Notices

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
So impressed with how quickly you acted on that suggestion!

Really appreciate being able to follow the development process on here too. Proper open source development in action

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leipzig/Germany
Thanks for the really fast implementation, and I can report the autoactivation works nicely on my Jolla C

http://www.seiichiro0185.org

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to seiichiro0185 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Thank you very much! As for speed, its all relative. It took more than a month to get from proposal at OpenRepos, discussion over here, and implementation. Meanwhile, a launcher has been made by ferlanero clearly demonstrating the need for better user experience. I could have done it probably faster, but was busy with the client side of things. Part of my work on clients is not merged yet, but all is submitted as PRs and, hopefully, would be soon reviewed/polished/rewritten/published. In meanwhile, I can work on some other aspects.

Looks like the whole approach was also acceptable for QA of the Harbour. So, the server is available via store with the full functionality. I would like to thank Jolla's QA team for approving the server.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Don't make yourself smaller than you are.
Your work and your working speed is phenomenal!
Tankx for all your efforts!!!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Don't make yourself smaller than you are.
Your work and your working speed is phenomenal!
exactly, @rinigus! And most importantly: where is actually the donate button?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bomo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bomo View Post
exactly, @rinigus! And most importantly: where is actually the donate button?
not implemented

Folks, but did you realize that Jolla Harbour approved an application that can act as a service, if requested by user? In particular, the socket activation required systemd service that is installed on users request in its home and enabled using user's permissions.

Note that, if you read Harbour FAQ, such approach seems to be in accordance with them. No special files are installed in the system, there are not scripts in RPM spec file, and so on.

Maybe its a way to provide such applications in future as well?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Big thanks for the daemon mode !

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
not implemented

Folks, but did you realize that Jolla Harbour approved an application that can act as a service, if requested by user? In particular, the socket activation required systemd service that is installed on users request in its home and enabled using user's permissions.
Yeah - I was also kinda surprised they accepted it as they are generally kinda edgy on less radical stuff. So certainly a big achievement!

Note that, if you read Harbour FAQ, such approach seems to be in accordance with them. No special files are installed in the system, there are not scripts in RPM spec file, and so on.
Yeah - as nothing should be started until connections start coming in, it really should be fine. This is also heavily used in "normal" Linux distros such as Fedora, so the mechanism is pretty well tested and robust by now.

Maybe its a way to provide such applications in future as well?
Yeah - I can imagine quite a few other cases where a network accessible daemon could be used to provide functionality to various client applications. Maybe for example a IM daemon the various IM apps could use as a backend as long as it's still not possible (IIRC) to really contribute improvements to the built-in messaging system (which is quite nice, but missing fat to many features and seem to be long term neglected). Or a socket activated speech to text/text to speech service apps can use, etc.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Hi, I haven't followed a lot the progress lately, but I see that everything is a LOT more user friendly! Very nice!
Unfortunately, I am not able to download maps anymore since a few releases (at least beginning of August). Here is the error I get:

Originally Posted by OSMScout
203 - Error transferring http://data.modrana.org/osm_scout_se...ary.sqlite.bz2 - server replied: Not Found
Similar message for other countries (I tried Mexico). I'm with the default profile, version 1.1.0
I've seen that the correct path is geocoder-nlp-10, but do you know why I tries to reach this URL? If you don't I will just reinstall, I'm just reporting this in case there is something you'd want to fix. Thanks!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sthocs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sthocs View Post
Hi, I haven't followed a lot the progress lately, but I see that everything is a LOT more user friendly! Very nice!
Unfortunately, I am not able to download maps anymore since a few releases (at least beginning of August). Here is the error I get:

Similar message for other countries (I tried Mexico). I'm with the default profile, version 1.1.0
I've seen that the correct path is geocoder-nlp-10, but do you know why I tries to reach this URL? If you don't I will just reinstall, I'm just reporting this in case there is something you'd want to fix. Thanks!
Yes, URL is changing when I upload newer maps. So, all you have to do when you get such message, is to click on

"Check for updates"

in Map Manager. Then your list of URLs will be updated, the countries that you have would be proposed for an update, and you would be able to get new ones as well.

I should make this solution easily reachable, opened an issue with it. Thank you for reporting!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:

Tags
geocoder, linux, offline maps, router, sailfish os, tiles