Originally Posted by johnkzin
Only about half of those steps go away once you've authorized them for automatic pairing. You still have to juggle both devices, turning things on and off (both at the start and end of the session).
I'm not sure I get it - what is it that you have to do at start and end of the session on the phone side? You can leave BT on at all times, just set it to non-broadcasting and it won't use any measurable power (I've got two phones, one is with BT on, i.e. the one I use with my N800, the other with BT off. The battery last equally long on both.)
And what is it you have to do on the NIT side? Either I explicitly turn networking on, and then selecting the phone is no different from selecting a wi-fi network, or I just start an application which needs networking and it'll do it automatically.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2009-06-03 at 13:18. Reason: added quote, added paragraph

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Only about half of those steps go away once you've authorized them for automatic pairing.

My phone and tablet are already authorized for automatic bluetooth pairing. If not, there would be yet more steps. I believe I have seen the fact that you have to manually connect the phone to the Internet called a security "feature".

It should also be said that before I updated (to diablo?) at one time, the NAT hack was somewhat different, and there was no "dummy connection".

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by volt View Post
I believe I have seen the fact that you have to manually connect the phone to the Internet called a security "feature".
Does your phone not offer you the choice of relaxing this security? My crummy Motorola iDEN phone defaults to "Ask" for access by paired Bluetooth devices, but for each device I can easily change that setting to "Automatic".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I'm not sure I get it - what is it that you have to do at start and end of the session on the phone side? You can leave BT on at all times, just set it to non-broadcasting and it won't use any measurable power (I've got two phones, one is with BT on, i.e. the one I use with my N800, the other with BT off.
If you have a look at what the list of steps was, you will see that most of them were to start (connect) ICS. ICS does not start automatically. It has to be enabled and will disable itself when not in use.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by volt View Post
ICS does not start automatically. It has to be enabled and will disable itself when not in use.
Ah! That's...disappointing.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by lma View Post
It really isn't. If they have more than two braincells (and I believe they do) they want a community of users excited about whatever products they are actually making rather than complaining about what could have been.

The "not discussing future devices" policy may actually be working against them in this sense, but they probably (think they) have good reasons for that this time around.

I haven't noticed any Nokians "throwing their weight around" actually. Care to provide an example for those of us who are not awake/don't follow every single thread?
Organizations tend to make decisions as fuzzy as possible because it helps keep dissent to a minimum. There are exceptions, of course.

Since Nokians aren't labled, I might be wrong about which is a Nokian and which is a maemoite. I can't give a definitive list of which is which. There are definitely people throwing their weight around who weren't doing that when ITT existed as a separate entity; at least, they weren't doing that on ITT.

There were also people always throwing their weight around on ITT, but there are more of them now. That's my sense of things.

What are those lines from Yeats' The Second Coming: the worst are full of passionate intensity, the best are unsure? I know that is inaccurate, but it is the correct idea. What rough beast slouches toward Nokia, waiting to be born (the N900, obviously)?

I'm too lazy to look it up now.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Does your phone not offer you the choice of relaxing this security? My crummy Motorola iDEN phone defaults to "Ask" for access by paired Bluetooth devices, but for each device I can easily change that setting to "Automatic".
I can also make it ask for access by a paired Bluetooth device. This would be in addition. The N810 has full bluetooth access. If my phone was WM5, I could have gone online without starting that process from the cell phone.

The added security makes somewhat sense, you may not want to let everyone use your expensive mobile internet even if you let them connect to your phone via bluetooth. However, in actual use, the way they implemented DUN was much easier to use.

Anyway, the point is not to fix the annoyances of ICS@WM6, the point is that with an all-in-one device, you would not have to.

Edit: you don't have to now either, really. Let me rephrase that to "With an all-in-one device, you won't have to deal with the multiplicity of connection issues with all the cell phone platforms and models out there."

Last edited by volt; 2009-06-03 at 13:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I'm not sure I get it - what is it that you have to do at start and end of the session on the phone side? You can leave BT on at all times, just set it to non-broadcasting and it won't use any measurable power (I've got two phones, one is with BT on, i.e. the one I use with my N800, the other with BT off. The battery last equally long on both.)
It's not about battery, it's about security. Leaving BT on all the time is just asking for trouble. (I live in an area where people routinely drive around doing wifi war-driving ... BT isn't that much more obscure, or that much harder to hack)

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Oh, and, for me, it was a Nokia phone, not a WinMo phone. I still found myself doing tons of juggling back and forth. Turn on and off Bluetooth on both devices. Start the connection. Got a text message; answer it. Go back to the NIT. Got another text message; answer it. Go back to the NIT. Got a phone call. Go back to the NIT. Got a text message; answer it. Go back to the NIT.

Even if you're careless about security so that you eliminate those parts ... it's still too much device juggling.

If this is a cell phone and it thrumps the N97 as Nokias most advanced smart phone... Did anyone else beside me speculate about the price for such a phone? Tablet prices are no longer relevant in such a scenario.

What are we talking about, £600?

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile