Posts: 304 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Apeldoorn area, Netherlands
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Multitasking to me is to do things faster, easier and with more visibility. This enables multitasking capabilities n900 could only dream of
Wow that is such ********. The multitasking that the N900 has right now is so much better then having a window split screen.

Android still does not have real multitasking. 2 windows split screen is still just 2 apps. All of the other apps are still in a sleep state. I haven't seen any android device play a video in the background while copying text from a website directly to a conversation you are having.

You can't have more visibility then we have right now on the n900, you can switch betweens apps within a second.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Wreck View Post
Wow that is such ********. The multitasking that the N900 has right now is so much better then having. a window split screen.

Android still does not have real multitasking. 2 windows split screen is still just 2 apps. All of the other apps are still in a sleep state. I haven't seen any android device play a video in the background while copying text from a website directly to a conversation you are having.

You can't have more visibility then we have right now on the n900, you can switch betweens apps within a second.
It's funny that you mention that, because I am watching a video right now in a floating window (dice player) while composing this message. Cutting and pasting from another process would be trivial. Since processes are still in memory, it also task switches instantly. I am on a Nexus7.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Split screen (or multi-pane) rules. I have been dreaming of this feature on tablets for years. I am glad that it is finally being demonstrated by a major OEM. It is sure to get picked up in a future version of android.

Incidentally, it is also possible to do the floating video window with the free (and awesome) DICE Player. I tend not to use the feature too often as it requires constant movement of the window to prevent obstruction of the background app, but it works well enough.
what are you talking about, windowed aplications are available on tablets for decades...

Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
what are you talking about, windowed aplications are available on tablets for decades...
Indeed, and DICE allows for the same thing.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Indeed, and DICE allows for the same thing.
so how is it finally on tablets when its available for ages now?(at least to people inteligent enouh not to use mobile phone OS on not so mobile devices...)

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-11-25 at 16:18.

Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
so how is it finally on tablets when its available for ages now?(at least to people inteligent enouh not to use mobile phone OS on not so mobile devices...)
It's a feature that has been available in Android since the first version (IIRC), though is not often used by app developers. Any other questions?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I think it's available on surface RT also. Great feature, what ingredients for this for gnote.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I think it's available on surface RT also. Great feature, what ingredients for this for gnote.
Yes, split screen is quite fabulous, and a great way to avoid the somewhat messy management of re-sizeable floating-windows on-
screen when displaying content.

I like the way that surface implements the feature for opening apps, but dislike a few aspects of the implementation. First, the proportions of the split screen are built-in: so for example, the main window is 3/4 of the screen, and the split is 1/4 (please note, these are not actual dimensions). Second, when interacting with the smaller screen, it automatically expands. This would be annoying if you just needed a small sliver for a calculator, but wanted to keep the larger screen open for reference. It would also be nice to have the option to split the screen again vertically (eg. 3-pane arrangement).

I'm not sure if, via some setting, the above can be changed, or if the implementation has been updated since I last saw it.

I generally like the way that Samsung has implemented the feature, though think that it can still be improved upon. Still, either implementation are welcome as the underlying hardware running these devices becomes more and more powerful, and the app selection continues to mature!

I have just upgraded my Note to 4.12 TouchWizz ROM.

Firstly, somethings look faster (but actually aren't).
Google Now is a great feature which doesn't cater to me.
Camera improved but it, and Gallery App are prone to FC.
I liked the UI I had on AOKP (status bar, notifications, lockscreen, recents, 360' rotation, hold back to kill).

But the TW UI is "close enough" but falls short.

I will ultimately stick with TW ROM because Camera is good (AOSP is terrible) and I have the Modded Split Screen feature.

I'm flattered