microHDMI, microUSB-HOST)
- Don't molest the software (provide source, and if possible the drivers = instant upgrade to JellyBean and KeyLimePie)

I bought a 16GB Elf2 for $125 (with shipping), and remember they're making a profit from that!

I'm flattered

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
I just red that windows server 2012 is going to use metroUI too. MS really wants to go out of business lol but Im sure you can administer your server through surface

Those reports that the Nexus7 is sold at a loss are incorrect.
If you say so, just that there are so many such reports including statements from Asus itself. Only Asus really knows for sure and they may not be inclined to be forthcoming on the exact figures.

I hope you are right and manufacturers are able to compete and make a profit. I get fed up with the zero sum strategies that are adopted as a substitute for good business acumen.

Because of Google's specification (casing, labour, battery, etc etc) I could see it costing more, but I doubt it would exceed $150.
@Kangal
Spot on assessment. Kudos.
http://www.slashgear.com/google-nexu...ppli-11238067/

Wtf... Kangal working on slashgear or they are reading this Exellent thread. Either way. Scary!

nexus 7 is for kids. Microsoft surface is for professionals!

Just check this...
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/11...wn-the-ninjas/

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-07-12 at 14:21.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Wtf... Kangal working on slashgear or they are reading this Exellent thread. Either way. Scary!

nexus 7 is for kids. Microsoft surface is for professionals!

Just check this...
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/11...wn-the-ninjas/
Interesting article, pretty much confirms my assesment.
In fact after the first batch(es) (10-90K units), I'd say the second batch would cost less considering how these factories operate.

So that $151.75 is probably going to drop down another $3-$4

Just wanted to point out that a Nexus7 with 16GB NAND, microSD slot, microHDMI and microUSB-HOST can go from materials to product in under $160... and most consumers are willing to go the $250 mark, so it is possible to make a decent tablet offering and make a good profit.

Just imagine what Apple's raking in with the more mass-scale produced iPad, with larger retail price!

I'm flattered

Tags
just_a_fad, success!, ubertablet, vaporware, who gives a sht