Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
With PR1.0, regardless of how I hold the phone in terms of orientation, it would close the app if I swipe down the app according to the app's orientation. (if i remember correctly)

But with PR1.1, it seems to ignore the app's orientation and just goes by whatever the phone's current orientation is in terms of deciding what is a top-down swipe.

e.g. If the app is a landscape app (eg, while playing a video), if I hold the phone vertically, it will close the app if I swipe top-down (which is actually a left-to-right swipe for the app) So it ignores the app's orientation.

Is this what others are noticing?

It makes me confused which way I should be swiping to close down the app. Bit dumb really.

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ San Fran
I noticed this its a welcome change, swiping down just means down, in the orientation it is in. if the app in landscape like video why would you hold the phone vertical, swiping down to close means exactly that, no matter the orientation. I like it. Its a bit confusing at first cus we are used to swiping top to bottom of the phone and not top to bottom of the app in question.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to warrentaye For This Useful Post:
It was actually like that before or that could've been because I was using swipe manager. Who knows but I noticed that before I updated.

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
How is it confusing?

Top of the device = the top of the device.

But quick question: cant you use swipe manager to fix your confusion?

The Following User Says Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 135 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ San Fran
Originally Posted by dagee04 View Post
It was actually like that before or that could've been because I was using swipe manager. Who knows but I noticed that before I updated.
Nope its different now. Before the update it wouldnt matter how you held the phone or if the app was in landscape you would just swipe top of phone to bottom, Now what happens is that it actually depends on the orientation of the phone, so its swiping top to bottom to close, from the phone perspective and not the actual application.

Last edited by warrentaye; 2011-11-11 at 21:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to warrentaye For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I guess it depends on your preference. To me, swipe top-down means top-down of that particular app. Not some invisible orientation "state" that it's currently in. So yeah, this is definitely not a welcome change for me. =(

e.g. If you lay your N9 flat on the table, how the heck are you supposed to know which orientation it's currently in. It's IMPOSSIBLE.(especially if the foreground app doesn't rotate)

This makes you constantly guess sometimes which way to slide down to close the app. To me, this is just stupid.

Also, swipemanager does not change this.

Originally Posted by slai View Post
How is it confusing?

Top of the device = the top of the device.
There are situations where there is no "top of the device" or it's just wrong.
(laying it flat on table, when lying in bed on the side and holding the phone etc)

Last edited by jakiman; 2011-11-11 at 21:51.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
as posted in the other thread: I would like the option included in swipemanaget (i.e. top=top using the way the app is shown or top of phone)

(laying it flat on table, when lying in bed on the side and holding the phone etc)
So you tip it once to make sure and swipe. See below.

Nope its different now. Before the update it wouldnt matter how you held the phone or if the app was in landscape you would just swipe top of phone to bottom,
Not true. That is not how it worked in PR 1.0.

Open Opera Mobile 11 in PR 1.1, or the video player, see it is landscape, now turn your phone to portrait grip with the nokia logo facing upwards, and swipe down from the logo.

It closes.

So both systems (1.1 and 1.0) require you to lift the damn phone up from your table, to verify where to swipe to close it.

Ok i feel people are talking cross here.

It was defienetly so on PR1.0 that the swipe down to close happened depending on the apps orientation. I still have PR1.0 and the very first thing i did when N9 was released was to enable swipe to close from settings.

So have they now changed it so that swipe to close happens always swipe down (from the Nokia logo) , not depending on the apps orientation? Because that would suck.

Nope, it closes from the top of the device, no matter how youre holding it. Say you hold it with the ffcam upwards (ie upside down in portrait), swiping downwards (from the ffcam end towards the Nokia brand end) will now close the app.

Before it was either the buttonend or the nokialogo end, depending on how you held the device, IIRC.

Does that clear it up? I find it hard to describe without a picture or a video :P .