Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by brunelli View Post
Currently it is implemented on the phone:

http://share.gifyoutube.com/yEM3zg.gif

http://i.imgur.com/KWVcZ4l.png
Thanks for the images. Running it frame by frame, I think I now understand it.
It is not always shown in the homescreen, only when peeking from an app to the homescreen.
So done like that it can indeed work, I didn't get it at the first sight.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
what do peeps think of the keyboard

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
what do peeps think of the keyboard
no arrows...sad!

never liked split keyboards so i will go on with a standard.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
if so, i hope this includes the high-end X3 with four cores, lte, and the 7 series mali GPU.
It wouldn't really make sense to launch 3G device as "Jolla 2" when "Jolla 1" wat 4G LTE device...

i also wonder what the omission of X5 and X7 says about the new cherry trail SKU's with the intel Gen8 GPU...
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean... but X5 and X7 are not really viable option for mobile phones because they still lack integrated modem functions. Using discrete modem chip in phone increases complexity, cost and energy consumption which most likely translates as uncompetitive device. I was actually hoping that Intel could integrate those functions to their 14nm offerings...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
I was actually hoping that Intel could integrate those functions to their 14nm offerings...
Yeah, really disappointing, I wonder what recent Anandtech write-ups have to say about that.
Their predictions some time back (which they conceded were pure spec) were quite different.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
A very pleasant surprise is that all those chips have FM radio! One thing that I dearly miss in Jolla.

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/9026/Slide%2023.png

PS: Let's hope it will be wired this time

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean... but X5 and X7 are not really viable option for mobile phones because they still lack integrated modem functions. Using discrete modem chip in phone increases complexity, cost and energy consumption which most likely translates as uncompetitive device. I was actually hoping that Intel could integrate those functions to their 14nm offerings...
Actually, using discrete chipset for baseband processing increases just cost and layout footprint, it necessarily does not increase complexity or energy consumption.

What it does, however, is it enables the OM system to be built without dependencies on unknown binaries that are running as ring 0 processes on your device which is a huge benefit securitywise.

IMHO the current trend of building integrated chipsets with BB processing done on the OM system is real bad idea, it is the result of people settling to mediocry due to pennypinching.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Most devices sold can be considered to be "mediocre" because every approach has it's tradeoffs. On mobile devices is combination of processing power, power consumption/heat dissipation, size and weight, battery life and price. Usually larger layout footprint using more independent chips results in more complex PCB design and increased power consumption. Of course it depends on which components are used, as not all integrated solutions are that energy efficient. It's not just penny pinching but also about cramping more functions to smaller space to enable bigger batteries, sleek designs etc. Also, when it's all integrated, it more or less "just works" compared to having custom solution comprising of different chips (possibly even from different manufacturers) and trying to make them operating with each other seamlessly. On that regard I don't think it's necessarily bad thing.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
N9 homescreen minus app launcher, what is the third view in sailfish OS 2?

The Following User Says Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
No more "Swipe down to close" ????
I hope there is an option like we do have now..

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, nokia