Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard

First and second place in the smartphone OS wars is a foregone conclusion with Android and iOS (respectively) strongly entrenched, but the battle for third place is now full of intrigue. BlackBerry and Microsoft have each stepped up their games with their respective BB10 and WP8 OS's of late, but so far it's Redmond prevailing, having jumped from fifth place last quarter to third with a 3.2 percent share over BlackBerry's 2.9 percent. While those two are fighting for third place scraps, Android kicked up its smartphone OS dominance with 75 percent of the global market, which is a huge jump from last year, while iOS fell back slightly to a 17.3 percent share. Between them, those titans owned 92.3 percent of the pie, but it's arguably Windows Phone that has raised its game the most, with a senior IDC analyst claiming that this latest ranking "validates the direction taken by Microsoft and key partner Nokia."
(s)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
IDC rankings need to be taken and averaged against the other big houses.

Q2 and Q3 will be where the real interesting stuff is, as Z10 sales only really captured the last 2 weeks of Q1 and although the same has happened for the Q10 in Q2, sales for the Q10 have apparently exceeded the Z10, so you can expect a fairly big hike from BBRY

will also be interesting to see how the 928 (read: 920 for Verizon) and the 925 (read: 920 with a new body) sell over these next 2 quarters, not to mention the new 501

Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
IDC rankings need to be taken and averaged against the other big houses.

Q2 and Q3 will be where the real interesting stuff is, as Z10 sales only really captured the last 2 weeks of Q1 and although the same has happened for the Q10 in Q2, sales for the Q10 have apparently exceeded the Z10, so you can expect a fairly big hike from BBRY

will also be interesting to see how the 928 (read: 920 for Verizon) and the 925 (read: 920 with a new body) sell over these next 2 quarters, not to mention the new 501
As far as Windows Phone goes the sales of Lumia 520, 720 will be the main phones to watch.

Positions certainly haven't been decided yet.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Cape Town,South Africa
I have ordered a Lumia 720 as I am due for an upgrade. That will push up the Window figures a tad... As a die hard Nokia fan I just couldn't change to Android or IOS.
Lets hope that the 720 will be a worthy successor to my beloved N9...

Originally Posted by Loepoes View Post
I have ordered a Lumia 720 as I am due for an upgrade. That will push up the Window figures a tad... As a die hard Nokia fan I just couldn't change to Android or IOS.
Lets hope that the 720 will be a worthy successor to my beloved N9...
I have exactly the same idea. I also need Nokia Maps/Drive. The Lumias look quite nice and smooth. Despite being Windows.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
As far as Windows Phone goes the sales of Lumia 520, 720 will be the main phones to watch.

Positions certainly haven't been decided yet.
Here in India, people are buying the low end WP8 Lumias like never before... Though it doesn't come anywhere near the sales % of Samsung phones. I personally have ordered a couple of Lumia 520s online (not for me, btw ). On ebay.in, L520 is being sold in huge volumes and another shopping site Flipkart have rated L520 as the second best-selling phone behind Samsung Duos. No wonder why Elop said he is pleased with the Lumia sales in India

Last edited by ranbaxy; 2013-05-16 at 14:27.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Cape Town,South Africa
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I have exactly the same idea. I also need Nokia Maps/Drive. The Lumias look quite nice and smooth. Despite being Windows.
Nokia Maps/Drive was the main reason for me too as I'm living in a big city outside my home country.
Main reason for choosing the 720 was the bigger battery and the Gorilla 2 screen. Also find the 920 too big for my liking as 4.3 inch screen is big enough for me...

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Lumia 620 is good enough for avg joe

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I'm sure Windows will grow bigger than blackberry. Black cant compete with nokia/microsoft worldwide, they are pretty big in some areas. But over all its tiny. Its expected.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Yeah nokia is everywhere pretty much
other componys might linger around but nokia will outbound them because of the predominance it has