Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
Mostly open application ecosystem: 467 apps
Closed and draconian application system: 55,000 apps

I'll take #2, please.
Well, if you remove ifart and other uninterestig apps, you will get Only 46 700 apps ... which is 100 x more ...

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by totololo View Post
Well, if you remove ifart and other uninterestig apps, you will get Only 46 700 apps ... which is 100 x more ...
hehehe, a lady should not use such language; only oldfarts can!

1 good app (closed or not) > 100,000 crappy apps : we all know that !

Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
I'm not sure if any of you have played with the iPhone 3GS but it loads extremely complex web pages in a matter of seconds. Very close to desktop performance.
Sure a 600Mhz CPU that tops at 833Mhz when needed (everybody should have seen the Samsung S5PC100 specs sheet by now), 256Mb of DDR ram, and only HVGA to draw could be the culprits...
Oh, wait: not having multitasking, so just one big app at the time is strongly suspected as an accomplice

The Following User Says Thank You to JustNick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Originally Posted by nhanquy View Post
hehehe, a lady should not use such language; only oldfarts can!

1 good app (closed or not) > 100,000 crappy apps : we all know that !
I'm not a lady., 'm just a gay geek.

And for the comparison between crappy apps and good apps, may i suggest you to compare between those 2 :

Gpe Calendar (NIT) ... and you have to add Ermining
Calengoo (I use it and it's perfect, absolutely) :http://calengoo.dgunia.de/Start.html

Clearly the crappy for calendars ... is on the tablet side.

Last edited by totololo; 2009-06-25 at 21:08.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Part of what's funny in this conversation about apps for Linux handhelds and apps for iPhone is how much it resembles old discussions of the apps for Mac versus apps for Microsoft, especially pre-Windows Microsoft. There was plenty to prefer about the Apple interface but it was a more closed system than the Microsoft universe. The DOS adherents would point out (accurately) that there were plenty of DOS (i.e., Microsoft-compatible) apps for which the Apple equivalents really felt like junior varsity.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
How expensive are some of the iphone apps?

Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
Most are free or 99 cents. Those are the popular ones, then some go for 5,10 up to 20 dollars. Then there's the rare few that go even higher. (I am rich app).

Office ones tend to go for 20 I think.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
Almost all of mine were free. If you're quick or diligent, you can catch debuts for either free (Air Sharing, Data Case, 1Password, Transmate, What's On) or for lower prices (BeeJive IM, Quick Office) both for 9.99 at lowered prices.

Then some games cost like 99 cents... but a lot of them have a "lite" version.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ South Florida
Just about every day 'dealnews' (dealnews.com) displays specials/intro prices on new apps...

If you watch you can get most for a $1 or two...

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
After seeing all my friends with their iDevices, and about 20% jailbroken (and I supposedly went to a nerd high school), I don't really think the tablets have anything over the iPhone aside from true multitasking. Unless you are a serious Linux person or IT guy who needs access 100% to all the tools, a jailbroken iPhone gives you access to a Unix terminal and you can fool around with it. The dev community is just so large that any advantage that the openness of competitors provides is just lost.

I for one was amazed at the gaming capabilities of the iPhone. I always thought there were some stupid games on there that no one played, and I loved my GBA emulator on my N810. Then I saw that Assassins Creed game, and it looked and played like a PS1 game. And it also had a GBA emulator.

Even without jailbreaking, I am not too sure how important "open" platforms are...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.