I wish to compile some plugins from Purple Plugin Pack for use in my N900, however all Makefiles in the package must be configured first and I don't know how to configure it in MADDE

I've tried "./configure", "mad ./configure", "mad configure" but none of them work
FYI I've successfully compiled a pidgin plugin once, so I know it's not purple lib issue since I got purple-dev on MADDE
I just want to know how to run 'configure' in MADDE

Thanks a lot

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
As far as I know configure doesn't work in madde.
You have to use scratchbox instead.

Nicolai

The Following User Says Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
I've never used scratchbox before, I (no longer) even have Linux installed on my computer, but by using scratchbox is that as simple as type configure and it would run as expected?
How about if I just run it directly on my N900, can I just do that? (it won't break anything right?)

Thanks anyway for your kind reply

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sorocaba, Brasil
Originally Posted by figaro View Post
I wish to compile some plugins from Purple Plugin Pack for use in my N900, however all Makefiles in the package must be configured first and I don't know how to configure it in MADDE

I've tried "./configure", "mad ./configure", "mad configure" but none of them work
FYI I've successfully compiled a pidgin plugin once, so I know it's not purple lib issue since I got purple-dev on MADDE
I just want to know how to run 'configure' in MADDE

Thanks a lot
What about:

mad ./configure --host armv7l

I expect it to work.

The Following User Says Thank You to dalonso For This Useful Post:
nope, it won't work. but thanks a lot anyway

Code:
mad ./configure --host armv7l
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
checking build system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking host system type... Invalid configuration `armv7l': machine `armv7l' not recognized
configure: error: /bin/sh ./config.sub armv7l failed
btw is it an L or 1? I've tried both but still no luck

Hi, it's a lowcase L.

It's weird because I just used this command to configure the source package of socat.

The only difference I can think of, if because I'm using the mad from MADDE that comes with Nokia QT SDK, so I have to do:

~/QtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/bin/mad ./configure --host armv7l

but it works.

EDIT: I tried with the sources of pidgin-plugin-pack, and it's true that the --host flag armv7l is not recognized. I do not know what's the difference between the ./configure from socat and the ./configure from pidgin-plugin-pack. I will investigate further.

EDIT2: tried with "--host armel" and it goes further in the configure process. It stops however later claiming about the pkg-config version in madde being too old.

EDIT3: The previous problem with pkg-config is actually both a bug and both the truth of it being old. The bug is already reported (http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/brows...3Aall-tabpanel) and it has a temporary fix consisting in editing ~/QtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/madbin/pkg-config and adding the following line before the lines "use Madde::PkgConfig" as follows:

use lib "../madlib/perl5";
use Madde::PkgConfig;

Nevertheless, the MADDE pkg-config does not support the --atleast-pkgconfig-version expected by configure, so it fails again.

Last edited by dalonso; 2011-03-20 at 14:53.

Hi Figaro,

at last I had success!! In the configure phase, at least ;-)

Do the following:

1) Move away madde's own pkg-config with:

mv ~/QtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/madbin/pkg-config ~/QtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/madbin/pkg-config.old

2) Now ./configure will fallback to your build's machine own pkg-config, but we do not want it to use your build's machine *.pc modules, but the ones installed in the madde's sysroot, so override it with:

export PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=~/QtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/sysroots/fremantle-arm-sysroot-20.2010.36-2-slim/usr/lib/pkgconfig/

3) Check whether it finds libpurple.pc that you need in order to build pidgin-plugin-pack, and it should show 2.7.7

~/QtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/bin/mad pkg-config --modversion purple

4) If it doesn't work, download http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p...nix2_armel.deb and install it with:

~/QtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/bin/mad-admin xdpkg -i libpurple-dev_2.7.7-0nix2_armel.deb

5) At this point, ~/QtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/bin/mad ./configure --host armel ends successfully.

Last edited by dalonso; 2011-03-20 at 16:48.

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ saudi arabia
can someone compile the new versioni for pidgin 2.7.11 so i can use the new plugins for it!

please compile the new pidgin to n900.

the newest version now is pidgin 2.7.11

Pidgin 2.7.11 is out and contains fixes for a Yahoo security issue and adding MSN buddies.

please please please

@dalonso, wow, thanks a lot dude. Too bad I don't have my dev box with me now so I can test it right away.
I think I'll manage spare time on the weekend to do this and analyse further. Thanks a lot for your efforts. I'll let you know when I get something

@dalonso
okay, I've tried this

Code:
$ export PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=/c/NokiaQtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/sysroots/fremantle-arm-sysroot-20.2010.36-2-slim/usr/lib/pkgconfig
$ mad pkg-config --modversion purple

$ mad ./configure --host armel
checking for intltool-update... no
checking for intltool-merge... no
checking for intltool-extract... no
configure: error: The intltool scripts were not found. Please install intltool.
Hmm, seems that I missed intltool. will try to install it later, but at least it's halfway working now
Thanks a lot for your answers. I'll post the result later if I manage to successfully build it. Thanks again

Tags
bada rox