I did the mod(sans diode and just the one wire), and it does charge the deive, but when i also have a card inserted, i get a constant usb connected/not connected (constantly switching back and forth). if i remove the mmc, it just charges with no error.
Any ideas?

EDIT: Well, i took out the MMC and reinserted, and now it seems to be working fine. I guess it was not fully inserted when i put it back in after install... very weird. But it now works 100%. can read it from the device or from windows while charging. Thanks again!

EDIT2: I let the device charge all day from almost dead (well, 6+ hours) and it was still charging. It does show full, but i guess the amperage from the USB port is not enough to fully charge LION. I will continue to experiment, but definately a worth while mod.

Last edited by phatman81; 2007-09-21 at 00:08.

Originally Posted by ZapWizard View Post
The reason Nokia probably didn't do this from the beginning is because technically the charger is rated at 900mA of output, and a USB port isn't spec'ed to put out that much current. That said, I doubt it needs that much current in reality. I did this same mod to my cell phone years ago.

Yes, if you do plug-in 5volts to the charger jack, AND a usb cable the power will pass out of the USB connector.
I know that this thread is about 13 years old... :-p but I found it so simple but helpful that my first thought was "duh" I shoulda thunk of that myself.

But then I wondered whether this mod might not really charge the battery, and only provide power while the USB port is connected?

If you (or anyone) are still around and monitoring this thread and have an answer... well, first a big WOW! and then a huuge Thank.You!